Menu

Dyeing Brown Eggs

barnwife

Once upon a time, I tried to dye the brown eggs our chickens lay. Except it didn't work. They didn't change color at all, no matter how long I left them in the dye.

The internet tells me it is possible to dye brown eggs, so why didn't it work?

I want to be able to use our eggs. I hate buying eggs for dyeing when our fridge is full of our own eggs. So, if you have dyed brown eggs, please tell me exactly what you have done and/or explain where I may have gone wrong.

I've done it with store-bought brown eggs and it worked perfectly. I used the paaz ( I think thats the brand, the common one) tablets and used vinegar as per the instructions. All the darker colors turned out so deep and bold, like jewel tones. The lighter colors, like yellow, orange and light pink didn't turn out as well but you could still tell they were colored. What kind of dye did you use?

• Like 2

We dye white and brown eggs.  The brown ones come out best with the darker colors, especially green and red.

If you are trying to dye eggs right from the chickens, do you need to wash them first?  I'm not a farmer, but I read that eggs naturally come with a coating that keeps them fresh for days without refrigeration.  Could that same coating be repelling the dye?  Sorry if that is completely idiotic ....

• Like 1

We use brown eggs from our own chickens and don't do anything differently than we did with white eggs from the store.  Like others, we use the typical cheap kit.  Perhaps you got a bad batch the one time you tried?

We love the darker earth tones we get by using brown eggs.

What kind of dye did you use?

I always use Paas. Well, except for this year. Because my mom just gave us some other brand that's shaped liked bunnies and the kids are so excited about the bunny shape.

I think I might just have to try to again. And if it doesn't work, make a quick run to the store for different eggs.