Menu

selling clothes?

Noreen Claire

A high school friend dropped off 3 large bags of her boys' outgrown clothes today, plus a box of shoes. While there is a lot of good stuff, it won't fit my DS8 for at least 2 years, maybe more. The clothes include a lot of brand names. The shoes, six pairs of Air Jordans plus another pair of Nikes, all look like they were only worn a handful of times.

My question is - is it worth selling clothes/shoes online? My original plan was to keep the 'classic' things (jeans, khakis, sweaters) and donate the 'trendy' stuff (skinny jeans/sweats, tshirts, etc). However, I was thinking that maybe it might be worth the hassle to sell the best of it, so to not have to store it for 2+ years before it fits? Does anyone have any experience with selling clothes online?

(FWIW, I have a wall of plastic totes in the basement where I keep all of DS8's clothes to be passed down to DS5, DS2, and the baby. I have totes for every size from newborn to size 10, so two more totes isn't that big a deal.)

Would the friend who gave the things to you have a problem with this? Because it is possible she meant to do you a big favor and views herself as generously giving you things she could consign or sell herself but rather gave to you so your son could enjoy them. If none of those things are so, then you could try ebay. A lot of folks sell nice clothing on ebay, though I have not done it.

I take my better stuff to a consignment shop. I don't get a ton of money for it, but I don't have to do diddly with them either.

• Like 4

I might feel a little funny selling clothes that a friend donated to me.  BUT, if you think that wouldn't be a problem and if you do that, I would sell the really good quality, name brand stuff on a site like eBay.  Other clothes that are in good shape I'd try and sell through a consignment shop.  The rest I'd donate.

• Like 1

I had put a feeler out on facebook a few months back asking if anyone had any games that they didn't want anymore (we've been doing a lot of game playing here lately). She told me she had games and also offered clothes. (She didn't drop off any games, just clothes.) She told me to donate whatever we didn't want of the clothes, but I would ask her if she minded me selling some, if that's what I decide to do. That box of shoes, in particular, looks like it could worth the effort... 

I follow some blogs online of people selling things on Ebay and having a lot of luck with it.

www.shethrifts.com

I didn't have that much luck selling stuff on there.  But then again I didn't have the inventory that she has listed at 2 -3 thousand things.

I think though that is where you make the most.

You can try other things like Swap.com or threadup, but you won't make a lot.  But a lot easier.  Ebay is a lot more work. 

You could also do local sites.  

• Like 1

Do you have a "Once Upon a Child" store? They will give you cash on spot, but it's not much. I took some of ds' old clothes there once. A lot of consignment stores I have looked into have way too much red tape for me. "Bring only XYZ brands. Must be on a hanger. We sell at 50% retail and you keep even less than that." etc etc. My hangers are worth more to me than some of the items :laugh:

• Like 1