Menu

Hearing Loss

MinivanMom

My younger daughter has been complaining that she can't hear or understand her coach when she's in the gym. The gym isn't very loud, but she claims she can't hear the coach at all over the noise. Last night I noticed that the coach was pantomiming things to her as he spoke - something he doesn't do for the other girls - which made me think that he was aware of her having trouble understanding him. I plan to ask him about it when there's an opportunity.

This is my child who had severe articulation issues when she was little. Her speech is perfect now (at 9), but she does have a tendency to speak very loudly in situations where there is background noise. She's always passed her hearing screenings, but I'm wondering if there could be a hidden issue there. Is it possible for there to be a problem that normal screenings don't pick up?

When is the last time she was tested?  We all first began noticing our dd's hearing problems in a gym class.  A gym is difficult enough as is, acoustic-wise, but everyone else seemed to hear okay.  But our dd tested poorly in low tones.  That explained it for her.  

• Like 1

what kind of hearing screenings has she had?  the one's at school that take all of six seconds?  the one at the dr's office that takes may be 20 seconds?

has she ever seen an actual audiologist? 

has she ever had a screening in a "sound" booth?

being able to hear in a quiet background vs a  noisy background and discern the sounds that matter and ignore all the background noise are two different things.

most people, learn how to listen to what is important and ignore the rest.  some brains can't.   re: auditory processing disorder.  it's not organic (so a child will pass even an in depth organic hearing test -(dudeling's was 1 1/2 hours)

• Like 1

Has she seen an ENT doctor? There are different things a hearing test alone might not be able to tell you.

I would see an audiologist first.  they will do a very thorough organic hearing test.  if she fails that - she would be referred to an ent to look for the cause of any hearing issue.

• Like 3

I would see an audiologist first.  they will do a very thorough organic hearing test.  if she fails that - she would be referred to an ent to look for the cause of any hearing issue.

This is what I was going to ask. I would start with an audiologist first, right?

She has only had basic hearing screenings in the past. The type where you wear the headphones and they play a single tone at time. Can more in-depth testing with an audiologist test for issues with background noise?

• Like 1

This is what I was going to ask. I would start with an audiologist first, right?

She has only had basic hearing screenings in the past. The type where you wear the headphones and they play a single tone at time. Can more in-depth testing with an audiologist test for issues with background noise?

what you are describing is the quick screening done to test for an organic issue that may or may not warrant further testing.  it's *just* a quick screen.

we've done the apd testing.  they start with an incredibly thorough hearing test.  the same one given to people with organic hearing loss that will result in hearing aids.  it was an hour and a half.  (ok, some of it was sitting around - but it was long.)

if it's an organic hearing loss - it is treated differently than if it is a processing disorder.  if she had tubes, or ear infections - that can cause damage.

IF she passes that one, they will set up another appointment to do an auditory processing test.  it has multiple tests, in sound booths and out.  it's also at least an hour.

they will be able to tell you if/why she has issues in crowds and not  in a quiet setting.  that she does - is a flag for a processing disorder.

eta: there are three types of processing disorders - they are treated differently.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

The ENT will have you schedule an appointment with the audiologist first, but you should follow up with the ENT. Having him get a visual look in the ears is an important part of this. My disease--Cholesteatoma--was caught by the ENT looking in my ears and noticing my ear drum wasn't right. Then he was able to order further testing to see exactly what was going on.

• Like 1

This is my child who had severe articulation issues when she was little. Her speech is perfect now (at 9), but she does have a tendency to speak very loudly in situations where there is background noise. She's always passed her hearing screenings, but I'm wondering if there could be a hidden issue there. Is it possible for there to be a problem that normal screenings don't pick up?

Yes, unfortunately. If she has hearing loss that only affects certain frequencies, the regular screening at the pediatrician's office might not pick it up. My little one was profound in the high frequencies but had enough hearing in the low-to-mid frequencies to pass the hearing screenings.

Please have her see an audiologist for full booth testing just to make sure that she doesn't have a partial loss missed by the screening test.

• Like 3

I'm going to call our doctor to see who she recommends, but it looks like there are audiologists with their own stand-alone clinics and also audiologists who work with ENT docs. I know that the ENT doctor I've taken our youngest son to in the past shares office space with an audiology clinic, and I assume they work together. Is there a reason to prefer one type of set-up over the other?