Menu

The Teachers Lounge 2-7-2017

scrapbookbuzz

It's TUESDAY! I think. Yes? My days are getting a bit discombobulated lately.

In the Lounge today for snacking, we have some chard (planning on making some chard chips later), little smokies (made with grass-fed beef, not pork), some oranges, mini bell peppers, and a few cans of soda.

What's up in your world today? Here: shower, coffee with friends, finishing LEGO rendition of King Nebuchadnezzar's Hanging Gardens ziggurat with my son. The history lesson called for a writing assignment but I know he really doesn't like writing (not because he can't), so I changed it up a bit. Then doing a read-aloud with him. Probably giving my daughter the day off as all her subjects are a bit intense right now and that's not a good mix the day after a field trip for my Aspie!

Anyone have funerals/Celebrations of Life this week? Here: within less than a week, I've learned about the deaths of three people I have connections with. One of them I don't think is having any kind of service. The other two services are this week. One was last night. The other is this coming Saturday. I know people involved well enough that I feel I should go show my support for the remaining family members. I'm thankful, though, that we weren't really close because I think I'd have to cancel school for the next week or so!  :blink:

Anyone have any upcoming travel plans? Here: at the Celebration of Life, the gal talked about her husband was the adventurer and "dragged her all over the place." And she said it positively. Made me, once again, think about how short our time here on Earth really is and that I need to make the time for our own personal adventures. :auto: So I'm going to be more vigilant about planning those! As for already planned upcoming travel, I'm going to help with my mom end of this month - in a couple of weeks, actually!

Talk to me! :bigear:  

• Like 1

What's Up: Another day, another doctor.  I was at the primary care doctor with my daughter at 8 this morning.  She now has a prescription for pain medicine and a referral for an upright MRI with flexion and extension so we can see for sure if her issues are due to a Chiari malformation or not.  We're about to start school.  I may or may not take Adrian to taekwondo.  Fritz and I are too sick still to take class and then Cameron started running a fever last night.  Ani and Cameron work this afternoon.  Jamie and Ani may or may not have sleep studies done tonight.  That all depends on insurance issues and who needs to get the pre-authorization.

Funerals: None, thankfully.  Last week my husband went to the funeral for his boss's mother and a couple weeks before that we went to the funeral for a guy I grew up with who passed away (at only 38) due to complications of type 1 diabetes.

Travel Plans: None.  We've got to figure out what is wrong with Ani before thinking about anything like that.

• Like 1

Good morning, all!

Today, is the book club that I lead at a another mom's house. I've hosted a book club at my own home or somewhere else since ds was in 3rd grade (in 8th now). I did it because I could tell he was not going to love reading (like me!). We're both more math people. I knew I would make him read better books if I had outside accountability. I went through Teaching the Classics and re-learned all about literary analysis, and I've so enjoyed doing it. Lit analysis turned a book into a problem to solve with many facets to figure out. That was great for this math girl! 

We read The Cay and are going to do some blindfolded activities afterwards and send them into the woods to try and build a temporary shelter.

Funerals: No, thankfully!

Travel plans: Dh and I are talking about possibly going to Disney just the two of us while ds is at a summer camp. He is beginning to think of planning us an overseas trip, which we've never done. He's thinking the cheapest, easiest place would be Ireland. I'm a bit afraid of flying but would tough it out for there. It would be awhile for that to save the money.

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 2

Butter, sounds like a tough week for you guys. I'll be praying for all of you!

Mom31257, I love the idea of hosting a book club for your kid to keep accountable! 

Might have to start that here!

Outside accountability is so helpful for me. It's why I started the co-op I direct 5 years ago. Ds wasn't loving writing, and I wanted to use IEW. Several friends were interested in it, so I've taught writing for the last 5 years, too. I don't teach him anymore, which was a big goal. I wanted him to be accountable to other people besides me. It's work and easy to think life would be better without it sometimes, but it has been so good for him. It's worth the work and stress to me to see him thriving. 

Somehow I missed your post, Butter. Will definitely be praying for y'all!

• Like 2

The Hanging Gardens sounds like fun. Did you have instructions for those, or are y'all just making it up as you go? Pics please! :)

We don't have much going on today. Celery says he's not feeling good. I'm not convinced he's really feeling that badly, but we've all been pretty stressed out lately, so I'm not in the mood to play psychic as to whether he is or is not feeling good, so if even if he's physically good enough to do stuff I'm okay with calling it a mental health day. So, no OT/Speech. And I guess no swim&gym for him either. And our play date to go bowling this afternoon got canceled too. We did watch a few TED-ED videos, and Celery read a Horrible Math book in bed (Key to the Universe, I think?), and Broccoli did some Reading Eggspress and MathSeeds. We'll probably finish watching Mary Poppins later - we starting watching it yesterday evening, but man, that movie is longer than I thought it'd be. And, apparently I need to do groceries today - we're out of milk...

Nothing much going on this week/month/year, lol.

• Like 2

Nothing much here today, the sun is shining and its warm, hoping dh and I get out for a bit on the bike.

Mercifully, no funerals, I don't think I could take it after the summer we just had with several losses.

As far as travel, my dh is now receptive to going on a cruise so as soon as I get our taxes done I'm going to look toward paying for one for us next year.

• Like 2

Today is a strange, strange day!

I started with 3 children, the 3yo's father picked him up this morning, the mom is coming for the baby this afternoon..it's been quiet, but weird.  I'm also on the second day of my 'conscious eating plan'.  :lol: I realized on Sunday that my waistline grew 5 inches in recent years, and not in a good way.  And our diet has not been great lately, either. I'm trying to get back to whole foods and listening to my body's needs/wants.  I am sitting here with a snack of havarti cheese (prepackaged serving), triscuits, and dried fruit, because I wanted something sweet.  I've already learned if I want sweet, I usually want fat or protein really - something to sate me.  The trifecta hits all points. 

We have no upcoming travel plans, but dh and I discussed our long term budget this morning.  We finally reached the point in our savings to cover a year at university for the oldest without loans/scholarships/grants. Now back to paying off his car ASAP. Our goal is to get ds through with as little debt as possible and then enjoy ourselves with world travel again. :)  I'm thinking South or Central America is next on our bucket list, though a small vacation to Maine will be in there first.

• Like 2

Good morning, all!

Today, is the book club that I lead at a another mom's house. I've hosted a book club at my own home or somewhere else since ds was in 3rd grade (in 8th now). I did it because I could tell he was not going to love reading (like me!). We're both more math people. I knew I would make him read better books if I had outside accountability. I went through Teaching the Classics and re-learned all about literary analysis, and I've so enjoyed doing it. Lit analysis turned a book into a problem to solve with many facets to figure out. That was great for this math girl! 

We read The Cay and are going to do some blindfolded activities afterwards and send them into the woods to try and build a temporary shelter.

Funerals: No, thankfully!

Travel plans: Dh and I are talking about possibly going to Disney just the two of us while ds is at a summer camp. He is beginning to think of planning us an overseas trip, which we've never done. He's thinking the cheapest, easiest place would be Ireland. I'm a bit afraid of flying but would tough it out for there. It would be awhile for that to save the money.

How fun to go to disney with just your dh.  I would love to do that. 

What airport are you flying out of for overseas?  There have been some really great deals lately.

• Like 1