Menu

SOTW 1 or Child's History of the World?

ktgrok

My kids are younger, but we're slowly doing CHOW as part of Morning Time. They love it. I am one of the ones that thinks SOTW can be appreciated a bit later than 1st grade. (Probably because Sonlight had us use it for 7&8 grade and it was wonderful switch from PS to homeschool). Anyway, I'm a fan. I say go for it and you can still use SOTW later. :)

You're Catholic right? Am I remembering wrong?

Either way, the TAN Story of Civilization audiobook on audible is thumbs up. It's just really Catholic once they get up to Jesus being born.

We listened to SOTW and chow audio, too.

Edited by OKBud

I'm asking myself the same question right now for my rising 2nd grader!  We used Sonlight B and C years ago and those cores spread out CHOW over two years adding in extras.  It seemed like a good fit at the time.  The kids and I enjoyed it.  We've really enjoyed the pace of BF Early American this year and would like to continue with  something like this (reading great books, narrating, and notebooking).  I am wondering whether I can use CHOW as a spine and just add in extra books like you were saying - I just don't want to do the planning.   ;)

Edited by sandra in va

We used the first half of CHOW our first year as a part of Sonlight. This year we are using SOTW Volume 2 "Sonlight style". I think you can use either of those books as a spine, and add in lost of fun coordinating read-alouds. My kids and I seem to prefer SOTW to CHOW. 

You're Catholic right? Am I remembering wrong?

Either way, the TAN Story of Civilization audiobook on audible is thumbs up. It's just really Catholic once they get up to Jesus being born.

We listened to SOTW and chow audio, too.

I am Catholic, yes. I was just looking at TAN's Story of Civ but reviews say it is only western civilizations, nothing at all about China, etc which kind of turns me off. Not ruling it out, but not happy about that part. 

I am Catholic, yes. I was just looking at TAN's Story of Civ but reviews say it is only western civilizations, nothing at all about China, etc which kind of turns me off. Not ruling it out, but not happy about that part.

Correct. But it's more thorough with what it does cover. Its a great audiobook.

Oh! I did just think of this...It's slightly more hardcore than sotw. Irt things like battles.

One of my kids loved CHOW, the other could hardly stay awake while we read it (but they both enjoyed SOTW).  Can you read a few chapters and see how it goes?  SOTW as an audiobook with the coloring pages and activity book was really fun, but also a lot more work than just reading CHOW.

Another vote for TAN Story of Civilization.  We definitely enjoy the Child's History of the World audio cd, but we recently purchased Volume 1 (Ancients) of the TAN Story of Civilization audio cd and we LOVE it.  My kids enjoy all history audiobooks, but Story of Civilization is their favorite.

After enjoying the cds so much, I decided to buy the textbook, activity book, and teacher's manual that go with it.  I didn't purchase the test book because at this age I'm just looking for a captivating history curriculum filled with storytime, activities, and basic comprehension "oral testing" and the tests didn't seem necessary for our purposes. So far we've only used the audio cds (since this is really for my rising 1st grader's next year curriculum) but the activities look fun.  

I plan to supplement with a few children's books about ancient China, etc. to get a little more coverage in those areas, but overall it has been our favorite history "spine" we have seen, with CHOW being our #2 pick.  I think SOTW is good, but not quite as engaging for our family as either CHOW or Story of Civilization.

Don't other people read or listen to more than one history book per year? I can't be alone in this!

We do!  Well, at least we listen to more than one.  While the TAN audio dramatizations are our family's favorite, we regularly rotate in CHOW and some of the Jim Weiss cds.  (We spend entirely too much time in the car!)

We're going to use TAN as our spine, but we also really enjoy supplementing with history picture books.

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to the sample of "Story of Civilization" and was so impressed, then I purchased it and realized that a majority of it is not like that. Disappointed. :( Jim Weiss CD's are still better.

Bummer it wasn't how you wanted it to be.

I'm curious what you thought it was like?

I listened to the sample of "Story of Civilization" and was so impressed, then I purchased it and realized that a majority of it is not like that. Disappointed. :( Jim Weiss CD's are still better.

How was the rest different?

SaveSave

Interesting...We still love of our Jim Weiss cd's, but after listening to Story of Civilization, the Jim Weiss cd's sometimes seem just a little bit "flat" by comparison. Don't get me wrong, we still love Jim Weiss and will continue to buy him too. I think a lot of it is the background music in Story of Civilization. For us, it lends a bit of dramatic tension and excitement I suppose. They're both great products though!

I like to supplement the more comprehensive Story of Civilization with Jim Weiss cds since the scope of the individual Jim Weiss cds is much more limited and they sometimes contain more detailed stories.

Edited by bltex