Menu

selling used items..?

PrincessMommy

It's a mixture of stuff we need to get rid of.  I have a loom I'm selling, but that will do best on weaving sites. 

But, I'm thinking of things like a wheat mill & a juicer.  Neither of which I've used for years.  It may be too expensive to ship, especially for the juicer and all it's paraphernalia.

• Like 2

I'm trying to figure this out as well. For example, I literally just posted a couple items on a local FB group to sell (I created the group myself a yr or so ago for the homeschool community. I figured we'd see each other enough we could do drop offs at co-op or something).

There's some big consignment sale coming up in our area just for baby stuff, but I read all the rules and I know they will take a 30% commission and I will have to lug it there and pay some other fee, so I'm trying to sell now rather than go through extra hoops.

I'm also looking into creating an Amazon seller account, but for other items.

Then of course there is Craigslist, but around here I don't know how well that would work since we're rural. Might work for you.

• Like 1

The one time I had a loom to sell, it was surprisingly difficult.

I advertised through all the local spinning and weaving guilds, and at knitting stores, and told the one weaving store owner about it (she viewed this as competition, even though I never knew her to actually sell a loom, so she would keep a picture behind the desk in case anyone asked, and charge a 25% commission.  I didn't go with that.).

The way it finally sold was that I put up a flyer at Whole Foods.  At the time, they would allow this with management permission on their community board, out of the main aisles over by the bathrooms, for a maximum of one calendar month.  And that's what finally worked! 

• Like 2

How does selling on Facebook work? I'd like to give that a try.

Well search for local consignment groups or ask your friends if they know any. Then read the rules of the specific group because everyone is run differently. For example, some don't allow you to sell things to the first available pickup but rather it is to be sold to the first person who shows interest in the item.

Generally, you post a picture of the item, list what you're selling it for, and your general location or where you are willing to meet up. Then people reply that they are interested publically and you privately make arrangements to make the sale. Most people don't like coming to someone's house so you meet up in well populated parking lots.

• Like 1

How does selling on Facebook work? I'd like to give that a try.

On the iOS Facebook app theirs a Marketplace section. This makes it even easier than looking for buy/sell/trade groups. You enter your zip code and it shows you things for sale within a certain distance you choose. It also allows you to post things there AND you can add them with a single click to any b/s/t groups you are a member of and want to post it too. I've sold a bike, violin, dresser, loft bed, freezer and bought a few things as well.

The one time I had a loom to sell, it was surprisingly difficult.

I advertised through all the local spinning and weaving guilds, and at knitting stores, and told the one weaving store owner about it (she viewed this as competition, even though I never knew her to actually sell a loom, so she would keep a picture behind the desk in case anyone asked, and charge a 25% commission.  I didn't go with that.).

The way it finally sold was that I put up a flyer at Whole Foods.  At the time, they would allow this with management permission on their community board, out of the main aisles over by the bathrooms, for a maximum of one calendar month.  And that's what finally worked! 

I've posted it with some goodies.  It's in good shape and ready to weave on (that can often make a difference).  Right now it's just on the FB weaving and fiberarts selling site.  I'll move to Ravelry and some other sites later this month.   I bought this one via Craigslist and I may put it back there too.

I don't expect it to take too long, although it isn't one of the "in" looms.

• Like 1