Menu

American History for 6th Grade?

I would like an American History study that would work for 6th graders, that includes map work has suggested books to go along with it, kind of like SOTW-ish.  We are Christian so Christian content is fine.  Give me your favorite American History suggestions.

I have not done their American History book, but we are doing the World History by Nottgrass and really really like it. It has map work and timeline and a literature book component. It's not really Story of the World-ish. It is a textbook. But it's pretty interesting and has doable chapters and beautiful pictures.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1

My dd liked Notgrass America the Beautiful. I liked that it includes a book of primary source documents.

We have really liked the book of primary source documents for From Adam to Us, too. I had never heard of that being included before and it is a great addition!

Thanks for the feedback. I have been looking through everything and anything I can find all day.  America the Beautiful sounds really good but when I read through the samples, it just doesn't sound as interesting as the books I already have of A History of US.  I am thinking I might like to use A History of US but I would like map work and book suggestions to go with it.  I was looking at Sonlight because I read they have a schedule for these books and guide that helps the parent discuss some of the possible liberal bias and that sounds really good.  The only thing is I have never used Sonlight, I don't want to spend that kind of money and I think it would probably move a bit faster than I want to move....possibly.  I'm not sure what I would need to buy if I wanted to go with the Sonlight guide.  Anyone familiar with this?  I may have to start another thread.

Have you looked at Build Your Library? Years five and six are US History using the History of US books. It's high on my list for my sixth grader grader next year (I think he would like

the variety of books, while my older dd preferred the streamlined setup of Notgrass).

I haven't looked at that one....going to check it out now.  Thanks!

Have you looked at Guest Hollow (free, and the author is a fellow boardie)?  I tried to use Notgrass America the Beautiful, but my son (and I) really did not like it at all.  IIRC, Guest Hollow includes selections from The History of Us to go along with the weekly schedule.  I cannot remember if there is geography included, but it has lots of history, historical fiction, read alouds, projects, websites, etc. that go along with the history periods.

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/curriculum.html  (you need to scroll down to find Year 1 and Year 2). 

I have also been buying some individual Tapestry of Grace units as well.  I really like the discussion questions  I feel like we have taken our history discussions to a whole new level (and truth be told, I can be very lazy and not read the entire assignment but rather just the summary they provide and I can still lead a discussion with my son).

Have you looked at Guest Hollow (free, and the author is a fellow boardie)?  I tried to use Notgrass America the Beautiful, but my son (and I) really did not like it at all.  IIRC, Guest Hollow includes selections from The History of Us to go along with the weekly schedule.  I cannot remember if there is geography included, but it has lots of history, historical fiction, read alouds, projects, websites, etc. that go along with the history periods.

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/curriculum.html  (you need to scroll down to find Year 1 and Year 2). 

I have also been buying some individual Tapestry of Grace units as well.  I really like the discussion questions  I feel like we have taken our history discussions to a whole new level (and truth be told, I can be very lazy and not read the entire assignment but rather just the summary they provide and I can still lead a discussion with my son).

I have looked at Guest Hollow but have not found any map work there.  I have not checked out TOG but I don't really want to use it.  I have two of the years and it just did not fit us very well so we are not using it anymore.  Thanks for the suggestions though.

So far, the teacher/student guides from Sonlight for History and Literature might be the best fit but I am still looking:).

No map work, but have you seen the US history for middle school at Hewitt? They have a syllabus with a scheulde, tests and projects. The spine they use is Hakim's A History of US. Price is about $10. https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Materials/mItem.aspx?id=2852

You can add in literature from BYL. You an also use the US History at Critical Thinking Company. http://www.criticalthinking.com/us-history-detective-book-1.html

I would not do the expense of SL just for maps.  I mean if you want to use SL, great!  But if you just want map work for US history I would think there would be a lot of ways to find that cheaper.  Memorial Press has a Geography book for the states and their capitals.  Knowledge Quest has a Map Trek CD Rom for US, link:  http://knowledgequestmaps.com/products/map-resources/map-trek-outline-maps/map-trek-u-s-edition/  Or just get a US historical Atlas and set aside one day a week to spend time with it and look at maps related to things you've read about.  

• Like 1

I just discovered there are Student Study Guides and Teacher Guides specifically written for the A History of US series and they have map work of some sort in them and they also have discussion questions / answers, writing projects, vocabulary work, etc.  Not sure exactly what the map work includes because I haven't been able to find sample pages with map work but the samples I have found still look pretty good. 

They made a set of guides for elementary and another set for middle school / high school.  I ordered one from Amazon so I can take a look at it first hand but I have a feeling this is very close to what I was looking for and a ton cheaper than the Sonlight route.  The A History of US books also have a section in the back where they list other books to read along with the history book, so I think that covers everything I was looking for.

Thanks for your suggestions!

• Like 1

SL has a core, or used to, that works through the History of Us books. And yes, agreeing with the others that you can just get a cd of maps from KQ, easy peasy. History of US is sort of deceptively simple. People are doing it, adding things, and taking the AP US History exam, lol. You might want to spread it over two years.

Lea in OK, where did you find (see) all the specific resources for Hakim's The History of US? Thanks!

I've seen them in Amazon. Just do a search foe Hakim's study guides. You will be able to look at a sample. I think I've seen them on the Rainbow Resource site too.

Lea in OK, where did you find (see) all the specific resources for Hakim's The History of US? Thanks!

Go to www.joyhakim.com website, click on the Teaching Resources tab and scroll down a bit.  There is even a table showing which of the books have which teacher/student guides.  It is very helpful.  I have found many of them on Amazon.  I have not been looking too hard yet because I wanted to wait until our local homeschool curricula resell shop is open tomorrow to see what they have first.  I know they carry many of them.

ETA: If you want to see samples of the Student/Teacher guides, check out Amazon and then also check out Rainbow Resource.  They each have different samples.  I am very impressed with the guides.  They even lead the student in how to take notes as they are reading.  Of course, they also have the map work and they combine chapters together into theme units and provide information about the theme.  Really look like they are well done.....but I am anxious to actually get one in my hands so I can really go through it and see the whole thing.

Edited by Lea in OK