Menu

Frugalistas Week 5: Feb 6-Feb 12

Halcyon

Hi all!!

How's everyone doing? Considering i was travelling all last week, i did pretty good. I am going to post my month to date numbers as that's easier for me:

Groceries: 0/$600 (we were travelling so money spent was on dining out)

Restaurants $100/150

Car payment 400/400

coffee shops 10/10

money transferred into savings 125/600

extra expenses: dog sitter: 250

I overspent by about 200 dollars last month on hobbies so i need to be careful this month.

How was your week past? Any plans for this week? I am going to be cooking in A LOT--no dining out, and doing a fair amount of pantry cooking.

• Like 1

I did ok with spending but sucked in the savings department. I did not get to save for this month because we had a medical come in that was the exact amount that was going to savings so I just paid the bill. I used my Amazon gift card and some mad money that I d saved and ordered a few things, an echo dot of all things, lol. I used my Memoria press gift card coupled with free shipping to order a few things that will be used for school. So not too bad but not as good as I would like.

So far so good.

Groceries 0/500 (we have a lot of frozen meats and such so we won't have to shop for veggies and fruits until Thursday or Friday)

Entertainment 51/100: we ate out on Saturday because dh had a martial arts performance we decided last minute to watch him perform in so we just ate out as a family. Another 5 of this went to dh getting himself snacks while practicing for the performance. This tiny amount of entertainment budget is going to be tough for us but we'll figure it out somehow.

Gas for car 0/150

Saving 0/ 300 we have to wait until dh's paycheck for this. But since all the bills are paid for Feb we'll easily get this much into savings if not more. We should be getting our tax refund in Feb which will go a long way to getting our savings built up for the year.

• Like 1

Well not such a good week already.  And I made it worse

Decided to get the kids a puppy 470 bucks later.  

Swim team fees for last month were outrageous.  Looking into that. 

Glad we are deciding to take a break from that.  

I have had just a really crappy month personally.  I topped it off last night running my one year old Honda minivan (most expensive car i have ever had) into my garage.  Tore up my car and the garage.  I am so crazy mad at myself.  I never make mistakes or if I do they are tiny.  An overdue library book.  I have never been in an accident.  Never had a ticket. 

I can't stop beating myself up about this.  My car was parked odd in the garage, i was trying to avoid dh's car in the driveway, and then I had kids crying/talking in the car.   Damn 

damn

damn

I just want to go to bed and wake up in summer or something.  

:grouphug: mommyoffive.  That's the worst feeling - when you are trying to be careful and something happens.  I live in fear of a parking the car until winter is over as getting the van parked in the tiny garage is darn near impossible thanks to the ruts and ice in the backlane - you have to gun it and pray that you don't hit anything.

Have decided to join in as I've realized that I'm going to have to be super careful for the next half year at least especially since DH has decided he wants to take a trip.  It will be just him but he has no clue how expensive things are so the budget he gave me is probably off by $500 - the airline ticket was already $100 more than he said it would be. 

We ordered pizza last night but that's our once a month treat (we don't go out to restaurants).  It's $47 but that will cover 4 meals for everyone except me (pizza being full of cheese, I don't eat it - that's OK, gives me a chance to clean up the leftovers no one else will eat).  I also bought $69 worth of groceries.  That should be almost all for this week aside from getting the dog's nails trimmed and a few more groceries.

Hoping to put up a few more items for sale this week as well.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I still feel so horrible. 

It will be interesting to see how much my mistake costs us. 

I did look into the swim bill and we got charged for a lot of things we shouldn't have.  So there is that.  

I feel like getting a job.  We don't need the money, but it would be nice to just have something to do.  

Thanks guys.

I still feel so horrible. 

It will be interesting to see how much my mistake costs us. 

I did look into the swim bill and we got charged for a lot of things we shouldn't have.  So there is that.  

I feel like getting a job.  We don't need the money, but it would be nice to just have something to do.  

You might want to check to be sure you don't have a concussion from the garage incident- a mommy of five who wants to get a job so she'll have something to do???  Just kidding of course, but I am impressed that you have time to consider a job! 

A friend of mine broke the side mirror off her car backing out of their garage. Three times. In one year. Her husband no longer lets her park in the garage.  So at least you're not that person. g

• Like 1

You might want to check to be sure you don't have a concussion from the garage incident- a mommy of five who wants to get a job so she'll have something to do???  Just kidding of course, but I am impressed that you have time to consider a job! 

A friend of mine broke the side mirror off her car backing out of their garage. Three times. In one year. Her husband no longer lets her park in the garage.  So at least you're not that person. g

I was going super slow, so I am doubting a concussion. 

Yeah I am no longer parking in the garage, which sucks because parking in a garage is nice. 

Wow 3 times!  I hope I don't get that bad. 

• Like 1

Nice thing about being sick - it's all a blur.  Did I spend money?  Maybe ... hmmm....

I did place an Amazon order.  I was going to get my kid some electric shavers.  They were an "add-on item."  I ordered some other stuff (my coffee and a couple pairs of pajama pants, since my last 2 got holes in unacceptable places) and pushed "checkout."  Then realized the add-on shavers didn't make it into the order.  Oh well.  :P

Oh yeah - I signed my kids up for a bunch of summer camps.  I don't think I want to know how much that is going to cost.  But, I know it will be less than last year.  The most expensive sleep-away camp is not happening this year.  The local stuff will still be expensive, but less so.

Next most expensive item was horse riding for my girls.  $55 per kid per lesson.  We try to do this most Saturdays, when school sports allow.  I also paid $81 per kid for them to participate in middle school bowling league for 9 weeks.  I'm a sucker.

I opened bank accounts for my girls (no cost).  I hope this will be a good opportunity for them to learn some money management ....

OK I feel like giving up today! We had a guy come out yesterday to give us an estimate on our sliding doors that need to be replaced and the damn dog spilled an entire cup of coffee on his Mac. We of course offered to pay for the damage. Today we found out the laptop is dead and needs to be replaced. We heard this from a third party and not the guy himself so we are waiting for him to contact him. I hope his company(huge well known company in the area) handles it but if not we just got set back a lot in terms of savings goals.

I just want to blow my budget on booze and ice cream right now

I don't think I belong in a thread titled frugalistas this week. I paid TKD fees, ordered ds a bike for his birthday and spent a fortune on crap for a party that will be used and consumed in a couple of days.

However I have worked out a sane compromise in my head where the kids get a party at 5, 10 and 15 and then the 18th so I won't be doing it again for a while. Three years till the next one!

Also we may be eating beans and rice for a couple of weeks ðŸ˜

I was going super slow, so I am doubting a concussion. 

Yeah I am no longer parking in the garage, which sucks because parking in a garage is nice. 

Wow 3 times!  I hope I don't get that bad. 

Also, to make you feel better about your garage parking story, I once parked in our garage with a bike on the bike rack on the top of the car.  It was spectacular.  The bike - totally fine.  The car - totally not.

Because the damage to the car was so high I actually had to file a police report so that our insurance would cover the repairs.  The police were very confused by my report.  "So... there were no other vehicles involved?"  "No."  "No other people involved?"  "No."  "No damage to anyone else's property?"  "No."  "Why are you here?"  Sigh.

OK I feel like giving up today! We had a guy come out yesterday to give us an estimate on our sliding doors that need to be replaced and the damn dog spilled an entire cup of coffee on his Mac. We of course offered to pay for the damage. Today we found out the laptop is dead and needs to be replaced. We heard this from a third party and not the guy himself so we are waiting for him to contact him. I hope his company(huge well known company in the area) handles it but if not we just got set back a lot in terms of savings goals.

I just want to blow my budget on booze and ice cream right now

Ugh

Hoping the company covers us.

Also, to make you feel better about your garage parking story, I once parked in our garage with a bike on the bike rack on the top of the car.  It was spectacular.  The bike - totally fine.  The car - totally not.

Because the damage to the car was so high I actually had to file a police report so that our insurance would cover the repairs.  The police were very confused by my report.  "So... there were no other vehicles involved?"  "No."  "No other people involved?"  "No."  "No damage to anyone else's property?"  "No."  "Why are you here?"  Sigh.

Oh wow.  Thanks for that.  It does make me smile. 

How did the bike come out ok?  Nuts.

Oh wow! Trouble with vehicles is no fun! (Mommyiffive, instances almost exactly like that were how my mom and I each found out we were prego with our thirds. I was laughing/commiserating)

Groceries: for two weeks, I budgeted $400. We still have the rest of this week, and we have $100 left with two to three days worth of food in the fridge. I may be able to put that on debt this week!

I walked into Target for rx twice and spent...$0!

Medicine: because I had some target gift cards...$0.

Starbucks: I'm an online student and it's one of the only places open late enough for me to work out of the house. So, $70 over the last three weeks. I don't feel like it's money badly spent, since I often take a child with me and I'm going at least three times a week.