Menu

After 2 weeks of no shampoo...

Moxie

I went through a "natural" beauty routine phase.  I don't mean that disparagingly towards those who make a concerted effort to go natural, it just happened to be a phase for me.  

Then I remember thinking... ok, SLS is a huge skin and eye irritant, I get that.  So switch to natural bar soap?  The ingredients of bar soap are ash and LYE, which will burn your skin off or blind you!  So after making that little realization, I'm less apt to pick apart the ingredients on a bottle of magic chemical goo that makes me look pretty.  

I'm not saying I'd use ANYTHING in the name of beauty, and certainly I continue to be drawn towards less gunk and junk is better, but, I've lost my fanaticism entirely.   Also, starting to get wrinkles so... lab-created chemicals... here I come!  :leaving:

• Like 7

To be honest, these seems like "freaky chemicals" to be putting directly on your scalp. Vinegar and baking soda is considered gentle cleaning for the skin? Not in my book. 

Now just because they are also the same chemicals recommended for naturally cleaning your oven doesn't mean they don't belong in your hair... oh wait...   :laugh:

Whatever works!  

• Like 3

I have been thinking about this, and I bet if you added some essential oils to the baking soda and vinegar your hair would thrive. I am confident that is what my oil pushing friend would say. Because essential oils take care of everything. The government just doesn't want you to know.

Full disclosure, I do use essential oils but my oil pushing friend drives me nuts.

• Like 8

I have been thinking about this, and I bet if you added some essential oils to the baking soda and vinegar your hair would thrive. I am confident that is what my oil pushing friend would say. Because essential oils take care of everything. The government just doesn't want you to know.

Full disclosure, I do use essential oils but my oil pushing friend drives me nuts.

Oh, for sure!! Oils are a natural product so Big Pharma (aka Chemical Pushers, Inc.) can't patent them so they are hella pissed and out to destroy The Oils. Kicking myself for not remembering that Truth earlier in my experiment.

• Like 2

I recently discovered that sulfur soap gets rid of my rosacea. The likely reason - it kills the skin mites that are probably causing the skin problem. Did you know that everyone has microscopic skin mites? Cuz I sure didn't. My skin looks better than it has in years!

My scalp had the same bumpy, itchy, flaky problem that my face did. I had used dandruff shampoos for years with no relief. Turns out that sulfur shampoo fixed it, so I'm guessing it was also the mites. Now that these problems are gone I can use the sulfur shampoo once per week to maintain my scalp. The rest of the time I just rinse extra oils off my hair and redistribute them using hot water, and then condition the ends. My curly hair finally looks great - no grease, flakes, or frizz.

Amy, what brand of soap are you using for your face?

I know that no poo is supposed to be great for curly hair, but after several attempts, I have realized that my scalp likes shampoo. For me, learning to wash my hair less (once or twice a week instead of every time I showered) and using a curl specific shampoo works so much better for me.

• Like 3

I mixed up a battle of baking soda and water to wash with and rinsed with a bottle of ACV and water. This was done every morning in the shower.

-ACV smells. No matter how much I rinsed, I could still smell it. My towel smelled, my bathroom smelled.

-A bottle of water sitting in the shower stays just barely above freezing. Unpleasant running down your back to say the least.

-My hair took longer to dry. I can't explain it but it did.

-While my hair didn't look greasy, it certainly didn't look good. I kept waiting for that day when all the chemical-induced frizz would disappear but that never happened. My hair was quite a bit flatter on top and it didn't feel clean to the touch.

-I smelled like a pickle.

I used my Suave this morning and it was fabulous.

:smilielol5: You smelled like a pickle. Bwahahaha.

That really tickled my funny bone.

PS I currently smell like I just fell in a cow pat. My hair is freshly henna-ed. Ever so ... earthy.

• Like 2