Menu

Kansas

athomeontheprairie

If you pray, pray for my state.

Yesterday there were at least 15 wildfires. Being driven by arid conditions and high winds (40+ mph, gusts 60+). Many towns were evacuating.

Personally we have friends and family in four different parts of the state that evacuated.

Today we have more of these conditions. It does not look promising.

Praying!

My family is from Buffalo, Oklahoma. So far all my family is safe, but my great- grandparents' homestead, that's over 100 years old, burned to the ground. My uncle had been renovating it to make it livable again, and it's completely gone.

My grandparents' home place is only 1/4 mile down the road and is still at risk depending on the wind.

Praying!

My family is from Buffalo, Oklahoma. So far all my family is safe, but my great- grandparents' homestead, that's over 100 years old, burned to the ground. My uncle had been renovating it to make it livable again, and it's completely gone.

My grandparents' home place is only 1/4 mile down the road and is still at risk depending on the wind.

How is your family?

For anyone who wants to read about the crazy things happening in my state: here is an accurate account.... http://www.kansas.com/news/state/article136909803.html

How is your family?

For anyone who wants to read about the crazy things happening in my state: here is an accurate account.... http://www.kansas.com/news/state/article136909803.html

Other than my uncle's farm house, all emerged unscathed. The fire didn't go far enough south to burn any of my family's other property, and all the cattle were on wheat pasture, which didn't burn.  Unfortunately, the farm wasn't insured since no one was currently living there. Not sure if they'll try to rebuild or what. 

My uncle said the hardest part was seeing the dead calves on neighbors' properties. Some of the cows perished with their babies, and others survived, badly burned, but wouldn't leave their calves' bodies.

He said herds of deer (and other animals, too) are all over the place, because there are no hiding places left and no food. The wind has already blown away all the burnt grass and ash, and it literally looks like a desert because the topsoil is blowing away in the wind.

I'm thankful that your family and buildings were spared. So sorry for the loss of the livestock. I'll be praying for you!