Menu

Help! Can Blood types A, B, AB be tranfused to an O Blood type?

We're working on a chart (right now, my bright idea-limited guidance) and as we were talking about Blood Type O, I realized the text says that Blood Type O can be given to A, B, and AB but it doesn't say whether it would be safe for an Type O to receive A, B, or AB blood.

I tried googling, I'm not sure which terms to use b/c I couldn't get an answer. Dd is waiting...

We use our family as a case study for blood types. Dh is A+ and I am AB-. Typically dh would have no idea whether he is AA++, AA+-, AO++, or AO+-. However, b/c I am AB- and we have so many kids with different blood types, dh knows he is AO+-. We have kids that are AB+, AB-, A+, B-, etc. If we ever have a child test as O.......there has been a switch at birth. ;)

O is universal, in high demand. But nothing transfers to it, my sis is O.

Interesting fact is w/both babies they make you get shots, so baby blood will be compatible w/hers.

I have had a shot after each birth of my peeps... and not in the arm! :tongue_smilie:

O is recessive, as is -. In order to be O, you must receive O from both parents. I am assuming that both your parents are A. If you are O, it means that they are both AO. Thus the possible genetic combinations are:

AA, AO, OA (which is still A, I just reversed it to show receiving the A and O from opposite parents than the first AO), and OO. Therefore there is a 75% probability of their having an A blood type child and only a 25% chance of an O.

Does that make sense?

Another interesting tidbit:

Type O-negative blood does not have any antigens. It is called the "universal donor" type because it is compatible with any blood type. Type AB-positive blood is called the "universal recipient" type because a person who has it can receive blood of any type. Although "universal donor" and "universal recipient" types may be used to classify blood in an emergency, blood type tests are always done to prevent transfusion reactions.

So, I'm AB+ -- my mom is B+ and My dad is O+, does that mean my dad was AO? And, that's how I became AB?

Because, seriously, I am in so many ways the "recessive gene" in my family. Of my brothers, I only know one blood type -- and he's B+. None of my other brothers know what their type is. They do all they can to avoid a needle:D