Menu

Random - How many handwriting books do your kids complete each year?

Runningmom80

32 members have voted

1. 1. How many handwriting books do your kids complete on average each school year

• 1 or less
    • 4 or more

This is a weird question, but I'm curious, how many handwriting books do your grammar stage kids complete each year? My oldest hates handwriting, so it was always a pain to get him to to complete a book a year.  My twins just started their 3rd book for first grade. They love doing them.  I don't know what to make of this. :lol:

Edited by someonestolemyname

On average - 0

Mine get a penmanship book in kindy while learning how to form the letters correctly, and again when it's time to learn cursive. I don't give them separate penmanship otherwise. Their work in other subjects is expected to be at a certain level of neatness and I'll make them redo messy work. The whole page if needed.

• Like 3

Two pencil-phobic DSs here, so handwriting was a difficult chore to get through. ;)

Also, I never bought any handwriting workbooks. For handwriting, I ended up making copywork for them, and they did that about 4x/week. The length of copywork was usually about 1 sentence per grade level, so 1 sentence in grade 1; 2 sentences in grade 2, etc.

I also tried to make the copywork (as penmanship practice) more entertaining.

One year it was a sentence with almost every letter starting with the same letter of the alphabet and working on vocabulary, capitalization and days of week/months of the year for spelling practice (example: "Aunt Amy ate apples and avocados in August." or "Did that dastardly Darth Vader damage Dantooine last December?").

Another year it was riddles and answers; another year it was limericks. Those were the best. :) Along about 4th/5th grade, we worked our way through a summary of the Amendments of the Constitution, and eventually copied the Westminster Shorter Catechism, a few sentences a day.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I voted 1 or less because that would be normal for us. I'm not sure my oldest ever even used a handwriting book.

But I totally have a handwriting book lover here, too. My K'er is almost done with her 2nd book of the year. She begged me to buy her another when she finished her 1st. She is super slow and meticulous, but she easily spends over an hour some days working in it. It's the funniest thing. Not surprisingly, this girl has some beautiful printing. :)

• Like 1

I voted 1 or less because that would be normal for us. I'm not sure my oldest ever even used a handwriting book.

But I totally have a handwriting book lover here, too. My K'er is almost done with her 2nd book of the year. She begged me to buy her another when she finished her 1st. She is super slow and meticulous, but she easily spends over an hour some days working in it. It's the funniest thing. Not surprisingly, this girl has some beautiful printing. :)

My dd has excellent handwriting too. DS isn't bad, but it should be better considering he's on book 3. Haha!

• Like 1

On average - 0

Same here, except mine get one total (and we've never made it through the whole thing). We do Cursive First (name of program and the idea) in late K/early 1st. That's it. Then, they just use their cursive in all their other work. But, we are a bit strange. . .