Menu

Living in a 5th wheel trailer for 3 months...family of 6

AnthemLights

I would do it in a flash IF IF IF a large deck was built outside the door with an awning for taking boots and shoes off before entering the camper. Or failing that, a large patch of astroturf. Or at any rate, someplace where you can undress a muddy or sandy child and get them into clean clothes or send them to play and stay clean for a minute. I am no clean freak. We go months without vacuuming. But I have lived with 4yo boys in the woods in small living spaces and Ifionlyhadabrain is totally right about mud and sand being a HUGE problem. I would rather do without running water than that deck. You could put a wading pool for the 4yo on the deck, too. You can sit with your feet in it when you want to relax. You could put a picnic table on it and get in and out of the camper with food without tracking dirt in or having to get in and out of shoes. We have slipon shoes- clogs or flip flops for when it is raining so we can do quick outside errands and take our shoes off on a mat just inside the door, or if it is a camper, outside under the awning. Leaves and pine needles don't bother me at all but dirt and sand inside gets into the bunks really fast. Your bunk is your living space in a camper. And... your 16yo is going to be a problem at night, so you might need to retire to the car for privacy after the kids are asleep.

Nan

The great thing about a deck is that in the colder monthhs, it can be made into a sun/toy/mud room. Framing it in and stapling (using industrial tools) those thicker plastic film sheets on the sides and top works fine.

• Like 1

OMG, you should build a cooking pavilion! I've been to camps that had them. It's like a shed with a fridge, stove, and sink. You can close the door to keep out animals and the elements. You could even get a washer/dryer in there while you're temporary. It's connected to a slab or deck that holds 2-4 picnic tables. And is covered. My uncle had one with a fireplace at one end (no "shed" part for a kitchen) and we used it for so many large family gatherings.

When you're moved in to the house, you'd still have this great outdoor space for large gatherings, canning, outdoor schooling, hanging hammocks, science labs, any messy projects, etc. then all you'd need is a toilet/shower and a box with windows to live in.

This sounds so cool! Off to tell dh I have a new plan!

3 months? It could be 6 or 9 or 12 months. Things happen...  Also, if you then sell the 5th wheel trailer, there's no guarantee that you will not lose a lot of money.

Usually, things take longer than anticipated at the beginning.  Occasionally, projects are finished on time, but often, they take much longer.

If it is a DIY project worked on at night and on weekends...

• Like 1

This whole thread is really fascinating as we contemplate our options that we'd like to get rolling on this year.

But this "kit" you mentioned really jumped out at me. I don't mean to hijack the thread so if you wouldn't mind messaging me a link? I'd be so grateful! Googling now to see what I can find on it...

sure!

basically, we are buying a kit which will include pre-assembled parts of the frame, cladding, roofing etc. everything we need to get a house to lock up stage. you can buy kits that include literally everything including appliances. The kit is delivered (in stages) where the owner arranges for it to be built - which is why it's called 'owner building'. If you're handy then you can do a lot of the building yourself - check your laws though!

I think this is a pretty good run down for USA options.

https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/assembly-required-15-diy-kit-homes-44417#.WP0WnBmuZAg

• Like 1

I live in a Class B by myself for half the month while I work out of town. All one needs to survive is some way to deal with waste, to obtain water, and to create electricity. If you have those three things, then the worst part is dealing with bruises. I am constantly bumping into something in that small space. Lol.

• Like 1