Menu

Anyone here have experience with tatting?

My daughter (nearly 11) is really competent at crochet and macrame (both self-taught via books) and absolutely loves it.

I'm thinking of getting her some tatting supplies for her upcoming birthday.

Are there any particular tools or threads or supplies that I need to know about?

I've seen tatting needles and tatting shuttles, but I really have no idea what any of that means.

• Like 1

Tatting is fun and there are great online resources. Not to mention gorgeous custom shuttles on Etsy. I'd have her learn with a shuttle first and then try needle tatting and she can see what she likes best.

A lot of the tatters these days use it to make jewelry instead of edgings for household goods. Lots of fun to be had!

And I'd get her a good little starter kit like this:

https://www.snowgooselace.com/product/beginner-tatting-kit-shuttle/

Beyond the fine, smooth thread (same as one would use for bobbin lace or fine crochet) she just needs scissors, a crochet hook, embroidery needle, ect. Basically the same notions she would use for any other small fiber arts project.

Clover shuttles are my favorite mass produced one to start out with.

Tatting is fun and there are great online resources. Not to mention gorgeous custom shuttles on Etsy. I'd have her learn with a shuttle first and then try needle tatting and she can see what she likes best.

A lot of the tatters these days use it to make jewelry instead of edgings for household goods. Lots of fun to be had!

Thank you!

I'll get my hands on a shuttle then. Any thoughts on first threads to use as a beginner?

Yes, her macrame projects have been primarily jewelry so far and they turn out really well. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up with her own Etsy shop one day.

• Like 1

I learned to tat and then, one day while idly looking through my mother's sewing kit, discovered *she* had a tatting shuttle but didn't know what it was. It turned out to belong to my great-grandmother! That was quite a lovely discovery. :) It's a fun and beautiful hobby, and simple to learn to make gorgeous things.

• Like 3

I decided to learn a few months ago, and found some good instruction online.  I got some shuttles (a set of 5) and some #10 cotton ____ (it's not thread, it's not yarn, what is it???) and got a bit down the pathway...but it didn't grab me as other hobbies have.  So I liberated the shuttles to someone who wants to learn and called it a day. 

BUT here is the funny thing:  I was at a friend's house about a month ago and she had an odd problem to solve--she had a hook, but no eye, and the fabric that it needed to be attached to was rather delicate.  I tried my best to think of what to do, when I ran across one of HER grandmother's *loaded* tatting shuttles.  So I made some links in the chain, an "eye" shaped picot, some more links and sewed that into the seam of the skirt, and the hook worked great with the "eye,"  Isn't that funny?  For this, I learned to tat.  LOL

I decided to learn a few months ago, and found some good instruction online.  I got some shuttles (a set of 5) and some #10 cotton ____ (it's not thread, it's not yarn, what is it???) and got a bit down the pathway...but it didn't grab me as other hobbies have.  So I liberated the shuttles to someone who wants to learn and called it a day. 

BUT here is the funny thing:  I was at a friend's house about a month ago and she had an odd problem to solve--she had a hook, but no eye, and the fabric that it needed to be attached to was rather delicate.  I tried my best to think of what to do, when I ran across one of HER grandmother's *loaded* tatting shuttles.  So I made some links in the chain, an "eye" shaped picot, some more links and sewed that into the seam of the skirt, and the hook worked great with the "eye,"  Isn't that funny?  For this, I learned to tat.  LOL

it's 'cotton' thread.  (pearl cotton looks nicer - but costs more.)  I use it for crocheting lace-type items.   with the really fine hooks.   #10 is standard size, but it comes smaller .. . .

you can make that "eye" with button hole twist thread and a needle.  dont' recall the name of the stitch.  after going back and forth a few times to make the size eye you want - you go over it doing a buttonhole stitch.

• Like 3

Wow, so these old arts will not be done away with after all. Yes, and handkerchiefs, gardenmom5. So, it is really possible to learn how to do this? I wanted to, but didn't know the tools are still found in the real world. I'll have to look into that. Patty Joanna, and all other posters, you're an inspiration too. Thanks! The link from Arctic Mama didn't load for me but I'll find something.

• Like 1

Craftsy has a class on it https://www.craftsy.com/crocheting/classes/shuttle-tatting/35685

I've done needle tatting before. And tried to do shuttle tatting with just a book year ago without much luck. MIL gifted me the tatting class I listed above recently, and while I've watched the video and things make more sense I have not been able to gather supplies and try again.

• Like 2

I learned to tat and then, one day while idly looking through my mother's sewing kit, discovered *she* had a tatting shuttle but didn't know what it was. It turned out to belong to my great-grandmother! That was quite a lovely discovery. :) It's a fun and beautiful hobby, and simple to learn to make gorgeous things.

That is lovely! Made me a little teary. Let's chalk that up to hormones, eh?

I don't know where my daughter's interest stems from. I have literally zero experience in crochet/macrame/tatting/sewing and definitely no heirlooms hidden in sewing boxes. I don't even have a sewing box.

This child of mine is often doing a handicraft while talking about quantum theory at the moment. Eclectic interests  :001_smile:

• Like 2

I remember now. We came across the term 'tatting' in the book Evolution of Calpurnia Tate. It was a couple of years ago that we read it though.

It's interesting because the theme of the book is about how difficult it was for a girl at that point in history to step outside of the expected female roles. Great book. I'd like to read it again and refresh my memory.

I'm just so, so pleased to have you folks here helping me with this. I'm clueless and now I have some info to work off.

Tomorrow I'm going shopping looking for a clover shuttle (clover? Is that a brand name or a style/type?) and some cotton thread. I've ordered a beginner's book, so hopefully that will arrive in time for her b'day.

Thanks heaps for the blogs, course link, beautiful family stories and all of your help. I really appreciate it.

At some point I may post some photos of her handiwork to show you what this all came to.

Right now she's working on a crocheted blanket. The hook (Tool? Needle? I don't even know what you call it) is comically large and thick. I have no idea what the stitch/pattern is that she's using, but wow it looks cool.

• Like 1

Clover is a brand. You can grab them online and oftentimes they have them at JoAnns too. I like them better than the Boye shuttles which are also common.

Here are some beautiful custom painted ones:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/517967033/hand-painted-tatting-shuttle-tatting

I like their sharp noses and find them easy to work with. Here are unpainted ones:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clover-Plastic-Tatting-Shuttles-2-Pack-Colors-Vary/21989550

You'll also see a link down below to some aerlit shuttles which are lovely but not my favorite for a beginner, because you need a little more control of your tension with them. Highly recommend them when she gets the basics down.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Clover is a brand. You can grab them online and oftentimes they have them at JoAnns too. I like them better than the Boye shuttles which are also common.

Here are some beautiful custom painted ones:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/517967033/hand-painted-tatting-shuttle-tatting

I like their sharp noses and find them easy to work with. Here are unpainted ones:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clover-Plastic-Tatting-Shuttles-2-Pack-Colors-Vary/21989550

You'll also see a link down below to some aerlit shuttles which are lovely but not my favorite for a beginner, because you need a little more control of your tension with them. Highly recommend them when she gets the basics down.

I'm in Australia, so I'll just have to see what our shop has (Spotlight is where I'm headed). No such thing as JoAnns or Walmart here  :)

Looking at their website, this is the only one they seem to have: https://www.spotlightstores.com/sewing-fabrics/sewing-equipment/irons-accessories/sewing-machine-accessories/birch-tatting-shuttle-with-2-bobbins/p/BP80055595 

I wish I'd thought of this with a bit more time up my sleeve, then I could have ordered from overseas.

Thanks heaps!

• Like 1

This is the youtube I used to learn.  I turned off the repetitive plinky music though.  

The part where she shows how to transfer the knot:  sit up straight and pay attention!!!!  That is all.  :)

Also, IIRC, I got a 5-pack of Clover shuttles for around $5 or 6.  It was nice to have them all at once because I could just keep practicing once I got rolling.  

Like I'm some expert...ha!  I'm not.  It's just what I found that helped.  I had to watch the video about 15 times to see and replicate exactly what she was doing.  But that might be a good complement with a book.    

This is the youtube I used to learn.  I turned off the repetitive plinky music though.  

The part where she shows how to transfer the knot:  sit up straight and pay attention!!!!  That is all.   :)

Also, IIRC, I got a 5-pack of Clover shuttles for around $5 or 6.  It was nice to have them all at once because I could just keep practicing once I got rolling.  

Like I'm some expert...ha!  I'm not.  It's just what I found that helped.  I had to watch the video about 15 times to see and replicate exactly what she was doing.  But that might be a good complement with a book.    

Patty, that bolded bit? What do you mean?

Should I be buying more than one to begin with? Do you use multiple shuttles at a time? Or do you mean that you could have multiple projects on the go at a time?

My ignorance is showing.  :blushing:

Also, do you have a link for the youtube tutorial you mentioned?

Thanks heaps!

• Like 1

Patty, that bolded bit? What do you mean?

Should I be buying more than one to begin with? Do you use multiple shuttles at a time? Or do you mean that you could have multiple projects on the go at a time?

My ignorance is showing.  :blushing:

Also, do you have a link for the youtube tutorial you mentioned?

Thanks heaps!

Duh--forgot to make the link:  

And here are the shuttles:  clover shuttles. Oops:  $13. https://www.amazon.com/Clover-8102-5-Piece-Tatting-Shuttles/dp/B00KB68U3M/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1490740028&sr=1-1&keywords=clover+shuttles

You don't need to have more than one.  I just found it a buzzkill to be going along tatting and then I ran out of thread and I had to wind the shuttle.  Also, I was practicing at retreats and so on, and so I didn't have to carry as much stuff.  But no, you are fine with one shuttle.  :0)  I'd wind them all at once and then I could practice for a long time without interruption

Oh dear. If we all lived closer we could have our little tatting circle, sitting together in weekly or monthly gathering. LOL

Patty Joanna, thank you for posting the youtube.

Almost looks like macrame. 

I don't know how many replies it takes to go hot. Or does hotness happen with how fast it receives replies? I don't know.

Looking forward to eventually giving this a try. If you have made anything with tatting, please show us. I'll have to see if I can find the baby gowns my grandfather wore.

• Like 1