Menu

Henty

Excelsior! Academy

I googled and came across this thread http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/140230-where-to-start-with-ga-henty-books/ I didn't want to resurrect an old thread, so I am creating a new one.

We own several of the Henty books, purchased from a company that, ahem, is no longer in existence. As I recently researched Henty, I have learned that several of them are blatantly racist.  This alarms me!  We have read and loved The Cat of Bubastes.  That particular book is also listed in many book lists.  While I wouldn't purchase the set today, should we toss the lot of them?   Are any of them of value? 

As far as curricular value, I think this is one of those subjects where you have to determine for yourself if those books fit into your ethical framework, and/or if they don't, then if they are of any value as a comparative teaching tool.

As far as monetary value, Henty books have none of any significance. 

• Like 1

I like them, but they are a product of their time and worldview. Just like any number of other works we discuss accordingly. I don't think they're necessary for a well rounded program but they also aren't useless or irredeemable drivel. We have them on audiobook by Jim Weiss (and a few by Jim Hodges too!) and are perfectly fine using them with our family. But we also aren't shy to point out comments or even underlying narrative assumptions we disagree with and why.

We had an audio book and loved it. It wasn't obviously racist but there was a definite undertone of the superiority of the white English male to everyone else... It did cram a lot of history in to the adventure so that felt positive.

It's good to know that I should probably pre read and not just hand them over.

• Like 1

I think a lot depends on how you and your kids read.  There is that weird kind of colonial optimism in the tone, but I think that can sometimes be rather enjoyble in a light novel. 

I don't think the Henty books are really great lit though, so that should be weighed in the balance.  And depending on the ages of the kids, I'd preread for really objectionable material.

As long as you discuss the worldview (and how yours differs), I don't think you should get rid of them.  Then again, I have a whole section of "controversial" or "banned" books, I just have a special bookmark in them that says something like, "If you decide to read this, talk to Mom before and after... It's controversial."

Then we talk about why it's controversial and how they feel about it.

• Like 2