Menu

Middle Eastern Menu for my wedding. Need ideas...

lisabees

I need some BTDT.

My wedding is in June.  We know we want Middle Eastern food.  We have narrowed it down to a few ideas.

We can order most of it from Dizengoff - a hummusiya - and add some salads.  Not sure how to serve this.  Like the restaurant does?  Hubby and I can fill everyone's bowl with hummus etc?  We like the idea of serving our guests (no more than 40).

We can order just the hummus and pita and a couple of salads from above and make two main entrees myself, which can go over the hummus - something like Solomonov's Lamb with pistachios and mint and Shaya's Cauliflower and onion

Or I can make something totally different.  More like a real meal.  I love Solomonov and Ottolenghi.

I need something doable.  I need something super tasty.  And I need to cook.  I just have to - it's my thing.  But I am willing to give up some things!

I also need things that can be made ahead without losing its taste.  And being able to serve at room temperature is even better.

Also looking for good appetizer ideas to complement the menu...

We are almost done with the major planning, except for the food.  

Thank you to all who have contributed already to the planning of our big day.  I know my story has grown tiresome, but you all have really and truly helped!

ETA:  I am totally sick of lamb!  After making three lamb dishes yesterday, I never want to eat it again.  Sigh.  I need some chicken recipes.

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 1

What if you served it family style? If you have four tables of ten, you can manage the food with two trips to each table. That's just two tables each for you and DH! You can serve Tables A and B their appetizers and C and D their entrees so you've served every guest in less time than I takes to work a buffet line. Get those big round trays and take out apoetizers first. The first tray can have hummus, tabouli, baba ganoch, bread, olives, feta, and almonds. The second can have your entrees. I'd probably do a saucy meat dish, a saucy veg dish, and a cous cous with apricots and nuts in it. Guests can dish it up at the table. If you haven't looked at the NYT chicken schwarma, it's worth a peek, although I'd prefer you lamb idea for MY plate. Maybe set up a drink buffet that includes a hot chai option. Serve some baklava alongside your cake.

If you don't hire a bellydancer I'll be sad. This menu demands one. There's a special dance for weddings where the dancer balances a huge candalabra on her head (ask for Raqs Shamadan). Bellydancers are used to dodging the food trays and performing during a meal. If that's too extravagant, some arabic music during the food service will help set the mood.

• Like 4

I love pickled turnips and olives with hummus, and they would be easy to put out on the side, as well as fresh vegetables like cucumber for dipping. Falafel with a creamy garlic sauce? Stuffed grape leaves? Little Lebanese "pizzas" of tiny pita (or larger one cut into wedges) brushed with olive oil and topped with zaatar and maybe a little cheese? Something similar to spanakopita or tiropita? Roasted chickpeas?

This Lebanese potato salad sounds good, or you could riff off of it into your own favorite spices. http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/252196/lebanese-potato-salad/  Since it has no dairy, it should hold up well.

• Like 1

What if you served it family style? If you have four tables of ten, you can manage the food with two trips to each table. That's just two tables each for you and DH! You can serve Tables A and B their appetizers and C and D their entrees so you've served every guest in less time than I takes to work a buffet line. Get those big round trays and take out apoetizers first. The first tray can have hummus, tabouli, baba ganoch, bread, olives, feta, and almonds. The second can have your entrees. I'd probably do a saucy meat dish, a saucy veg dish, and a cous cous with apricots and nuts in it. Guests can dish it up at the table. If you haven't looked at the NYT chicken schwarma, it's worth a peek, although I'd prefer you lamb idea for MY plate. Maybe set up a drink buffet that includes a hot chai option. Serve some baklava alongside your cake.

If you don't hire a bellydancer I'll be sad. This menu demands one. There's a special dance for weddings where the dancer balances a huge candalabra on her head (ask for Raqs Shamadan). Bellydancers are used to dodging the food trays and performing during a meal. If that's too extravagant, some arabic music during the food service will help set the mood.

Should have noted - there are only a few tables with actual seating around it.  We are renting a property with two houses on it.  So - it will have to be buffet style.  People will sit in different areas - outside on patios, around pool, inside on couches and around tables.

Just can't do the bellydancer KungFu!  Sorry!   :lol:

We will be ordering baklava etc. for dessert.  No cake!

Very casual...

Both the Solomov and the Shaya dishes look easy to prepare in advance, refrigerate and then heat up and hold in a chafing dish. Those hummus bowls look awesome!

Totally agree and I get to cook something.

The hummus bowls ARE awesome.  Solomonov's other restaurant, Zahav, is amazing, too.  One of our best culinary experiences eating at the chef's counter...

Kung Fu - love the idea about the music!

• Like 1

I love pickled turnips and olives with hummus, and they would be easy to put out on the side, as well as fresh vegetables like cucumber for dipping. Falafel with a creamy garlic sauce? Stuffed grape leaves? Little Lebanese "pizzas" of tiny pita (or larger one cut into wedges) brushed with olive oil and topped with zaatar and maybe a little cheese? Something similar to spanakopita or tiropita? Roasted chickpeas?

This Lebanese potato salad sounds good, or you could riff off of it into your own favorite spices. http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/252196/lebanese-potato-salad/  Since it has no dairy, it should hold up well.

Pickled veggies are perfect to make in advance.  Lots of mezze recipes; just not sure which are the most practical to make.

Roasted chickpeas are perfect, too.  I make those all of the time.

Thank you!

I made wedding rice (using the jeweled rice recipe from NYT cooking but subbing cherries in) for my recent dinner party and it was a huge hit.

Some of the reviewers used orange blossom water to dilute the saffron in but I used regular hot water AND rose water and my guests were all over it â¤ï¸

• Like 3

I made wedding rice (using the jeweled rice recipe from NYT cooking but subbing cherries in) for my recent dinner party and it was a huge hit.

Some of the reviewers used orange blossom water to dilute the saffron in but I used regular hot water AND rose water and my guests were all over it â¤ï¸

Yum!  Hope you had fun. :)

You can do kebab on a stick or kofta..  Yotam has a great recipe which you can make with half lamb half beef or even all beef to save money.

Mashi...stuffed vegetables, grape leaves, would go.

I love the Turkish olive oil dishes.

Layered juices are a popular drink....you pour over a spoon to make the layers.

Fattoush...salad...would be great.  Can also do a gazpacho or red lentil soup shooter.

For dessert, think of different baklavas or kunafa.... with cream/custard, chocolate, etc.  Not just nuts.  

• Like 2

You can do kebab on a stick or kofta..  Yotam has a great recipe which you can make with half lamb half beef or even all beef to save money.

Mashi...stuffed vegetables, grape leaves, would go.

I love the Turkish olive oil dishes.

Layered juices are a popular drink....you pour over a spoon to make the layers.

Fattoush...salad...would be great.  Can also do a gazpacho or red lentil soup shooter.

For dessert, think of different baklavas or kunafa.... with cream/custard, chocolate, etc.  Not just nuts.  

Oooh - I was planning to make two ground lamb recipes tomorrow for taste testing.  Yotam's kofta!  And Solomonov's lamb with pistachios. :)  You've tried his kofta recipe and like it?

Thought about fattoush salad and red lentil soup shooters!

We are ordering the baklavas from my favorite Lebanese restaurant.  He only does nuts, though!  I already asked.  

ETA: Running to store now. Made Dal Makhani tonight and I have no cream!

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 1

I did and I made my own pita like you suggested and it worked! And I don't bake at all.

Kebabs, salads, rice, eggplant walnut dip etc

Well, do share!  Any recipes you want to share?

Wasn't making the pita bread super fun?  So glad you had a good time!

• Like 1

Yotam's recipe is my go to. :) 

Ask if the Lebanese guy does Kunafa bil gibna  (Kunafa with cheese).  It's made from shredded phyllo, and has this melty-cinnamony cheese center.  It's very yummy....but has to be served warm.

If you want to keep the Arabic theme, you could have your name and the groom's name written in Arabic either on the invitation or even on the sheet of baklava with ground pistachios, confectioner's sugar, or something.

• Like 1

Well, do share! Any recipes you want to share?

Wasn't making the pita bread super fun? So glad you had a good time!

Rice: I used cherries and rosewater: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12377-david-taniss-persian-jeweled-rice?action=click&module=RecipeBox&pgType=recipebox-page&region=rice&rank=0

Walnut eggplant dip:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018307-julia-childs-eggplant-walnut-dip?action=click&module=RecipeBox&pgType=recipebox-page&region=walnut&rank=1

Beef kebabs: (no worcestire sauce here): http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/05/steakhouse-kebabs-recipe.html

Chicken kebabs: http://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/middle-eastern-chicken-kebabs.html

And i threw together a chickpea salad and one of the Israeli salads you shared with me. Thank you :)

• Like 1

I have made a good number of recipes from that Once Upon a Chef site.  The pilaf shown in the chicken kebab pic is one of my son's faves. :)

The tandoori chicken is one of mine.  It has the perfect blend of flavors, especially with a good mango chutney.  I am actually thinking about making it for the day before the wedding, when our out of town guests arrive.  

Yotam's recipe is my go to. :)

Ask if the Lebanese guy does Kunafa bil gibna  (Kunafa with cheese).  It's made from shredded phyllo, and has this melty-cinnamony cheese center.  It's very yummy....but has to be served warm.

If you want to keep the Arabic theme, you could have your name and the groom's name written in Arabic either on the invitation or even on the sheet of baklava with ground pistachios, confectioner's sugar, or something.

Kunafa with cheese sounds fabulous!

The pastry chef at Zahav gave me her pistachio cake recipe. One of the best desserts I've ever eaten.

• Like 1

For the linked Shaya's Curried Onion and Cauliflower Hummus, the texture of the hummus would be markedly improved if you removed the chick-pea skins prior to grinding them.

An efficient way to do this is to fill a large bowl (placed in a sink) with the cooked chick-peas and water, leaving the tap slightly open so water spills slowly over the side. With flat palms, rub chick-peas between hands. This action will loosen the skins which will float to the top, as they do some will go over the side while other may take coaxing. In any case get rid of the skins.

This takes a little extra work, but you are a foodie and this is a wedding. Totally worth this extra step as it will make a big difference in the final result. 

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

For the linked Shaya's Curried Onion and Cauliflower Hummus, the texture of the hummus would be markedly improved if you removed the chick-pea skins prior to grinding them.

An efficient way to do this is to fill a large bowl (placed in a sink) with the cooked chick-peas and water, leaving the tap slightly open so water spills slowly over the side. With flat palms, rub chick-peas between hands. This action will loosen the skins which will float to the top, as they do some will go over the side while other may take coaxing. In any case get rid of the skins.

This takes a little extra work, but you are a foodie and this is a wedding. Totally worth this extra step as it will make a big difference in the final result. 

Bill

Spy Car - I have never peeled the skins; it always seemed like a daunting task!  I will certainly try your trick.  My fave hummus recipe is Solomonov's in his Zahav cookbook. Yum!

My dd wanted Middle Eastern food for her high school graduation.  The stuffed grape leaves were a big hit!  Those could be appetizers, or as part of the main meal.  We also made mint tea.

ETA:  I would love to go to a wedding with Middle Eastern food!   ;)

Edited by J-rap

Spy Car - I have never peeled the skins; it always seemed like a daunting task!  I will certainly try your trick.  My fave hummus recipe is Solomonov's in his Zahav cookbook. Yum!

About 1980 I was a University student at Cal (Berkeley) studying International Relations when I met an extraordinary young woman who was studying the same at the nearby Mills College in Oakland. She and her cousin (also a Mills student) were roommates, and we (and then my whole circle of friends) all became quite close pals. Through this friend, I greatly expanded my knowledge of Arabic language, culture, music, politics, and food. She was a highly intelligent person and wise beyond her years.

It was from her mother and "auntie" who would visit regularly from Jordan that I really learned to cook Arabic food. On their trips to visit, their girls' apartments would turn into centers of feast creation. My two female contemporaries might put in a faint effort in the kitchen, but they had their minds on bigger things (like their educations and changing the world).

But yours truly was never one to let an opportunity like this slip past, and became an indefatigable kitchen helper at every opportunity, taking breaks only to jot notes in a book I still have on my shelf. You can scarcely the imagine the amount of food we'd  produce. Both these mothers were talented cooks and they took the time to instruct me on every detail and freely shared their cultural knowledge. If it was slightly strange that a highly motivated guy was spending hours with them cooking, they sure didn't let on and I became highly fond of both of them.

Rubbing the chick-peas to remove the skins was one of those "tricks" that I learned from them (and well learned as it was a job I'm sure they were happy to relinquish), but they explained it was well worth the effort as it was an essential step in getting the best texture in the hummus. And they were—unsuprisingly—correct.

Ground skins make the texture gritty or grainy. Even using powerful processors that ultra-whip the hummus (a processing I do not favor) doesn't compensate for not removing skins.

If one had to remove one skin at a time, the chore would be endless. But the "trick" of rubbing submerged chick-peas between one's hands reduces the labor considerably.

Because I paid attention—while my friend attended to her studies while her mother, aunt, and I cooked—I can now turn out some pretty awesome Arabic meals to delight family and friends—where she is the Jordanian Ambassador to the United Nations :D

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 3

Oh, Bill!  Thank you for sharing that wonderful story.  I read it aloud to dd13 and it was just as magical the second time around!  At the end, she said, "Dang.  I thought he was going to end up marrying her." :)

Please do share any menu ideas.  I am officially sick of lamb after making so much of it yesterday.  DD and SO had leftover kofta for lunch and I cannot even go into the kitchen due to to smell!  

I'll take some chicken and veggie ideas!

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 1

If you can find the book "The Arab Table" or "Aromas of Aleppo" both had wonderful chicken recipes, if I remember correctly.

Also, don't forget Claudia Roden. :)  Claudia will never steer you wrong IMHO. :)

You could always do macarona bechamel...which is similar to pastito...and is beloved in Egypt as comfort food.

Iranian rice recipes can't be beat either.  Maybe a relatively simple yogurt/spice marinated and grilled chicken with a jeweled rice?

Has anyone compared the texture of  hummus made with skins removed vs hummus made in a vitamix?  I'm having a hard time believing there is enough of a difference to make an effort.  Then again, we go through a LOT of hummus at my house and I'm really looking for reasons to justify my laziness.  I actually prefer hummus that's NOT baby-food smooth, but I'm outvoted on that so I puree it to death so there is no offending texture left.  :glare:

Has anyone compared the texture of  hummus made with skins removed vs hummus made in a vitamix?  I'm having a hard time believing there is enough of a difference to make an effort.  Then again, we go through a LOT of hummus at my house and I'm really looking for reasons to justify my laziness.  I actually prefer hummus that's NOT baby-food smooth, but I'm outvoted on that so I puree it to death so there is no offending texture left.  :glare:

I also prefer (insist upon) a hummus that is not ultra-whipped. I detest this trend in commercially available hummus. It is not right.

Traditional hummus should have some texture. Without the skins, it is possible to get the best of both worlds. Holding some texture, without being gritty or grainy.

Ultra-whipped hummus is a culinary crime IMO.

Bill (opinionated :D )

Oh, Bill!  Thank you for sharing that wonderful story.  I read it aloud to dd13 and it was just as magical the second time around!  At the end, she said, "Dang.  I thought he was going to end up marrying her." :)

The world is better off with my friend serving at the UN where she's leading efforts to improve the situation of refugees fleeing the horrors in Syria.

Even in school, I used to think if that if we lived in a just world that my friend would one day be the Prime Minister of Jordan or hold another high position in her nation's leadership.

In a world that sometimes goes insane, it is good for my spirit to know that people of integrity, intelligence, compassion, charm, and resolve can rise to positions of influence.

Glad you liked the story. I fear I may be reaching that dottery old stage where story-telling becomes...

Bill 

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1