Menu

Does this exist for 2nd grade? fun,hands on,secular science, maybe with Lit links....or some other fun currriculum that is lit based like FIAR??

Um_2_4

So in discussing next year, the twins (going into 2nd) want more "fun hands on stuff". The area I can fit this in is science and read alouds/literature. We've done MOST of the FIAR books, a couple I saved for next year (like 4 I think). Anything else like that???

Is there a science curriculum that is already organized and lots of projects??? I mean I could put it together myself, but why reinvent the wheel right? I just want reading, experiments, etc. No lapbooking/worksheets needed.

We tried the magic school bus subscription and I was less than impressed. I would love something all included.

Any GREAT science kits to recommend?  I have the budget and can order 1-2 a month (depending on $$$) and some picture books to go along if someone knows of awesome kits. (DS7 wants: slime, volcanoes and a life size derby car!! DD7 just wants to "make things").

Older 2 will be doing physical science with Exploration Education. I could just piggy back on those topics.

Or I have been looking at Fairy Tale based STEM on pinterest/teacherpayteachers..... anyone use those???

Just to compare, for next year they have so far:

Handwriting: Dubay book C

Writing: WWE2

Grammar: Finish FLL1 and FLL2

Math: Singapore 2 (use white boards and the textbook and CWP)

Spelling: Spelling Plus (dictation style lists)

Arabic: continuing from materials from overseas (1-2 pages with writing a day)

Phonics: ETC Online

Plus: readingeggs.com/readingexpress.com online, sumdog.com for math facts, read aloud to mom daily, maybe reading challenges for prizes (pages/month etc.)

As a family:

History: World from 1800-today (so finish SOTW3-SOTW4), I don't expect much from this just listen and some read alouds and narrate something

Art: Creativity Express online, plus art appreciation, plus Mark Kistler online drawing lessons (I think)

Geography: Asia, Europe and Oceania (lots of picture books, map coloring and sheppardsoftware to memorize countries)

4H (they are still primaries for another year)

REAL Science Odyssey is secular and has a lot of hands on activities. There are lab sheets, but you could really skip them. There's a short lesson to read, and then the activity. Each book has some recommendations for further reading.

Level 1 has four books for grades 1-4. Life or Earth and Space would be great for second graders. Chemistry is for grades 2-5, and Physics for 3-6.

The Pandia Press website has extensive samples for each book, so you can try them out before you buy.

• Like 1

Another vote for RSO. I recently started Life with my twins, just turned 7, and we all love it and are looking forward to doing Earth and Space in 3rd, then hopefully Chemistry in 4th. We were very disappointed with the science component of their distance school curriculum for first grade this year, which never went much farther than "count how many baby teeth you have and write the number in the blank" or "Draw a picture of what a tree looks like in winter." I wanted something secular, systematic and progressive that they can build on each year, with lots of hands-on stuff--and all laid out for me because I am already stretched thin. ;-)

• Like 1

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding does take some parent work, but has great book suggestions in each section plus suggestions for hands on demonstrations for each topic.

But our best success has been in finding Thames and Kosmos kits on Amazon for a variety of topics. Certainly hands on, and their kits have generally been good quality and fun.

• Like 1

Another vote for RSO here if you like lots of hands on science. It has really been a hit for my kids. I wondered at first how much they were actually grasping but they really show a good understanding for their age. I also picked up RS4K just for some additional reading time with the kids. It has worked well!