Menu

zipper repair?

SparklyUnicorn

Zipper broke on my kid's jacket.  The zip part just broke off.  Probably a long shot, but is there any not too difficult way to replace that part?  I ordered another jacket anyway.  There are no jackets left in stores around here, but it's still very much winter.  The jacket is still nice and I can imagine getting another year out of it, but not sure if I can fix the zipper. 

• Like 1

Can you get to a seamstress? A novice might have a hard time with it

Well I can do some sewing.  I just have never done a zipper.  I don't think it's worth paying someone to do it so I'd rather try myself.

I'm willing to try it, but I'm wondering how doable it is.

It really stinks that an entire garment is rendered useless over one small thing like that.  Grrrr

Do you mean the zipper slide came off?  Here's  youtube about that:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzzLIQsWnDI  There are tons of youitubes and websites about zipper repair.  

Yes the slide came off.  Was not sure what it was called.  Thing is, I also do not have it.  Half of it broke off and is lost. 

Thanks for the link.  I'll check that out.

I do sew and mend, and I was stubborn enough not to throw away nice coats when the zipper broke.

I did watch lots of youtubes, and needed to have patience to wiggle the slide back on.

Hobby Lobby (and Joann's Fabrics, etc.) sells many different kinds of zippers, so it should be easy to find one that looks like the broken zipper you have.

For others, if a zipper tooth breaks, you can sometimes find an exact replacement zipper & just replace one side.

Just cutting off the old zipper teeth & stitching the new one (rather crudely) through all the layers.

Also, Nancy Zieman (Sewing With Nancy) has several segments of her show that deal with mending zippers:

Here's how she replaces a JEANS zipper, with a fairly jiffy method (cutting it out & taping in the new one, then stitching).

At the 14:00 mark of this video of her Sewing With Nancy show:

http://wpt.org/SewingWithNancy/Video/quick-stitch-wear-again-part-one

Here's another one, specifically fixing the slider part:  (Nancy's guest has repaired 1300 coat zippers for charity):

http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/sewing-with-nancy/how-to-repair-a-zipper/

(At the time, it was worth my time to figure out how to repair these rather high quality coats.  I wouldn't do it for pay, but I would do it for a friend in need.)

Just a nudge to attempt the repair yourself!

• Like 1

The problem is I don't have any stores around that sell sewing anything.  Walmart.."maybe".  I might have an old jacket we don't use anymore that might work.

I had to order a new jacket anyway.  I don't have time to figure this out.  Luckily stuff is on clearance everywhere.  But still I could get another year out of that jacket.

Stupid zippers.

If it is from L.L. Bean or Eddie Bauer, they may have a lifetime warranty that would cover the repair/replacement if you sent the jacket back to them. If it is another brand, possibly if it is a big company they can send you a new zipper or fix the jacket for you.  Here, there are a lot of people who know how to repair things.  Once, I had a jacket, I think from L.L. Bean and it had a problem. I sent it back to them and they either fixed it or sent me another jacket.  Stepson is wearing my Red L.L. Bean jacket when it's cold, on his motorcycle.  

• Like 2

I once returned a coat to Lands End for them to fix the zipper under their warranty.  Which they did, and we are still using the coat many years later.

Zippers at Joanns and such are fairly expensive, compared to getting them in bulk in a garment district store, but sounds like you aren't near that type of thing.

You can get zippers fairly cheap online.  Or you could find a coat that's in bad shape (thrift shop?) and seam rip the zipper out of it.

Might as well give it a try just for the experience - the more of this stuff you do, the better you get at it!

(Which reminds me, I need to Google "giant zipper" today to see if I can find something I saw on a theater garment this week!)

Zippers at Joanns and such are fairly expensive, compared to getting them in bulk in a garment district store, but sounds like you aren't near that type of thing.

• Like 2

Sparkly if you were here, we could find a Zipper for it.  If they don't have it here, they would probably be able get it in a few days, the next time they go to downtown Cali, unless it is some incredibly non-standard size.  And, we could find someone to install it for you. Don't throw out a perfectly good jacket!  

I have a practically new pair of Levis Jeans that my wife bought for me in downtown Cali. I think I only wore them a few times. I keep my keys in a front pocket.  That pocket has a hole in it now. We think they are genuine Levis, not pirated copies.  Waiting to get a new pocket installed, so I can use those Jeans again.  Poor quality of the material they used for the pockets in those Jeans.

In your case, with the Zipper, those can be replaced. I think my wife said DIL has a Zipper in a Samsonite bag that needs to be replaced. I'm not sure what's wrong with it.  My wife bought a gift in a Samsonite store a few weeks ago (which she wants to deliver tomorrow) and they told her they can fix things and there is a 10 (?) year warranty on Samsonite bags.  

Which brings to mind a video a man who works in the Orlando  airport showed us, when we were waiting for the Avianca ticket counter to open, on May 1st of last year...  It was amazing, how quickly a bag with a zipper can be opened, things removed from the bag, and the zipper closed.  I think one uses a credit card or something to do that, but I cannot remember what they used in the video, to open the demonstration bag...   A good reason NOT to buy luggage with zippers.

• Like 1