Menu

What are the chances of getting in when you are wait listed?

Job121

My DS got an email from U of C today. He is on their wait list. This is THE college that my DS set his heart on, so yes, disappointing would be an understatement. I tried to cheer him up, but my heart was heavy. He will be hearing majority of schools next couple weeks though. This is my first baby and this is way tougher than I thought. :crying:

:grouphug:  I can imagine it must be really hard!  I have a junior so I am thinking ahead to this whole process.  I think getting in off the waitlist depends on the school.  Is there info on their website about how many they usually take from the waitlist?  And whether or not they order their waitlist?  I think after some time has passed, I would encourage my ds to make a decision about another school, and then if the dream school comes through at the last minute, then he could decide to switch.  But maybe focusing on a new option would help him see the possibilities. I would also look into what the school expects from students on the waitlist.  Some may want updates on new information, others may not.

• Like 1

My DS got an email from U of C today. He is on their wait list. This is THE college that my DS set his heart on, so yes, disappointing would be an understatement. I tried to cheer him up, but my heart was heavy. He will be hearing majority of schools next couple weeks though. This is my first baby and this is way tougher than I thought. :crying:

If you can find the U of Cs Common Data set online, the waitlist information is often listed, if I am remembering correctly. It will have a #/% of students who are waitlisted, the #/% of those who are accepted after being waitlisted, and the #/% of those who wind up attending after being accepted.

eta: If U of C is University of Chicago, however, it appears that they do not publish their common data set, so the information may be find-able - but not the easy way.

Good luck to your ds on the waitlisting and on the incoming acceptances! :)

• Like 1

I'm sorry. I know that hurts your mama heart :-(

He should immediately contact the admissions dept in writing, stating that he would accept admission if he was chosen from the waitlist. If he has any new accomplishments, he can mention those as well.

Otherwise though, he needs to proceed as if this was a rejection, and select a school to attend. If he does come off the waitlist, that will be a delightful surprise!

• Like 7

eta: If U of C is University of Chicago, however, it appears that they do not publish their common data set, so the information may be find-able - but not the easy way.

Yes, it is U of Chicago and yes, like you said, it is hard to find reliable info online. Some say they take couple thousands on their wait list, some say 700-800. :cursing:

We are waiting for acceptance letters from other schools, but it is a hard pill to swallow for now. Just need some time and many prayers.

Thank you all for the great insights and encouragement. DS spent whole morning in the city for his regular volunteering and we had to go to our friend's wedding. I think taking his mind off this matter today somewhat helped DS. He is writing an email to U of Chicago now. 

As long as my DS decides to stay on their wait list, the school will let him know their final decision after May 1. Some says it could be in July or even August.  :crying:

Well, still it is not the end of the world.  I am grateful that he still has a chance, very slim chance though....

• Like 3

It's not the end of the world, but it still  hurts.  My favorite take on this is this blog post, especially the part where a college rejection should feel like a swipe left on tinder since the colleges don't really know your student, and it isn't personal.  But after all the effort students put into the application, it actually feels like  being left at the altar after a years long courtship.  

• Like 5

I saw that one before. It was very honest and truthful statement. We all know this whole admission procedure is nothing personal, but when colleges ask you to share and write about your personal story and you pour your heart into it, it became personal to you. 

Perhaps "run admission by lottery" proposal might not that crazy idea after all. At least you can get the satisfaction of knowing why you've been dumped by your favorite college.  :001_smile:

• Like 4

I saw that one before. It was very honest and truthful statement. We all know this whole admission procedure is nothing personal, but when colleges ask you to share and write about your personal story and you pour your heart into it, it became personal to you. 

Perhaps "run admission by lottery" proposal might not that crazy idea after all. At least you can get the satisfaction of knowing why you've been dumped by your favorite college.  :001_smile:

I read somewhere that some competitive schools must treat it almost like a lottery in the end.  I don't know how true this is?  They simply get too many qualified candidates and once they narrow it down to their favorites, they have to go eeny, meeny, miny, moe and waitlist the ones that aren't chosen.  So, getting waitlist at the tough schools is in some deranged way like an honor, they would take you if there was room.  

• Like 1

My ds got wait listed at two schools this week. One of them included a list of FAQs for waitlisting. They said that in the last 5 years (I think it was 5), the percent of kids on the wait list who got admitted varied between 0% and 80%. So it all depends on how many offers are accepted, etc. The other school didn't give percentages, but they said that students who submit supplemental materials will be given preference. They have a list of supplemental materials that included extra essays, new honors or awards, extra letters of recommendation, etc.

Edited to add, I don't know how U. of Chicago works, but I'm just adding in our info for general information.

Edited by JeanM
  • Like 3

Thank you for sharing.  DS sent UChicago the letter of reaffirmation with an updated resume and asked whether it'd be helpful to submit additional supplement materials. He is toying with idea of taking a gap year.  I guess until April 1, we will be in the hot seat. It is what it is. Right now all I can do is continuously praying.  

Thank you for sharing.  DS sent UChicago the letter of reaffirmation with an updated resume and asked whether it'd be helpful to submit additional supplement materials. He is toying with idea of taking a gap year.  I guess until April 1, we will be in the hot seat. It is what it is. Right now all I can do is continuously praying.  

Best wishes to your ds. My ds initially had UChicago as his first choice, but eventually he did not end up applying at all. He decided he really wanted a smaller school.

My DS was waitlisted at multiple schools (all of his top choices) and begrudgingly chose to attend our state flagship. He had submitted his deposit and filled out housing paperwork, etc. One day I just happened to be checking his email (yes, I know I shouldn't have been doing it but there were extenuating circumstances) and found an email from one of the waitlist schools; the next day he received a big fat envelope in the mail. He was offered acceptance with a large scholarship package. That's where he is today!

I'm fairly certain there is another parent on the board whose child was accepted off the waitlist of a highly selective school too. It does happen.

• Like 6

My DS was waitlisted at multiple schools (all of his top choices) and begrudgingly chose to attend our state flagship. He had submitted his deposit and filled out housing paperwork, etc. One day I just happened to be checking his email (yes, I know I shouldn't have been doing it but there were extenuating circumstances) and found an email from one of the waitlist schools; the next day he received a big fat envelope in the mail. He was offered acceptance with a large scholarship package. That's where he is today!

I'm fairly certain there is another parent on the board whose child was accepted off the waitlist of a highly selective school too. It does happen.

Waitlist and scholarship.  That is a crazy awesome story.  I didn't even know that waitlisted students were offered aid.   :party: