Menu

Book rec. on puberty for girls

Lorien

Title says it all! My mom had a little yellow book with cute little pictures of happy little girls. It made the change (at least for me) to be nothing to fear. Dd is almost ten, but I don't think it will be too much longer. We've already started talking, but something she could look through and we could read together would be nice!

Sigh. I'm not ready for her to grow up! She just thinks it's gross and so unfair that girls get all the bad stuff! 😄

Pretty much the only thing I really disliked about the AG books is that they brought up things that never would have occurred to my daughter otherwise. I don't think it would have entered her mind that girls might be harassed because of their bra size or their acne, and the AG books used ugly phrases like "pizza face." I want my daughter to be confident, and I don't think the books actually helped her with that. That said, I gave the book to her at a younger age than others might. Maybe those types of discussion would be okay for older girls or girls who are in need of them.

OP, there are now two versions of the AG book. The Care and Keeping of You 1 is almost identical to the The Care and Keeping of You 2, but the first shows how to use a pad, and the second has a detailed drawing of tampon insertion. Just FYI. 

If you're looking for a secular book, I recommend Period. A Girl's Guide. Super interesting and informative. The last chapter is about pelvic exams, but that can be skipped if desired. There is really no discussion about sex, except to mention that girls who are sexually active need to start getting pelvic exams and girls who are still virgins can use tampons.

For a basic book about puberty and sex from a conservative Christian perspective, Growing Up God's Way for Girls is fairly well done. It's for girls who are a bit older than your daughter, though.

The God's Design for Sex series by Stan and Brenna Jones is also good. I have other books in the series, but not the puberty one.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

What worldview are you looking for? AG is good for secular (though I'd recommend the book "for younger girls" if she's 10).

For a Christian worldview, I like Stan and Brenna Jones' God's Design for S*x series.

If you're looking for a secular book, I recommend Period. A Girl's Guide. Super interesting and informative. The last chapter is about pelvic exams, but that can be skipped if desired. There is really no discussion about sex, except to mention that girls who are sexually active need to start getting pelvic exams and girls who are still virgins can use tampons.

For a basic book about puberty and sex from a conservative Christian perspective, Growing Up God's Way for Girls is fairly well done. It's for girls who are a bit older than your daughter, though.

The God's Design for Sex series by Stan and Brenna Jones is also good. I have other books in the series, but not the puberty one.

Definitely looking at this from a conservative Christian standpoint, although secular is fine too.

Thanks for the suggestions! I plan to check them all out to see what would work for us.

• Like 1

Just bought What is Happening to my Body? by Lynda Madaras for both my kids. There is a boy one and a girl one. Good stuff.

Imo, this one is for older teens because it goes beyond puberty. For a pre-teen, the other book suggestions upthread are more appropriate.

We had the Care and Keeping of You by AG and were very pleased with it. But that was a LONG time ago. I had one girl so we are talking 2003/2004. I don't know if the current versions are as good.

Not certain about boys. Dh handled that, and the boys have been fine. I am not certain if he provided a book. He took them on guy only trips and they talked a lot.

We liked the younger AG book because it was just about puberty. No s3xual stuff at all. Very tastefully done and we read with with a 9 & 7 year old. Oldest DD really found comfort in some of the topics about hormones/emotions (though most of the book is about physical changes)

• Like 3

We liked the younger AG book because it was just about puberty. No s3xual stuff at all. Very tastefully done and we read with with a 9 & 7 year old. Oldest DD really found comfort in some of the topics about hormones/emotions (though most of the book is about physical changes)

Thank you! This answered one question I had and didn't want to ask....whether it goes beyond puberty. I'll take that step when I feel dd is ready. For now, we just need info on body changes.

Thank you! This answered one question I had and didn't want to ask....whether it goes beyond puberty. I'll take that step when I feel dd is ready. For now, we just need info on body changes.

Yes! This is the same for me, also. 

I just went back through the book to double-check.  Nothing s3xual at all - one section says something about how, during puberty, you may start looking at boys a whole new way.  But that's it, as far as it goes.  And it's within a whole paragraph about subtle changes (emotional) during puberty.

I'm actually about to buy a 2nd copy for youngest DD (now 8).  I noticed that oldest rereads her copy, and has bookmarked a few sections, so I'll let her keep her own.

As far as the "pizza face" comment:  at the end of each chapter is a "Body Talk" section.  It's presented as a letter-to-the-editor type thing. (Dear AG, I'm 10 and I have 14 zits. My friends called me pizza face.  When will they go away?") That sort of thing...

Edited by alisoncooks