Menu

How many times is too many to take the SAT?

retiredHSmom

My son took the SAT at the end of 10th grade to fulfill state testing requirements and also to see how he would do.  We did no prep at all and he didn't take it seriously.  His scores were ok but not what I know that he is capable of.  This fall he decided to apply to some fairly to very selective schools.  (Academies and Texas A&M as an out-of-state student). He began studying very hard for the SAT and ACT, the plan was to take them in march and April and see which he did better at and then move forward with that one.

It appears that he will do much better at the SAT his practice test scores are 100 points higher than his sophomore test and his ACT practice tests are just not great.  

I can't decide between having him take the SAT in March to see improvement and then continue studying and take it again in June for scores to submit for Academy and ROTC scholarship applications that will be submitted in July and then take one last time in September to try to get automatic admission at Texas A&M (which I think is within his reach, both his sisters scored at that level) or whether we should just skip March and take it June and September.

So is 4 times too many times to take the SAT and I should have him skip the March test or is 4 okay?

• Like 1

While I think 3 is a good cap, we have a friend who insisted her son take the SAT 4 times. Princeton was his goal. He was waitlisted there. He ended up not staying on the waitlist, but going to another school for free. (I didn't and don't ask what people get on these tests.)

I don't know if this is a case of checking w/ the school your dc wants to attend.  

I think some depends on your son's attitude toward taking tests.  If it is not something that he really dislikes, I see no problem with planning on having 4 test dates.  Remember that things can happen--DS woke up on one of his test dates with a stomach virus; grandmother died on one of my DD's test dates.  So, I would favor taking it in March and having remaining test dates as options--if you need them.    

• Like 1

I recommend the March test.

-Academy summer seminar dates and other summer programs can conflict with the June date. Neither of my kids would have been able to take that exam and the conflict arose after the deadline for the March exam.

-If he studies now and scores well, he could be done with testing earlier, freeing up time for other use.

-Both of my older kids needed to have SAT subject tests, which is offered in the same date as regular SATs. So that consumes a test date.

• Like 1

My daughter will have taken the ACT at least 4 times, possibly 5 if we feel it's warranted, in high school because we use it to cover our state yearly testing requirements (this doesn't count the two times she took it in middle school since I think those are dropped from the record). 

For those who've seen 3 listed as a cap for the SAT, can you give an example of the reasons people are citing?

I'd also go ahead with the March date to get it out of the way and in case anything else comes up.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 1

My daughter will have taken the ACT at least 4 times, possibly 5 if we feel it's warranted, in high school because we use it to cover our state yearly testing requirements (this doesn't count the two times she took it in middle school since I think those are dropped from the record). 

For those who've seen 3 listed as a cap for the SAT, can you give an example of the reasons people are citing?

I'd also go ahead with the March date to get it out of the way and in case anything else comes up.

We had this issue as well.  College admissions supposedly begins to frown on more than 3, but I explained that DD used it as end of year testing.  I still had to send those 9th and 10th grade scores to schools that require a full test record but she ended up with more than 3 times.  She didn't prep or study or anything for those earlier tests.  

Some schools require submission of all test dates. Taking it more than three times is sometimes viewed negatively from what I understand. If you aren't applying to any schools that require submitting all test scores, then it probably doesn't matter, except for the use of resources of money and time. I had one friend who had her ds take the ACT a dozen times!!!! She kept thinking his score would improve so he would get more merit money. Poor guy. I bet he got a 28 (which was where he maxed out) five times in a row!

• Like 2

Some schools require submission of all test dates. Taking it more than three times is sometimes viewed negatively from what I understand. If you aren't applying to any schools that require submitting all test scores, then it probably doesn't matter, except for the use of resources of money and time. I had one friend who had her ds take the ACT a dozen times!!!! She kept thinking his score would improve so he would get more merit money. Poor guy. I bet he got a 28 (which was where he maxed out) five times in a row!

Bless, kids hit a max.  A friend of DD's was determined to break into the 35-36 range and she made a 34 four times in a row.  ugh.  

• Like 2

We are also in a state that requires annual testing and we used it as our yearly test at the end of his sophomore year.  I didn't think about the fact that there might be some kind of unspoken limit on how many times you should take it.

Thank You everyone.  I am going to move forward with the March test regardless of anything else.  I will probably register him for June and then we will decide what to do about the fall. If he is terribly close to a "magic" score and practice tests are still showing improvement we will go for it.  If not we will skip it.

• Like 1