Menu

Dance moms with girls with short hair

athomeontheprairie

What do you do? Every recital they want hair in a bun. But my dd9 has short hair. She's growing it out (doubtful she'll succeed. This is the third time she's tried 😉), but in the meantime what should she do?

Its almost long enough to get hold on a high pony. With dance in May, it'll be long enough to be clearly noticeable but not long enough to put back. One option is to cut it short (she really likes it short.)

Gah! Idk why this is so hard. It's the only time she feels like she stands out (and she does...) I'm not good with hair, and Idk how to help.

Ideas?

Wet hair, gel back, pin loose ends, hairspray. There's this stuff at Target that is super hold. Holds anything. It's like glue. You can buy a bun to pin in if they really need a bun. I can find them cheap in stores that cater to African American women. Amazon carries them but I find they are more expensive and it's hard to match the hair color.

Edited by dancingmama
  • Like 3

Mom of Dancers, licensed cosmetologist, one girl with short hair,,,

First, ask her teacher or the studio director what they recommend. For younger girls many studios are often more forgiving of short hair than they would be of a 15yo at a preprofessional classical ballet recital, KWIM? Your studio should be able to take a look Andy help you decide what's reasonable for her and what will help her have the best uniform look with her group.

Is there a hair ornament that needs to be placed? Maybe it can be attached to a headband to help hold her hair in place along with the ornament.

Often, wet hair gelled back and held in place by a U-shaped headband that matches her hair may be enough. Or again wet hair, gel, and get as much as you can into a ponytail. Use new elastic, preferably name-brand ones with a rubbery 'sport' grip for better hold.

Next is the AMAZING hair spray trick: spray the hair, and while the hairspray is still wet, gently comb it back again. Just spraying the top doesn't do as much as combing, which works it in and really holds it down, especially fuzzy flyaway hairs.

Often, just having the hair piled back will be enough to blend in with the class. But if everyone has those giant Kaiser roll-sized buns sitting on top of their heads you will probably need to buy a fake bun. The dance supply store should have them, it you may have better luck at wig and extension supply stores. I got a gorgeous basket-weave looking braided one for Diamond.

Diamond's hair is now short enough that there would be no ponytail, or even anywhere to attach a fake bun. But when you're 21 and the teacher no one cares anymore ;)

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 3

My Mom was a professional ballerina in NYC in the 50s and fought this battle for me back in the late 70s.  Hard for them to tell her that I must have long hair in a bun when she had far more experience then they did . It's archaic and has nothing to do with your DD's ability to dance.  I have extremely thick hair, and wearing it long or pulled back gave me headaches.  Wasn't worth it.   Use gel to slick it back or a fall or something.  

One should not have to have short hair to be a dancer.  Period.  

"Ashley Bouder of City Ballet and Simone Messmer of American Ballet Theater are two prominent dancers with short hair...

In Russia short hair — or at least shorter hair — is becoming more common. Along with Uliana Lopatkina of the Mariinsky Ballet, there is Natalia Osipova, who cut her hair off in 2007, inspired by Audrey Tautou’s gamine hairstyle in the French film “Amélie.†A principal with the Bolshoi as well as a guest artist with Ballet Theater, Ms. Osipova spoke through a translator at the Metropolitan Opera House."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/arts/dance/ballet-dancers-hair-bun-or-bob.html

Edited by umsami