Menu

Wrapping a cake

Night Elf

I'm baking a pineapple upside down cake. The last time I made it, we took longer to eat it than usual. I leave it in a cupcake holder that is closed with latches. Well, the cake got super soft like it was going bad. So I decided the next time I baked it, I'd put it in the refrigerator. Ok. How do I wrap it? I have aluminum foil and cling wrap that doesn't cling if you ask me. I do not have a cake box. Would you refrigerate this cake? What do you wrap it in? Does it matter? It's a round 9-inch one layer cake.

I would wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, not foil. If your cling wrap doesn't cling... I think you need to buy a better brand; I've had no trouble with stretch-tite which I get at Costco.   I've never made pineapple upside down cake but I refrigerate cakes made with fresh fruit within 2 days after baking.  

Let it come totally to room temperature before refrigerating or covering. If you stick a hot cake in the fridge, it makes it more moist and dense, which you don't want with an already dense, moist cake. :) 

If your family likes that cake, you can grab a 6" with a Michael's coupon for pretty cheap. 

• Like 1

I think you forgot that if you post about cake ... there must be a link to the recipe. :)

I'm sorry! I think I got this recipe off the Weight Watchers site years ago. You're not missing anything special. It's not super great. It's a bit spongy for me really. It just makes a change from my normal apple pie I usually enjoy each evening.

• Like 1

We eat what we want from cake, then freeze (either whole or in slices) in a cake holder.  I remove the next day and wrap in plastic wrap and put right back in the freezer.  When we are ready to eat it I take it out and unwrap right away so the frosting isn't messed up.  My Aunt taught me this! LOL

• Like 2

I looked and I have Glad Wrap. It's just not a great product. The cake has no icing and the batter manages to go over the pineapples on the top so the wrap laying against it is no big deal. I do like the idea of freezing slices. It will last us longer that way and we won't feel pressured to eat it fast.

I looked and I have Glad Wrap. It's just not a great product. The cake has no icing and the batter manages to go over the pineapples on the top so the wrap laying against it is no big deal. I do like the idea of freezing slices. It will last us longer that way and we won't feel pressured to eat it fast.

I almost always freeze the cake (after I slice up what's left) once we've eaten from it the first day. I freeze slices on a cookie sheet then pop them into a ziplock.

However, for a cake like yours, I might refrigerate the whole thing (what's left) for an hour, uncovered, and then put plastic wrap over it. That hour gives it a chance to firm up. I do that for cakes that have frosting on them.