Menu

temporary hair dye or spray-on hair color that washes out quickly?

samba

My dd is being asked to dye her hair for a drama production. She is willing to do it but is unhappy because prom is two weeks after the show and graduation is two weeks after that. 

Is there a dye or other coloring procedure that will wash out quickly? She's dying red over her natural blondish-brown.

Depending on the color red she wants, she could use a henna shampoo.  Wash it in for however many days you want to get the desired effect, switch to every other day to maintain, and stop using after the show to have it wash out over the next two weeks.

ETA: actually, scratch that.  Turns out the one I used in high school is not on the market anymore, and all the ones I've found say that it would be permanent.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 1

Spray color is basically colored hair spray, so it acts like glue in the hair.  You can't brush or style it after spraying that stuff in.

Check about renting a wig.  I imagine that buying a good one would be very expensive.

Congrats to your daughter for landing the Annie role!  How exciting!

• Like 1

Hair chalk works well if the natural hair colour is quite light.

We've had best success by applying to dampish (not wet) hair. Red hair chalk onto my daughter's blond hair is very effective. They come as sticks and look like chalk or crayons. You just rub it onto the hair.

Hair chalk is really cheap and washes right out in water. Just don't get caught in the rain on the way to the show  :)

PS I've been using henna on my hair for decades. It isn't temporary, at least on my hair. It seems to really cling to certain hair types/colours, so I'd be cautious about using henna.

ETA: My girls use wigs a lot for video productions they do, and they have sourced some really good ones quite cheaply (under $20AUS). I think they use Cosplay sites.

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky
  • Like 1

I agree that a wig may be best. Otherwise, I think I'd take her to a salon. I did a few 'temporary' colors as a teen. We found that my hair is very porous and holds onto color--even temporary color. I have one homecoming picture with my hair a rather unusual shade of red/fuschia, as a result of a temporary color I'd used a couple months before that didn't wash out.

• Like 2

I agree that a wig may be best. Otherwise, I think I'd take her to a salon. I did a few 'temporary' colors as a teen. We found that my hair is very porous and holds onto color--even temporary color. I have one homecoming picture with my hair a rather unusual shade of red/fuschia, as a result of a temporary color I'd used a couple months before that didn't wash out.

I was about to chime in with similar stories. I think your plan is good!

Edited by PinkyandtheBrains.
  • Like 1

We'd both prefer a wig but the director has nixed that idea. I am concerned that dd's hair is porous and will hold the color. 

Dd has long, very curly hair. I have a feeling that will limit our choices even more.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

I'm not sure I would LET the director make that call.  

Your dd has several once in a lifetime milestones coming up.  She obviously does not want to experience them sporting a dyed artificial hair color.

You would both be heart sick for years if that happened.

Hmmmm...maybe the director needs to learn to flex OR maybe find someone she can bully into submission.   :closedeyes:

Just a thought.

Edited by Jenn in FL
  • Like 5

We dyed my son's hair (light brown, dyed red) for Halloween with a mousse-type color that rinsed out easily with one wash.  I believe it's called Fanci-Full, we found it at Sally's.  Warning, it smells like old lady powder.  However, it did the job inexpensively and didn't leave any trace of color when we washed it out.  

• Like 2

Another option is to just say no to hair color, and offer the suggestion that Dd do the role with her natural hair color.  There is nothing that says Annie MUST have red hair (as evidenced by the most recent Annie movie).

This is my preference and I think would go over just fine in a performance. There are references to Annie's red hair in the play version and I know there are copyright restrictions with making changes to the script (I don't know if those apply in this case, though).

Roux

We dyed my son's hair (light brown, dyed red) for Halloween with a mousse-type color that rinsed out easily with one wash.  I believe it's called Fanci-Full, we found it at Sally's.  Warning, it smells like old lady powder.  However, it did the job inexpensively and didn't leave any trace of color when we washed it out.

Roux Fanci Full, #32 Lucky Copper. You might need to get the mousse, I don't think the liquid rinse comes in that color. And definitely try it at dress rehearsal and have paper towels backstage, if she sweats a lot it can drip. http://www.sallybeauty.com/color-styling-mousse/ROUX2,default,pd.html

• Like 1

This stuff is MAGICAL for removing color http://www.cosmoprofbeauty.com/USA-777157.html#q=Color+remover&start=2 You might be able to order it online, or find a salon or beauty supply that carries it. I'm a pro, and when I colored SweetChild's hair it went very very wrong.... a soft medium auburn turned deep burgundy! This removed the permanent dye withiut bleaching or ruining her natural hair color, and left it in good condition.

PM me if you need more info on how to use or where to find this

• Like 1

This is my preference and I think would go over just fine in a performance. There are references to Annie's red hair in the play version and I know there are copyright restrictions with making changes to the script (I don't know if those apply in this case, though).

A change can happen with "prior written permission" so have the director look into that?

SweetChild is playing Judy Haynes in White Christmas, there are references to hair color... the sisters having different color hair. Not yet sure what we're doing, since both "Betty" and "Judy" have almost identical hair color at the moment...

And BREAK A LEG to your Annie!

• Like 1

This stuff is MAGICAL for removing color http://www.cosmoprofbeauty.com/USA-777157.html#q=Color+remover&start=2 You might be able to order it online, or find a salon or beauty supply that carries it. I'm a pro, and when I colored SweetChild's hair it went very very wrong.... a soft medium auburn turned deep burgundy! This removed the permanent dye withiut bleaching or ruining her natural hair color, and left it in good condition.

PM me if you need more info on how to use or where to find this

Thank you! I am going to try to pick up the Lucky Copper this week. I also saw this...are you familiar with it?  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008W30Z20/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th

Thank you! I am going to try to pick up the Lucky Copper this week. I also saw this...are you familiar with it? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008W30Z20/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th

I'm not familiar with that... but just about anything that says "temporary" or "SEMI-permanent" should be OK. DEMI-permanent color is longer lasting, so avoid that... also steer clear of henna if she wants to be rid of the color.

Also, do a deep conditioning treatment before coloring... it will 'fill in' the gaps if her hair is damaged or porous.