Menu

Homeschooling for family bonding

What are your favorite resources - books/blogs/curriculum  et c. - for someone who is considering spending a year or two homeschooling to help form strong family bonds? 

Many thanks!

Edited by Bocky

Maybe one of the literature based programs, something like Build Your Library or Bookshark? If the children are close in age I would be looking to do read alouds, nature study, and some hands on history and science and art/craft projects together. 

Timberdoodle has some interesting looking packages though I haven't tried them.

If bonding is the key issue I would keep core academics simple--whatever works at the appropriate level for math and language arts--and aim for mutual enjoyment with all the extras.

• Like 3

Don't have any specific resources for you off the top of my head, other than Rainbow Resource catalog has loads of kits and fun hands-on supplements for homeschooling. Just some overall ideas for family bonding and homeschooling:

Morning together time ("power hour" or other fun name) -- a pot-pourri of ideas to choose from:

- yoga or stretching

- family devotional time

- read-aloud from a book on etiquette/manners (ex: Dude That's Rude) or other "oddball" topic of interest/need

- together do a few fun critical thinking puzzles, mazes, read and try to solve a mini-mystery (Encyclopedia Brown

- listen to/sing along with traditional folk tunes from U.S. History (Wee Sing America)

- read about other countries/cultures/religions

- art/music appreciation of a work of art or piece of music

- work on memorizing something all together (poems; states/capitals; list of U.S. presidents; preamble to the Constitution; order of solar system planets; math facts songs...)

Evening read-aloud as a family all together, from an exciting book or series.

Weekly field trips and educational games done all together as a family as educational supplements AND as memory-building events/family together time.

While Math and Language Arts areas usually need to be done individually, there are many subjects that can be combined if the age spread isn't too wide -- History, Geography, Science, Art/Music... And use lots of kits, projects and other resources that allow you to "walk and talk" and build relationship together AS you do the learning.

Be sure to schedule regular weekly time for an "elective" type of class/activity for developing some fun hobbies together as a family -- soldering electronics kits; cooking/baking; cake decorating; wood-working; jewelry-making; whittling; knitting/crotcheting/sewing... Again, doing or building/making something together builds relationship and allows for natural/relaxed time to talk while hands and eyes are busy with the doing/making...

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

On the book list: Mere Motherhood by Cindy Rollins. If that resonates, then get her Morning Time book next. You can never go wrong with For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay either. I also liked Teaching From Rest, by Sarah Mackenzie. I think any of those could help encourage homeschooling as a way to promote  healthy family bonds. 

Lots of read-alouds, exploring together, playing board games, etc. I'd teach math separately, but almost everything else together.

:Iagree:

Take a look at Layers of Learning. As time moves on, I like this curriculum more instead of finding all sorts of things not to like about it.

http://layers-of-learning.com

The authors are making steady progress in completing year 4 and I doubt that this will be yet another unfinished project, that people got hooked into starting and then are left abandoned.

The quality and consistency of the new modules is excellent. It is common for authors to change style as they write a long project. I haven't seen any of that here.

This program rocks for special needs and family style teaching. It is incredibly adaptable.

These two authors impress me, and I am REALLY hard to impress with new curriculum. i won't give my final review until I see this project finished and see the last modules for myself, but as we close in on the finish line, I'm cheering these ladies on.

• Like 2

No real suggestions though I agree with everything above- but lots of solidarity. I homeschool for a lot of reasons but bonding my 3 adopted from foster care, elementary aged children is a really big one.

I know two other families as well that homeschooled their later adopted kids, both for just 2-3 years, and have ZERO regrets.

• Like 3