Menu

Well Trained Bodies - 4/16/17

Granny_Weatherwax

I'm preparing for the diet reboot. Still trying to decide which approach to take...

Has anyone used Paleo Restart? I can't decide if any of the plans that require payment are worth it. 

I'm enjoying a gradual switch-over to more and more healthy, pure foods. It's expensive to do everything all at once. I also want this to become a permanent change, so I'm taking my time to see what really makes a difference and what doesn't. I also want to have the whole family on-board. A complete change might be too much of a shock to some family members, as well as my digestive system.

So far, I'm loving making my own pizza and scones with wheat from our local museum (organic), pure maple syrup from a small, family operation (no harsh preservatives), whole milk, vegetables from a higher quality grocery store (I haven't gone organic just yet), very few processed foods, spice mixtures, sauces or salad dressings. I'm also trying to get more beans and lentils into the meals. This is a hard sell for some family members. And I'm noticing that some meats are harder for my system to deal with (pork and beef). I'm having to play around with things a little.

• Like 5

I went to a bodyweight/functional movement class yesterday. We worked bear walks, frog jumps and monkey movements. Then we hit l-sits, pull-ups, shrimp squats, plank to pike slides and various other things. I'm sore. 

This week's wrap-up:

bodyweight work M/F == missed Wed, my period came and I just didn't feel good

fair amount of walking nothing long but little jaunts here and there

oodles of work around here, moving stuff, gardening, raking, etc. etc. I worked my butt off for many, many hours

I'm preparing for the diet reboot. Still trying to decide which approach to take...

Has anyone used Paleo Restart? I can't decide if any of the plans that require payment are worth it.

I've not. It looks like the big plus is the menu plans, which I know I wouldn't use. I hate following someone else's plan, it works much better just to make my own. 

BUT it obviously works for plenty of people as it seems fairly popular. 

I try to make my meals a mix of really simple meals that I'm used to cooking and trying new stuff here and there. 

• Like 3

After kickboxing today I wanted to try deadlifts. I was using a barbell that was 60 lbs and I could do it pretty easily. However, I stopped because my forearms and hands were starting to feel very uncomfortable. Is this just part of it? Am I doing something wrong? I could probably lift more but I really disliked how my hands were feeling. I'm also not interested in getting bigger hands!

• Like 5

After kickboxing today I wanted to try deadlifts. I was using a barbell that was 60 lbs and I could do it pretty easily. However, I stopped because my forearms and hands were starting to feel very uncomfortable. Is this just part of it? Am I doing something wrong? I could probably lift more but I really disliked how my hands were feeling. I'm also not interested in getting bigger hands!

Yes, that is very common that your grip strength can't handle the weight even though your legs/back can.  My son bought grip straps for that and loves them - they have made a huge difference for him.  I know some people say they shouldn't be used, but he is very happy.

• Like 5

Diet question - do you eat less on days you can't/don't exercise?  I exercise a lot so it makes a big difference in how many calories I burn each day.  We have an event coming up and I won't be able to exercise that day plus we'll be spending the whole day sitting (traveling and then for the event).  I'll be packing my food for breakfast/lunch and then we'll be eating dinner out.  

We have vacation coming up soon, too - I am really worried about gaining a significant amount of weight during our trip due to much less exercise and a LOT more food.

• Like 4

For one day, no. 

For a vacation, also no. But I try to focus on treating myself to food I delight in on the vacation instead of just eating everything because treat yoself. So I'll have a light breakfast when I'm looking at a crappy hotel continental breakfast and then enjoy something decadent at lunch. I really don't want to spend my vacation worrying over food. I know how to lose weight and if I need to, I can lose it afterwards. 

• Like 5

Yes, on deadlifts and squats, I am limited by what my upper body can handle (in my case, it's my upper back, neck, and shoulders that protest). They are such good exercises that I do them anyway. But I think that's why the leg press has become my favorite: I am limited only by the strength of my legs. So I get to lift larger amounts of weight on the leg press than I can on deadlifts. And I like being able to write those bigger numbers in my exercise journal. :D

Diet question - do you eat less on days you can't/don't exercise?  I exercise a lot so it makes a big difference in how many calories I burn each day.  We have an event coming up and I won't be able to exercise that day plus we'll be spending the whole day sitting (traveling and then for the event).  I'll be packing my food for breakfast/lunch and then we'll be eating dinner out.  

We have vacation coming up soon, too - I am really worried about gaining a significant amount of weight during our trip due to much less exercise and a LOT more food.

For a single day of missed exercise, I don't worry about it. But for a vacation I do. That's not to say I don't indulge on vacation! That's part of the fun of vacation! But if I let my standards go for every meal, then two things happen (not even including weight gain): first of all it stops feeling indulgent and I just don't enjoy it that much, and secondly I get really bloated and uncomfortable. Maybe that's just me, I don't know. I try to stick to my dietary "rules" for most of my meals, but indulge when it's really worth it. So, say if hubby and daughter want to stop at Dairy Queen for ice cream, I just drink an iced tea or something. But if we happen upon a French bakery with creme brûlée, now that's worth it!

• Like 5

I naturally vary how much I eat day to day. On days I am super active it is not uncommon that I might eat a lot less than usual, as exercise decreases my appetite in the short term(I make up for it in the following days). On vacation, I might not exercise but we are generally active, sure we have had plenty of days driving as we've done massive road trips but a few days here and there isn't that big of a deal in the long term. On vacation, I splurge here and there but I don't go hogwild the whole time. I might eat some big meals or eat some things I don't normally eat but I still eat well most of the time. I just feel better when I eat well so that is a good motivator for me, i don't want to feel bad while on vacation.

• Like 5

For one day, no. 

For a vacation, also no. But I try to focus on treating myself to food I delight in on the vacation instead of just eating everything because treat yoself. So I'll have a light breakfast when I'm looking at a crappy hotel continental breakfast and then enjoy something decadent at lunch. I really don't want to spend my vacation worrying over food. I know how to lose weight and if I need to, I can lose it afterwards. 

We're going to an all-inclusive and I think the food is going to be so good!  I know I can lose the weight when we get home, but I am worried my clothes won't fit by the end of the week!   :ohmy:

• Like 2

We're going to an all-inclusive and I think the food is going to be so good!  I know I can lose the weight when we get home, but I am worried my clothes won't fit by the end of the week!   :ohmy:

I also tend to gravitate towards foods that I can't make or foods that are expensive for me if it's an all-inclusive type of deal. Like, I will eat SO MANY berries and SO MUCH fish, but ignore the mac and cheese even if it's really really good because I can also make really really good mac and cheese. 

• Like 7

I don't vary my diet much from one day to the next based on my exercise. I was having a Cliff bar after cross-country skiing, and I might have a granola bar after tennis (and a glass of wine). But otherwise I just eat my normal breakfast, lunch and dinner amounts. If I'm really hungry, I'll snack between meals or in the evening. 

On vacations I don't restrict my diet, I just enjoy myself. My body will regulate. One week is really short in the grand scheme of things. 

• Like 4

I got in a walk alone and with the dog this afternoon. Tonight is the last doubles tennis competitive match of the winter league. We play a challenging team, so we're going to have to work really hard. I hope it's fun, at least. This team is renown for arguing over the score. It's a pain having to deal with - and the ladies are the guilty ones. The guys are pleasant.

• Like 4

I'm enjoying a gradual switch-over to more and more healthy, pure foods. It's expensive to do everything all at once. I also want this to become a permanent change, so I'm taking my time to see what really makes a difference and what doesn't. I also want to have the whole family on-board. A complete change might be too much of a shock to some family members, as well as my digestive system.

So far, I'm loving making my own pizza and scones with wheat from our local museum (organic), pure maple syrup from a small, family operation (no harsh preservatives), whole milk, vegetables from a higher quality grocery store (I haven't gone organic just yet), very few processed foods, spice mixtures, sauces or salad dressings. I'm also trying to get more beans and lentils into the meals. This is a hard sell for some family members. And I'm noticing that some meats are harder for my system to deal with (pork and beef). I'm having to play around with things a little.

I've not. It looks like the big plus is the menu plans, which I know I wouldn't use. I hate following someone else's plan, it works much better just to make my own. 

BUT it obviously works for plenty of people as it seems fairly popular. 

I try to make my meals a mix of really simple meals that I'm used to cooking and trying new stuff here and there. 

Thanks! The recipes are what's tempting me. I wouldn't follow the meal plans exactly because they wouldn't all work for me as is, but I think I might add some of the recipes into my rotation. 

I've been dealing with dietary restrictions for almost a decade now, so I'm used to tweaking, but it gets tiresome at times.  Paleo recipes often don't require any adjusting which is one reason I tend to use them more than other types.

• Like 3

Thanks! The recipes are what's tempting me. I wouldn't follow the meal plans exactly because they wouldn't all work for me as is, but I think I might add some of the recipes into my rotation. 

I've been dealing with dietary restrictions for almost a decade now, so I'm used to tweaking, but it gets tiresome at times.  Paleo recipes often don't require any adjusting which is one reason I tend to use them more than other types.

Well, they do include the cookbook, it's $35, and they have a 60-day money-back guarantee. But that's kinda expensive for a cookbook if all you want is recipes. I'd be more inclined to get a couple of paleo cookbooks with good amazon reviews and just make a deal with myself that I have to test x new recipes per week. But then I much prefer paper cookbooks anyway because unlike my kindle, a bit of splatter gives them character instead of damage. 

Sometimes when I want to do something new and I know what the protein or vegetable is going to be (usually based on what I scrounged on sale), I open one of my favorite cookbooks, count the number of recipes, and generate a random number to pick one. But this is because I am a terrible nerd. 

• Like 4

I'm in the same boat, this fall will make 12 yrs ago that I started this stuff, first with the SCD diet for ds and myself. I've been mostly paleoish/grain free since then (before that I ate traditional whole foods diet). I totally get being tired of it. I love to cook but sometimes I just don't want to. Sometimes it is worth it to try something new for a change and with a money back guarantee you are only out time if it doesn't work.

• Like 3

Well, they do include the cookbook, it's $35, and they have a 60-day money-back guarantee. But that's kinda expensive for a cookbook if all you want is recipes. I'd be more inclined to get a couple of paleo cookbooks with good amazon reviews and just make a deal with myself that I have to test x new recipes per week. But then I much prefer paper cookbooks anyway because unlike my kindle, a bit of splatter gives them character instead of damage. 

Sometimes when I want to do something new and I know what the protein or vegetable is going to be (usually based on what I scrounged on sale), I open one of my favorite cookbooks, count the number of recipes, and generate a random number to pick one. But this is because I am a terrible nerd. 

:laugh:

I'm in the same boat, this fall will make 12 yrs ago that I started this stuff, first with the SCD diet for ds and myself. I've been mostly paleoish/grain free since then (before that I ate traditional whole foods diet). I totally get being tired of it. I love to cook but sometimes I just don't want to. Sometimes it is worth it to try something new for a change and with a money back guarantee you are only out time if it doesn't work.

You both make a good point about the money-back guarantee. I'm not sure that I noticed that before. Thanks! 

• Like 3

I can totally understand the fear of undoing all the hard work of losing weight!  I'm facing a similar trip in the summer.  Can you squeeze any workouts in at all?  I'm going to try my best to get some workouts in because every little bit helps. I'm going to try to get some HIIT workouts in the hotel gym.  Even if I do gain weight, I hope to keep my endurance and strength.  I worked for hours to get to where I am now, so I don't want to let it go.  

• Like 5

The tennis match was as bad as I was expecting, unfortunately. My partners weren't playing well, and the opponents played their usual game - lots of lobbing, poor line and let calls. I'm glad that match is over. I can move on to play with much more enjoyable people. 

• Like 5

I can totally understand the fear of undoing all the hard work of losing weight!  I'm facing a similar trip in the summer.  Can you squeeze any workouts in at all?  I'm going to try my best to get some workouts in because every little bit helps. I'm going to try to get some HIIT workouts in the hotel gym.  Even if I do gain weight, I hope to keep my endurance and strength.  I worked for hours to get to where I am now, so I don't want to let it go.  

I am still planning on squeezing in workouts on the days we aren't traveling.  But it won't be anything like my workout routine at home and I will be eating way more than I do at home.  I'm trying not to worry about the number on the scale because I know I can take the weight off, but I'm worried my clothes won't fit by the end of the week!  

• Like 1

I am still planning on squeezing in workouts on the days we aren't traveling.  But it won't be anything like my workout routine at home and I will be eating way more than I do at home.  I'm trying not to worry about the number on the scale because I know I can take the weight off, but I'm worried my clothes won't fit by the end of the week!  

As long as your clothes aren't skin-tight this shouldn't happen in one week regardless of how much you eat. But if you're seriously concerned, take along a maxi dress or elastic-waist skirt/pants just in case. 

• Like 3

Are you visiting people that will force-feed you? Why are you expecting to eat way more than at home? You may not have access to the exact same foods as at home, but that doesn't mean you have to eat huge amounts. Just do the best you can, and don't stress about it. 

• Like 1

Are you visiting people that will force-feed you? Why are you expecting to eat way more than at home? You may not have access to the exact same foods as at home, but that doesn't mean you have to eat huge amounts. Just do the best you can, and don't stress about it. 

No, no one will force feed me!   :laugh: But I will be going from a pretty strict diet at home where I don't eat three big meals a day to an all-inclusive where I do plan on indulging and we will be eating three meals a day.  I am looking forward to the break from my restrictive diet at home.  Plus I burn a lot of calories exercising when I'm home and that won't happen on vacation so that will be a big change in my daily calories as well.  

No, no one will force feed me!   :laugh: But I will be going from a pretty strict diet at home where I don't eat three big meals a day to an all-inclusive where I do plan on indulging and we will be eating three meals a day.  I am looking forward to the break from my restrictive diet at home.  Plus I burn a lot of calories exercising when I'm home and that won't happen on vacation so that will be a big change in my daily calories as well.  

Nothin' like a bit of self-induced torture while on vacation. ;)  I guess your stomach will either explode, or your pants will.  :laugh:

• Like 3

Nothin' like a bit of self-induced torture while on vacation. ;)  I guess your stomach will either explode, or your pants will.  :laugh:

Yes, I'm a little worried that my eyes are going to be bigger than my stomach and I'm going to be sorry after the first time I indulge!  That will teach me a lesson.  

• Like 3

Yes, I'm a little worried that my eyes are going to be bigger than my stomach and I'm going to be sorry after the first time I indulge!  That will teach me a lesson.  

As a serious tip, at a buffet -- if you are one of those people who feels compelled to finish their plates (like me) -- take a tiny, tiny portion of everything that looks interesting, so that you can go back for more only of the stuff that is really, really good rather than loading your plate up with stuff that's only mediocre. 

• Like 3

I haven't posted all week, so here is a recap. After skipping Monday, I dragged myself to the club on Tuesday, mostly because of the kids, and it actually made me feel much better. So I fenced the rest of the week. And yesterday was really hot outside, so we bit the bullet and heated our new pool, and I got to swim in it for the first time. Finally, a year of torture of dealing with contractors paid off, and I got in the sixth day of some workout.  I think today will be my lazy day, although I did go out to trim some roses this morning.

• Like 3

As a serious tip, at a buffet -- if you are one of those people who feels compelled to finish their plates (like me) -- take a tiny, tiny portion of everything that looks interesting, so that you can go back for more only of the stuff that is really, really good rather than loading your plate up with stuff that's only mediocre. 

That's a great idea!  I don't feel compelled to finish my plate, but I like the idea of tasting stuff before I decide if I want a larger quantity.  Fortunately, my sons or DH will usually finish off foods I decide aren't worth the calories so they don't go to waste.  

• Like 2

Well, I think I am as ready for my Whole30 as I can reasonably get. I planned out dinners for the week, and bought supplies for quick and easy breakfasts, lunches, and snacks. (I don't normally snack but I'm giving myself advanced permission to snack the first week if I need to, since my body will be "readjusting" to different fuel.). I made clarified butter and mayo. If I missed anything, I guess I'll find out soon enough!

Exercise was pretty much my usual routine this week. Nothing exciting to report, but I did stay active.

• Like 3