Menu

photocopy of birth certificate for sports?

Tenaj

My 15yods is involved in a baseball team this year which is entering a tournament in a different state and we are required to furnish a photocopy of his birth certificate along with the registration form.  The instructions say that this registration form and the birth certificate copy will be kept on file for purposes of the tournament.  Our team will be mailing all the registration materials to the tournament site.

We've been required to show copies of birth certificates before for registration for various teams or tournaments but no copy has ever been kept on the file.  The procedure usually was to show the copy to someone at the registration to verify the information and then the parents carried the certificate in their purses throughout the season/tournament because officials could request to see them.  

I'm guessing this may be ok because it's just a photocopy not an official birth certificate but am wondering if I should be concerned about the security of the situation.

Thanks,

I agree, it is to verify your child's age - and there is no issue that I can think of with the birth certificate. I would not give out my childs ss number though :)

Oh, I understand the purpose very well - LOL!  In fact, last night my 13yods was playing in a jr. high basketball tournament game and we were joking about the kid on the other team that had a full beard and muscle definition!

Thank you all for the quick answers.  I guess I was worried about identity theft but never thought about the lack of the matching SSN would keep that from happening.  Thanks so much!

I just found out that there is an alternative way to deal with it.  They will allow the birth certificate to be shown at check-in.  One of the issues I have is that they are going to keep the certificates on file until the kid is no longer eligible for their league age-wise.  My son is ninth grader so that copy is going to be floating around for 3 more years in someone's files far away from our local team.

I just found out that there is an alternative way to deal with it. They will allow the birth certificate to be shown at check-in. One of the issues I have is that they are going to keep the certificates on file until the kid is no longer eligible for their league age-wise. My son is ninth grader so that copy is going to be floating around for 3 more years in someone's files far away from our local team.

I would not like that either!

• Like 2