Menu

OK guys. Can I move somewhere crazy cold for a lot more money?

MeaganS

OK, so dh has an interview with the one in MN!  I nixed the idea of one in rural MN. I just don't think I could do it. I'm an introvert but even that seemed too isolating to me. From what I can see online on cost of living calculators and houses on zillow, we will be able to meet all our financial goals great there. By vacationing, I guess that is misleading. I "vacation" a lot now, but I am notoriously good at doing it on the cheap. We camp, I drive, we bring our own food. I like adventures and on a resident/med student budget, I've had to get creative. I find cabins last minute in the off season for under $50/night. My magnum opus was a 2 and a half week car trip from NC to Utah, Yellowstone, and Mt. Rushmore last year in which we spent $1200 total. So by vacation, I mean basically a promise from dh that I can leave whenever I'm feeling weird, drive 2 days south to west Texas, and see my parents where it is warm. Or something like that. And by "big" house, I mean 2600 sqft-ish, which is big for what we have now, but not like, "doctor house" big. Things like lots of light and good kitchen mean more to me than space, though. I do think I would need a decent basement where the kids could run around.

We are huge on budgeting. Our current plan is to be out of debt in 3 years after residency. We use YNAB religiously (and have for a few years) and have read tons and have money-savvy parents who've helped guide us. We've actually managed to keep our total debt below the national medical student average, despite me staying home with our kids throughout undergrad, med school, and residency.  Heck, dh's undergrad degree was in personal finance. So assume we're being careful. And that the pay really is that much better.

And we honestly don't have strong preferences towards anywhere in the country. Between dh and my families, we have siblings and parents in over 11 different states. And cousins and grandparents in even more. I've lived in 9 different states so far. So I can be happy in many places. I consider myself "close" to family if we are within 10 hours of someone.

I'm actually feeling excited about the idea! I hadn't thought about the fact that SAD would be effected by sunny days and not just cold. I should have, but it didn't occur to me. Looking at averages for the area, it appears that it is plenty sunny there. So hopefully that won't be as much of a problem as I feared. I'm traveling with DH to the interview, so I can hopefully get a better idea of what it is like. Thanks guys!

How very exciting!  Sounds like the beginning of a grand adventure for you all!

We submitted our offer for MN (offices in Duluth and Minneapolis) and shall see. Nobody we talked to online or in person had a bad thing to say about the state beyond the cold, and that's high praise. We are also looking at Chattanooga and some work in Delaware and Penn, in addition to the Asheville and Duluth threads I already started. When it is so open ended it almost makes it a harder choice but we firmly believe a lower cost of living area, even with dodgy weather, makes for better quality of life for families like ours.

I wish you the best - keep us updated on whether he gets the position!

We submitted our offer for MN (offices in Duluth and Minneapolis) and shall see. Nobody we talked to online or in person had a bad thing to say about the state beyond the cold, and that's high praise. We are also looking at Chattanooga and some work in Delaware and Penn, in addition to the Asheville and Duluth threads I already started. When it is so open ended it almost makes it a harder choice but we firmly believe a lower cost of living area, even with dodgy weather, makes for better quality of life for families like ours.

I wish you the best - keep us updated on whether he gets the position!

This one is in Duluth! We could be neighbors!

This one is in Duluth! We could be neighbors!

That would be hilarious given the hive and the timing. We shall see! Duluth looks amazing and like I said, nobody on here or in real life had a bad thing to say. Even in terms of weather it was snowy and cold but not dreary, which is totally manageable. And the housing is SO cheap. State taxes aren't great but they're not awful either.

Fingers crossed we get a great offer. I don't doubt we will get one, but it's got to be high enough for us to move :).

Wishing you guys the best with the interviews :D

I don't know. For me there is. I enjoy being at home, keeping my own company most of the time. But sometimes I want to get out and go somewhere and do something and be around people without necessarily talking to them. In a city that might be the children's museum, shopping, or the ymca (I always have the kids in tow). I don't often want to go to someone's house. And I would feel very isolated if I didn't have an option of anywhere to go "introvert friendly" because it was too cold. So for me, it is a bit of that.

Ah, I see.  Being able to be among people but remain anonymous is definitely easier in a larger city!