Menu

Just because you choose... (JAWM)

Janie Grace

I'm sorry.  It sounds like you made the best choice all around.  I would have done exactly what you did.

I would caution against criticizing recovered memories to this person...  that happened with some of my extended family and it turned out the memories, though implausible, were true. And even though the person who initially made the claims had many problems (personality disorder, addiction, constant lying and stirring up drama, even theft), when the "sane" one found out these stories were true, she has repeatedly told me she wished she hadn't judged, or at least not spoken about it, and had given her sibling a little more grace.  She repeatedly told me this was the biggest regret of her life.

I highly encourage finding someone to vent to (IRL friend or therapist or even here) that's not personally involved.  That will help you work through it without saying something you later regret.  It's always easier to talk about giving grace to an unreliable person than it is to actually do so though...

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I'm sorry.  It sounds like you made the best choice all around.  I would have done exactly what you did.

I would caution against criticizing recovered memories to this person...  that happened with some of my extended family and it turned out the memories, though implausible, were true. And even though the person who initially made the claims had many problems (personality disorder, addiction, constant lying and stirring up drama, even theft), when the "sane" one found out these stories were true, she has repeatedly told me she wished she hadn't judged, or at least not spoken about it, and had given her sibling a little more grace.  She repeatedly told me this was the biggest regret of her life.

I highly encourage finding someone to vent to (IRL friend or therapist or even here) that's not personally involved.  That will help you work through it without saying something you later regret.  It's always easier to talk about giving grace to an unreliable person than it is to actually do so though...

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Yes, good advice. I would never say anything that indicates my skepticism to this person. 

• Like 1

elizabeth loftus is also high skeptical of recovered memories.  she's a psychologist who has extensively studied the subject.  the uw fired her after she irrefutably PROVED a "landmark" case in recovered memory "law" - was faked.  (it wasn't PC to say the victim was a victim of her mother and counselor as opposed to the father in a very nasty divorce case.)   UC irving gleefully picked her up.

how a person relates to a npd depends upon what assigned role they have in the npd's orbit.  some do have it worse than others.  does sibling understand you think this person does have npd and you recognize the behavior was damaging? does she comprehend you will support her choosing to sever contact if that's what she must do for her mental health?  just because you think that, have said that, think that - does not mean your sibling believes it.

i know some who are either insecure, or vulnerable, or whatever - demand people agree with them 100%. *** that's a sign they need to do some healing.  I know I kept telling my mother I didn't want to hear anything about a particular person - but she'd tell me anyway.  I was very annoyed she wouldn't respect my wishes.  is it possible your sister thinks you will try to force her to have contact with the npd in your life?  (not saying it's true, just asking if this might be where her mind is.)

I'm sorry you don't feel safe from this sibling - though I'm not sure what you mean.  physically?  or family drama?

*** I've had this with lesser matters too.  like car brands.  you must agree with them or they get really . .. touchy.  two separate people.  both engineers.

eta: different brands of cars too.  almost makes me want to tie them to a chair and fold a map up wrong . . . .

Edited by gardenmom5

elizabeth loftus is also high skeptical of recovered memories.  she's a psychologist who has extensively studied the subject.  the uw fired her after she irrefutably PROVED a "landmark" case in recovered memory "law" - was faked.  (it wasn't PC to say the victim was a victim of her mother and counselor as opposed to the father in a very nasty divorce case.)   UC irving gleefully picked her up.

Yes, I have heard this too. But I would never dare bring this up to my sibling. Anything that comes out in therapy is sacred and TRUE (in their mind).

how a person relates to a npd depends upon what assigned role they have in the npd's orbit.  some do have it worse than others.  does sibling understand you think this person does have npd and you recognize the behavior was damaging?

Yes.

does she comprehend you will support her choosing to sever contact if that's what she must do for her mental health?  just because you think that, have said that, think that - does not mean your sibling believes it.

Yes, I have said that. I have no idea if sibling believes it. But I can't do anything more than say it.

i know some who are either insecure, or vulnerable, or whatever - demand people agree with them 100%. *** that's a sign they need to do some healing.  I know I kept telling my mother I didn't want to hear anything about a particular person - but she'd tell me anyway.  I was very annoyed she wouldn't respect my wishes.  is it possible your sister thinks you will try to force her to have contact with the npd in your life?  (not saying it's true, just asking if this might be where her mind is.)

I have no idea. They should have no reason to think I would try to force contact as I have actually acted on her behalf, helping to facilitate the distance (telling my mother to NOT reach out, telling her to NOT send that "reconciliatory" email, etc). I have done nothing but support and advocate for my sibling.

I'm sorry you don't feel safe from this sibling - though I'm not sure what you mean.  physically?  or family drama?

It's not that I don't feel safe. It's that I'm concerned I will be categorized as an "unsafe" (emotionally) person because I don't share the conviction that our mother should be cut off. I WOULD grieve her death. This might make me on the wrong "side." Which makes me really angry and sad.

*** I've had this with lesser matters too.  like car brands.  you must agree with them or they get really . .. touchy.  two separate people.  both engineers.

eta: different brands of cars too.  almost makes me want to tie them to a chair and fold a map up wrong . . . .