Menu

Great read aloud suggestions please

I need a great read aloud to read to my teens. Boys ages 14 and 16. They are both dyslexic and one is quite science minded and the other music minded. The younger one likes to read and will read for fun. Mostly fantasy. The older one likes to read but really has very little time to read outside of school work and so doesn't read very much.

My younger ones ages 2-11 will be around and may or may not listen. In the fall we read Scarlett letter which worked along with early American history and was perfect because I'm not sure they could have read it alone. They were a bit overwhelmed with the writing as it was. They followed along and they younger ones mostly went outside while we were reading. I would prefer this one to be something they all would enjoy and there fore I want to avoid very mature topics

I'm wanting to read something that will be fun and enjoyable but also expose them to a classic or something that they otherwise wouldn't read. I'm having a hard time deciding.

When they were younger they loved books like witch of blackbird pond, sign of the beaver, carry on mr bowditch, Johnny tremain, Just David, LOTR, narnia and such.

I prefer to have books that are under about 200 pages as we end up getting a bit slogged down getting through a longer book. (LOTR was done on audio 😂) but that's not a hard and fast rule.

A well written biography of a famous person could work really well. The science minded one especially does well with non fiction and factual books. I want it to be something that will make them think and inspire them to be better people if that makes sense.

We are at about Revolutionary War times in history and are studying chemistry in science. It doesn't have to go along though. It could be just really good Lit.

Thanks for any ideas!

Carry on, Mr. Bowditch might be good. My dc love this. We just re-read it as a read aloud this fall.

I was typing fast and didnt capitalize so you didnt notice it but yes we read that a couple years ago and it's still one of the boys favorites. It's one of those books that I know had a positive influence on them and became part of who they are. They would probably love it if I read it again but I'm looking for something similar but new if I can find it.

Little Britches by Ralph Moody is an excellent autobiography. We read it aloud as a family and is one of those books that is part of our family culture now. It was the first book my teen son made his own. He ruminated about it on his own and made connections from the book to his own life and relationship with his dad.

I highly recommend it.

Little Britches by Ralph Moody is an excellent autobiography. We read it aloud as a family and is one of those books that is part of our family culture now. It was the first book my teen son made his own. He ruminated about it on his own and made connections from the book to his own life and relationship with his dad.

I highly recommend it.

Ah yes. That should have made the list of favorites as we also enjoyed it very much. 😊.

I've been reading aloud for so many years and these two were old enough for most of it that I am having a hard time. I will repeat books for the younger ones but this morning time book I want to be for the older ones. (I read aloud again at nap time and bed time and yes that means 3 chapters type book going at the same time but to different mixes of children. Then there are still picture books and board books. I read a lot. Good thing I love it 😉)