Menu

Swimming and hair care

greenbeanmama

For my daughters, we only use conditioner on their hair, as it works well for them. The only time I shampoo their hair is after swimming, to get the chlorine out, which has been only a few times each year. Their hair always has a funky texture for about two weeks afterwards.

They are starting weekly swimming lessons. Should I continue to use shampoo afterwards, or is that what is causing the weird texture (instead of the chlorine)? Would only conditioner be enough? Two months is a long time to have wonky-feeling hair!

I don't think shampoo gets chlorine out anyway, so I'd skip it and just keep using conditioner. Conditioner and their natural scalp oils will do more to protect the hair from chlorine than shampoo will.

Do they have swim caps? That would be your best protection.

Edited by maize

I don't know how long your daughters' hair is. I have one with waist length hair who swims every day.

When I wash her hair, I comb it out and then coat it in shea butter before I braid it. She swims with a cap.

When I wash out her hair, I'm always surprised at how the chlorine hasn't penetrated her hair.

Edited by amy g.

Get a shampoo that's made for swimmers.  Paul Mitchell has one (I believe it's called Shampoo Three).  Or, the one mentioned above (Ultraswim) works well.  They're rather harsh, though, and strip the hair so you'll need to be generous with the conditioner.

With a bit more effort, but wonderful results, do the following:

Dampen the hair, coat with coconut oil, then braid or twist the hair to get it under a swim cap.  The oil will prevent chlorine from entering the hair.  The water before will help you use less oil (though you can apply the oil to dry hair, and it will condition the hair beautifully.  After swimming, wash the excess oil out using regular or special swim shampoo.  You may not need to add extra conditioner.  Running a wet-hair comb through the wet hair will tell you.  

I had no idea there was special swimming shampoo! I think I will try coconut oil first, and see if we need the shampoo. Yes, waist-length hair (that is gorgeous, thick, slightly wavy...I am envious of my daughter's hair!). I didn't even consider a swim cap - I thought those were only created to annoy swimmers with constant leaking! Thanks all - I knew I'd find good answers here.

I had no idea there was special swimming shampoo! I think I will try coconut oil first, and see if we need the shampoo. Yes, waist-length hair (that is gorgeous, thick, slightly wavy...I am envious of my daughter's hair!). I didn't even consider a swim cap - I thought those were only created to annoy swimmers with constant leaking! Thanks all - I knew I'd find good answers here.

I'd braid, coat with coconut oil, and cover with cap. After swimming I'd wish with a shampoo that works with your hair and apply conditioner.

With hair that long you need a cap.

They make larger capacity caps for people with a lot of hair. You can find them on swimoutlet or Amazon.

Edited by Diana P.