Menu

If you were to design a 1st grade Geography, Earth Science and Astronomy study...

Slache

I would:

Take my kids to the library and let them find books on these topics.

Visit state parks, nature centers, a planetarium; maybe attend a presentation or program geared for the age group.

Collect rocks and study the local geology.

Visit geological wonders in the state (caves, sink holes, bluffs, rock formations...)

Hang big maps on the walls, use map place mats, maps to color

Learn to read a map while hiking. Start with a simple map that has the trail marked and main features; topo maps fro older kids.

Learn how to use a compass.

Find an opportunity to look through a telescope

This would be SO much fun!

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

We did a first grade astronomy unit. We used the Usborne First Encyclopedia of Space, National Geographic Kids My First book of space, Space: For Kids who Really Love Space, and some DK/Nat Geo readers about space. We watched Brainpop and some other assorted stuff I found on Youtube. She got really into black holes, so we did a lot of extra learning on those.

We downloaded sky map or something like that (an app on the phone) and used it on all our camping trips to help us locate and learn some constellations.

We used and enjoyed this little unit from TPT https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Astronomy-Facts-and-Activities-24-Pack-1918656

We saw several shows at the planetarium.

We went camping at the local state park that has an observatory and on Saturday nights they open all the big telescopes and let you look. And all the astronomy buffs bring their $$$$$ telescopes too and they all train them on different things and let everyone look.

We read Once Upon a Starry Night, and Child's Introduction to the Night sky. And after we learned some of the stories of constellations, I had her make her own constellation. We printed out a picture of what she wanted it to be, then poked holes through the major points where the stars would be, and then used it as a stencil for plotting the constellation on black paper with a silver paint pen. Then we used it as a writing exercise and she had to write the story of how that constellation had come to be in the sky.

We haven't done earth science yet, but astronomy was really fun!

• Like 2

I would:

Take my kids to the library and let them find books on these topics. They're not good at this! :laugh:

Visit state parks, nature centers, a planetarium; maybe attend a presentation or program geared for the age group. We already do these. :)

Collect rocks and study the local geology. Good call!

Visit geological wonders in the state (caves, sink holes, bluffs, rock formations...) I was thinking Mount Saint Helens, The Ape Caves and Crater Lake.

Hang big maps on the walls, use map place mats, maps to color. He has a map above his bed.

Learn to read a map while hiking. Start with a simple map that has the trail marked and main features; topo maps fro older kids. We do this too!

Learn how to use a compass. Another good call!

Find an opportunity to look through a telescope. We're buying these.

This would be SO much fun!

He's my oldest and in first next year so I want to take advantage of the ample fun time while we can!

That's how we did it too. We also used the Usborne First Encyclopedia of series (Earth, Space, Earth) as our intro to new topics and made notebook pages. 

Thanks!

We did a first grade astronomy unit. We used the Usborne First Encyclopedia of Space, National Geographic Kids My First book of space, Space: For Kids who Really Love Space, and some DK/Nat Geo readers about space. We watched Brainpop and some other assorted stuff I found on Youtube. She got really into black holes, so we did a lot of extra learning on those. I just requested all of these from the library. :D

We downloaded sky map or something like that (an app on the phone) and used it on all our camping trips to help us locate and learn some constellations. My phone doesn't support those. :(

We used and enjoyed this little unit from TPT https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Astronomy-Facts-and-Activities-24-Pack-1918656 Thanks!

We saw several shows at the planetarium.

We went camping at the local state park that has an observatory and on Saturday nights they open all the big telescopes and let you look. And all the astronomy buffs bring their $$$$$ telescopes too and they all train them on different things and let everyone look. KEWL!

We read Once Upon a Starry Night, and Child's Introduction to the Night sky. And after we learned some of the stories of constellations, I had her make her own constellation. We printed out a picture of what she wanted it to be, then poked holes through the major points where the stars would be, and then used it as a stencil for plotting the constellation on black paper with a silver paint pen. Then we used it as a writing exercise and she had to write the story of how that constellation had come to be in the sky. This is awesome!

We haven't done earth science yet, but astronomy was really fun! 

Looking at my shelf:

Child's Introduction to the Night Sky

A Walk in the ____ biome series Here's one of them: https://www.amazon.com/Walk-Tundra-Biomes-North-America/dp/1575055260/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486598708&sr=8-1&keywords=a+walk+in+the+tundra

whatever One Small Square books my library had

Magic School Bus: long stack of them

some Usborne bindups 

a rock kit---samples, streak plate, etc.--you had to identify the rocks

Janice Van Cleaves: Earth Science for every kid (selected experiments)

We also did some tree and bird identification when we visited places.  Binoculars, journal, and magnifying glass have all been big hits.

• Like 1

Geography was a separate subject every year of the elementary grades, rather than as a Science unit. Things we used:

- maps (paper maps and dry-erase maps, plastic place mats with maps and flags, a lap-sized whiteboard that had map outlines on the reverse side for white board markers)

- globe

- sticker books of country flags, and states & flags

- print outs of outline country maps for us to mark/color

- geography/mapping workbooks (Complete Book of Geography & Maps; Maps Charts & Graphs series; etc.)

- books on geography topics

(cultural geography - homes/foods/traditions/life in other countries)

(continents, oceans)

(physical landforms)

(maps and mapping)

We did Earth Science & Astronomy when DSs were 1st & 2nd grades. We used:

- books

- kits

- field trips

- activities/experiments

- some library videos

For designing our own science, I would look at the table of contents of several Science encyclopedias and for several science programs, pull together a "master list" of sub-topics to cover for that Science subject, and then look for resources available locally, at our library, or through homeschool mail-order to have enough materials, and then we'd work our way through the various areas of Earth Science and Astronomy. Examples of topics that broadly fall under "Earth Science":

Earth Science

- geology (rocks/erosion/soil, rock types/testing rocks, formations, earth layers, tectonics, earthquakes, volcanoes, glaciers/icebergs...)
- geography (physical aspects of Earth, landforms, measuring & mapping, latitude/longitude...)
- biomes ("climate zones": desert, arctic, jungle, prairie, forest, mountain, pond, seashore...)
- meteorology (weather; sun/water/wind; the water cycle; storms/hurricanes/rain/snow; fog, rainbows; weather forecasting)
- astronomy (sun, moon, the planets, solar system, stars, constellations, galaxies, telescopes, space probes/exploration/astronauts...)
- oceanography (tides, currents, waves, geology of sea floor, reefs, shore, tide pools...)

Enjoy your home-grown studies and explorations together! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Thinking Out Loud: For the car

Field guides

Star map

Binoculars

List of local hikes

Box for crap we find that I won't want to keep but will anyway

Magnifying glasses

Snacks for emergency field trips

Sketchbooks and colored pencils

Critter keeper