Menu

Wilson Hill Academy WHA questions/info

After speaking with WHA yesterday by phone, I have some questions for the hive...

1.  How does a Logic Refresher class work?  About how much would it cost? How long does it last?  Any chance it could just be in Aug. (we have a very busy July planned)? 

My dd took a year of Logic using Nance last year in 8th grade and I was advised that she should either take a logic refresher class this summer or try to go and review the books on her own.  Since we are interested in meeting the graduation requirements and she would just be joining as a 10th grader, the scope and sequence for logic/rhetoric is Logic 2 in 10th, Rhetoric 1 in 11th, and Rhetoric 2 in 12th.  Logic 1 using Nance meets the prerequisite for Logic 2, but a refresher course is advised.

2.  What should we do about Latin if we used books with an entirely different sequence than Latin Alive (and with no cultural background/mythology included)?  My dd has completed Henle Units I-VI, First Form and much of Second Form Latin (MP), and some Lingua Biblica (also MP).  I ordered Latin Alive Book One on ebay and I need advice as to whether we should just start going through Latin Alive gaps or just use the Third Form and Fourth Form Latin books that we already have on hand and then go with MP Online Academy for Latin for the year after next.  As a caveat, I LOVE Latin, but only started learning it 3 years ago in Classical Conversations, and my pronunciation 'stinks'.  Thus, I would personally love to watch recorded classes of WHA Latin 2 if we went that route; but if we go with MP, I would just teach her at home since I've completed through most of Unit IX of Henle and want to keep on studying Latin and engaging with my dd on this subject (either way, actually).  She is doing 'A' quality work in what we've completed, but she has also started taking Spanish this year and wants to complete all three years with La Clase Divertida.  So her motivation for doing Latin at the moment is not as strong as doing Spanish (but I would really like her to continue Latin since she is so good at Latin grammar).

3.  I guess I am going to turn in a writing sample for whether we need Fund. of Academic Writing.  Currently, we are using IEW Adv. U.S. History Lessons as a supplement to SL Core 100, but I am a lousy grader of writing (except for grammar corrections), so I am unsure what to do.  She did do two years of Lost Tools of Writing in CC (Classical Conversations).

4.  As far as math goes, dd has been doing Saxon Math since CC days and is currently on Saxon Adv. Math as a 9th grader (on Lesson 42).  She is getting mostly A's on tests.  Will she be ready for Pre-Calc./Trig. as a 10th grader at WHA???  How far do we need to get in the Saxon Adv. Math book to be ready?

5.  For science, we are currently doing BJU Biology w/labs.  I guess she would do Physics I Honors (since WHA has a different scope and sequence for science) and then do Chemistry in 11th grade and either Physics 2 or AP Chem. in 12th?

All for now...gotta take my ds to a Chem. Lab in town, but will check back later for replies.

Thanks so much,

Brenda

Edited by Omma

Omma, 

We are former long time CC family as well!  We moved my daughter to WHA this year in 9th.  She is in Starlet Baker's Honors Comp class this year and loves it.  It's not as many papers, but it is more about refining the essay and reviewing mechanics and grammar from time to time.  This has been perfect for us because there are other essays she works on for GC and (a local) debate.  I think it's been renamed as Fundamentals of Academic Writing for next year.  I think as long as she's done IEW and LTOW from CC, she'd be fine there.  

The Science is Novare (with the exception of Biology--because their Bio isn't out yet).  It is very much a math-heavy course (even the non-honors version).  It takes a bit to get used to, but my daughter has thrived.  I'd email cjester@wilsonhillacademy.com for placement advice.  

A logic course is recommended before Rhetoric, but I don't believe you need to do Logic 2.  I haven't seen a summer schedule yet, so I'm not sure about Jumpstart Logic, but it looks as if bmartin@wilsonhillacademy.com might be able to answer that for you.  If you do email him, I'd love a response as well.  We are in a similar boat.  

As far as foreign languages go, my daughter wants to take Russian next year.  As a Russian major, this is a sigh of relief for me.  I can help her as needed.  If your daughter likes Latin, she might like Russian.  It has a similar grammar (hsix cases instead of Latin's five). I won't lie.  It isn't the easiest language (and it uses a different alphabet), but a Latin background would make it easier! Honestly, I wish my daughter wanted to take Spanish.  I love languages and took many over my high school and college years, but I never took Spanish and I regret that.  Plus, I've heard the Spanish teacher is amazing!      

Also, consider that you don't need to take all of the classes through them to get a diploma (a certain number per year).  For us, four per year seems to be a sweet spot (academically and socially).   GC is worth 2.5 credits (history, english and worldview), so that is 5.5 credits per year for us.  Add a couple local classes like music/art/debate, and you are good to go!  

p.s.  I know it's unlikely, but if you are in KC, pm me!  I'm trying to start up a high school social group for local WHA families!  

• Like 1

Wow, Amy!  Thank you so much for this detailed feedback. 

I just spent almost an hour watching MP Online Academy Latin for Henle Units VI - XIV.  I am looking for the archives of the recent WHA Open House to be posted so I can have my dd watch a bit of both and see which style she likes better.  We can more seamlessly fit in to MP, but I noticed that students do not use a microphone as in WHA, nor does the teacher actually underline or write on a given slide.  So I really like the class feel better in WHA.  If anyone has any other take on this or I am not accurate in my description, please let me know. 

As for Latin vs. Russian, what I meant is that between Spanish and Latin, she prefers Spanish more, but I think she still likes Latin okay.  It is more a matter of only so much time in the day and we've had a busy year so far because we travel an hour each way to connect with others to do Biology Lab and she has also worked on Apologia Physical Science Labs with another friend who comes to our house because her mom wanted a lab partner for her dd and the two are good friends (so some social time as well). 

Re: Physics 1 and whether it should be honors or not, if it depends on math aptitude, my dd has it in spades (esp. geometry which is her favorite subject).  I will email the contact person you gave me, though, just to make sure. 

First I am trying to get a new, ungraded writing sample from her that I can send in so that WHA can figure out placement issues for her.  I am happy that they do that.  I thank you for your info on FOAW...I think you are saying that the coursework my dd has completed means that this class would be a good fit for her (rather than that she could skip it).  Correct me, though, if I have misunderstood you.

I know the WHA office said we would need to do Logic 2, so not sure what is happening there, but I so appreciate the email contacts you have given me so I can find out more.  I think it is new info that they will be offering a Summer Refresher for Logic prior to heading into Latin 2, so stay tuned to the WHA website and I will also let you know if I hear anything.

And you are right, I am concerned about finding that 'sweet spot' so that her online coursework will not be overwhelming to her...but I need to prioritize what to drop.  I spoke to WHA about this as they seemed to think my dd needed BOTH Logic 2 AND FOAW.  The only other thought I had was to let her just take her separate online Spanish class and forget about Latin (but this is the subject I personally love the most and could help her the most in).  Also, since she is getting A's in both languages currently, I'd love to see her continue in both.  Sigh...this is so difficult.  But I still have at least one week, anyway, before I need to figure this out. 

Thanks so much for your input, Amy!!!

Brenda

Brenda, 

Sorry...  I just realized I made a mistake in reading your original question.  I was confused with the name change issues with English.  I originally thought you were asking about FOEW (the course before Honors Comp), not the current Honors Comp.  My daughter says she appreciated Honors Comp because it was less formulaic than her previous writing instruction.  There's more emphasis on the essays "sounding good" while allowing students to develop their own voice/style.  She's found this was a useful skill because many essays don't fit neatly into LTOW or IEW style.  They do writing exercises in pull-out groups and peer editing as well.  My daughter also appreciated the review of mechanics, how to do in source citations, and the grammar review (which she understands and uses better now because she is more mature).  Of course, the teachers at WHA would offer better advice than I can!  Just sharing my experience. 

That's impressive that your daughter wants to keep doing both Latin and Spanish!  My daughter longs to do something other than Latin.  She's a free-spirit, and she loves new things.    

I should also clarify... My daughter is in Chemistry, not Physics.  Because she attended a high school class locally the year before that which was considered an equivalent of Physics I, she was advised to start at Chem.  It's more math than she was doing with BJU the previous year, but it sounds like your daughter is much farther in math than mine is. Mine is currently in Geometry and the amount of math required is a bit of a stretch for my daughter.  She's managing, but it is a stretch.   I'd say the Chem book was better suited for Alg II students (which your daughter is past).  I can't speak to the Physics book at all.  As a certified science teacher myself, I do really like Novare Chemistry.  It takes a bit to warm up to, and it is very math driven, but the constant review means the student really ends up retaining the information more long term.  I'm certain that Mrs. Jester could give you better advice than I with regards to where your child should be in the science sequence.  

Good to know about Logic 2!  I need to check into that!  If you find more specifics on the Jumpstart Logic over the summer, please let me know!

By the way, you have probably figured this out by now, but the teachers' emails at WHA are simply firstinitial lastname at wilsonhillacademy.com (except for Starlet Baker, because there are two sbakers).  I've always found the teachers are very responsive to questions:)

Amy

Edited by amy in ks
  • Like 2

Seeing that Fund. of Academic Writing (this year's "Honors Comp") is being looked at as a remedial class, I don't think your kid needs to take it. 

It is easier than FOEW (the 8th grade class) in many ways. It is good for kids (like my eldest) who need practice and more instruction writing essays. IMO, your kid probably doesn't need it if she's already done all those things you listed.

• Like 2

Okay, so I emailed the people Amy mentioned and I've heard heard back from both the Logic and the Latin instructors.  Martin said I asked good questions, but he was the wrong person to ask...that there may be a logic refresher course this summer, but it wouldn't be led by him...instead to direct questions to Josie Lowery (I believe).  And there is a difference between a regular summer class that is graded from a refresher course that may not be graded (if I understand Josie correctly when I first spoke with her).

I may end up teaching my dd Latin for the upcoming year since I have the books and I have the general 'know how' (minus the pronunciation skills) to teach it at this level.  I may just continue on with MP 3rd and 4th Form (which eventually gets into Henle) and just use the Latin Alive I ordered from ebay as background info to read regarding cultural background material on mythology, Roman history, etc.  I have mixed emotions about this, but it would keep down the number of online classes my dd has to manage and would give me something to teach her myself so that we stay more connected with discussions, etc. (especially since I have a passion for this particular subject and this is actually the way she would like to do it).  My style is that I tend to defer to whoever knows something better than I do, but I am starting to see the advantages to this idea weighing out the disadvantages.

Good to know, Amy, that you are certified for science and you like the Novarre textbooks (which I have never used).  That gives me more confidence going forward in this direction.

And Root Ann, maybe we will be able to skip FOAW (we'll see how her writing sample is viewed once she gets it done).  If that is the case that we can skip it, then we would be down to a very manageable 4 online classes with WHA (plus the one outside Spanish online class). 

It's fun chatting about all these possibilities with you all.

BTW, Omma, my DD feels the same about Spanish & Latin as your DD. She LOVES Spanish & is okay with Latin. She's done Latin longer, but is better at Spanish - partly because of how much she loves Sr Gamache's class (despite his obvious quirks & organizational issues). She's decided to be done with Latin after this year, but to continue on in Spanish. 

• Like 1

I am looking for the archives of the recent WHA Open House to be posted so I can have my dd watch a bit of both and see which style she likes better.

Have you asked WHA about this? If not, I wouldn't hold my breath. . . They said at the parent's meeting that these recordings would be made available for current WHA families, but I haven't seen anything yet. I think you'll have to ask for them specifically.

I just received Latin Alive Book 1 in the mail and I can readily see that my dd would have to start with this book in a new class situation.  The vocabulary is QUITE varied from either Henle or the Memoria Press Form Series.  I am torn about what to do...whether to just continue with our home-brewed Latin or have her start up with Latin Alive Book 1 as a 10th grader at a new online 'school' while she was also doing the Great Conversation 1 & 4.  It seems like the topics would overlap well with all the background Roman history and culture presented in Latin Alive and I do think she would enjoy the oral component that has been missing in our homeschool.  Hmm...what to do, what to do...

I just received Latin Alive Book 1 in the mail and I can readily see that my dd would have to start with this book in a new class situation.  The vocabulary is QUITE varied from either Henle or the Memoria Press Form Series.  I am torn about what to do...whether to just continue with our home-brewed Latin or have her start up with Latin Alive Book 1 as a 10th grader at a new online 'school' while she was also doing the Great Conversation 1 & 4.  It seems like the topics would overlap well with all the background Roman history and culture presented in Latin Alive and I do think she would enjoy the oral component that has been missing in our homeschool.  Hmm...what to do, what to do...

What are your long term goals for Latin?  If you & she are happy with a leisurely pace just enjoying whatever you get to whenever you get there, doing it at home is probably better.  If she wants to get to a more advanced level like readings or AP, will you be able to take her that far or will you have to outsource at some point?  With the fixed pace of an online class, you don't always get to stop and smell the flowers. But, with an experienced guide (teacher) and the fixed pace of an online class, you might get further along to smell different flowers.

If you do decide to pursue WHA's online Latin, I would definitely ask them which Latin to do, based on what you've done so far. If your dd has already done Henle and some/all of the forms, I can't imagine that she'd start at the beginning again with LA1.

If she can get into Latin Alive 2 with Joanna Hensley as the teacher, I'd do that. JH is a truly gifted teacher! My dd will be doing GC 4 JUST because Joanna is teaching it!

• Like 1

Thanks for replying, Yvonne! 

The only Open House Live class I got to watch was Joanna Hensley in Latin 2 and I loved it!  Hence I ordered the Latin Alive Book 1.  Unfortunately, even though there is great overlap, I feel there is too much material in that first book that we shouldn't skip over it.  I would happily go on teaching and learning Latin at home with my dd, but I do not know the pronunciation properly and I'd love to watch recorded classes and see how Latin is taught right! 

You are right in that I should take in consideration our goals for Latin.  The problem is that my goal for my dd is that she be able to read ancient works in the original language, take the NLE one day, etc.  However, SHE has no such goals.  Sigh...  But even if we no longer have lofty Latin goals, wouldn't it be valuable to have that integration of Roman culture, history, and literature in both the Latin class and GC 1 & 4 merging together?  I like that the Latin Alive book gives motivation to want to read their stories, so maybe her motivation to want to learn Latin will develop and strengthen the more she actually does Latin.  We'll see...still not decided yet, but thanks for sharing your input!!!

I would definitely ask Mrs. Hensley about placement. She has been doing this long enough to know where to place students from other programs. Don't worry at all about the extra history and culture material. Your child won't be responsible for it in Latin 2. My dd switched from Wheelocks to Latin Alive 2. She knew all of the grammar but the first test did have some vocab she hadn't covered from Latin Alive 1. That was a bit challenging but it all worked out and Mrs. Hensley was very kind in working with my dd. I realize my child didn't come from Henle, but thought I would share our experience.

• Like 1

But even if we no longer have lofty Latin goals, wouldn't it be valuable to have that integration of Roman culture, history, and literature in both the Latin class and GC 1 & 4 merging together?

I used to think that I wanted everything to be as integrated/sync'd up as possible. That was too lofty a goal for us. LOL  I was putting way more time into trying to juggle WHEN things happened than into actually making things HAPPEN at all! But that's just me. I love planning out the ideal path, but I'm not nearly as good at translating ideal into reality.

What I learned in the process is that it might actually be better NOT to sync everything up so perfectly! There are advantages to being further along in some aspects of a subject/topic than in other aspects of it. You see things from a different angle when you have some greater depth on one aspect of the topic and then you start on another aspect of the topic.  That's convoluted.

With K-7 math, for example, my boys did both Horizons and Singapore. (All of Singapore PM--textbook, workbook, IP, and CWP for K-6.) I tried for all of 1st grade to sync the Singapore topics up with the Horizons topics. What a time sink! And it was a waste! It was _better_ for the kids to work through both programs, simultaneously, as written. It was helpful to hit a topic (fractions, let's say) earlier in one program and then to hit it again, with a slightly different twist, in the other program. It was like getting 3x the benefit of doing two programs than just getting 2x the benefit. Hopefully, that makes a little more sense.

Bottom line, nope, I do not think there is any benefit in doing LA1 at the same time as GC 1 or GC 1+4. None at all. Imo. :)  

If your dd can place into LA 2 (w/ Mrs. Hensley!) do it!  Practice the LA1 vocab over the summer, if you feel like it's critical. Don't spin her wheels for a year on redoing beginning stuff. If anyone can turn your dd on to Latin, it is Mrs. Hensley.

ETA: I haven't used LA, so I shouldn't be so quick to recommend LA2! I looked at LA and opted for Wheelock's.  I guess I'd ask around about LA first or ask your dd to look at the text and see what she thinks.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 1

5.  For science, we are currently doing BJU Biology w/labs.  I guess she would do Physics I Honors (since WHA has a different scope and sequence for science) and then do Chemistry in 11th grade and either Physics 2 or AP Chem. in 12th?

Did your child do BJU Physical Science? My son had completed BJU Physical Science and BJU Biology so I had him take WHA Pre-AP Honors Chemistry this current school year as a sophomore.  I felt like the BJU Physical Science was enough of a physics introduction that he could move forward without taking WHA Physics 1.  He plans to take AP Chemistry next year as a junior.  

Ok, lol, what am I missing with Mrs. Hensley, Yvonne? You're enthusiasm for her is making me curious. DD liked Hensley's class during the open house, so did I, but she doesn't want to switch. Are you telling menyou've strayed from the Barrs at one point?

LOL  No, Mrs. H was before we hit the Barrs.  Once you hit the Barrs, there's no turning back! LOL

When my oldest were in 3rd grade, I took Mrs. H's Latin-in-a-Week refresher class in anticipation of starting Latin w/ my boys. I was so impressed with her. She reminded me of my favorite high school teachers, and I so want my kids to have as many of those truly exceptional teachers as I can find for them.  She was at VP at the time. I enrolled my boys in VP's LfC A & B, thinking they'd be in Mrs. H's class for Latin 1!

The year they registered for Latin 1, she switched to only teaching Latin 2 & up. I thought, fine, we'll stay at VP. At least they'll have her for Latin 2!! 

The next year, I finally got them enrolled in her section for Latin 2. Finally! After FOUR YEARS of trying to get her as a teacher!  Yay! Life is good!  That summer, she had to drop one of her Latin 2 sections because she was having a baby. Guess which section she dropped!?!  Missed AGAIN.

On the up side, I DID get the boys into her Omni 2/Medieval course that year. It was a great course. The boys enjoyed it. She was the amazing teacher I knew she'd be, and she was very willing to work with us. I wanted the boys to do more substantive writing assignments than the typical Omni assignments, and she was happy to work with me/them to come up with really good, meaty topics related to the texts they were reading. And, she was happy to allow them to do those essays instead of the more "creative" writing prompt all the Omni 2 teachers were supposed to assign.  (Insane!! They're reading all these amazing books and one of the few writing assignments they do get is to do some "creative" sort of thing, more about them than about the amazing texts they were reading?!)

After that year, I was kind of done chasing after the ever-elusive Latin class with her. My boys wanted a path that would lead to AP Latin & I'd heard a lot of excellent (and now I know, well-deserved) reviews of Lukeion. So, they switched to Lukeion for Latin 3 & 4/AP.

She moved to WHA, where they use LA instead of Wheelock's.  When my dd finished LfC B, we tried LA1 bec. I thought it would be "kinder and gentler." Plus, it would get her lined up for a class with Mrs. H down the road. ( :) Dreams die hard.)  My dd hated LA; I hated LA. I should probably have placed her in LA2, but CAP had suggested LA1 after LfC A&B. LA was not a good path for us, so my dd moved to Lukeion & Wheelock's for Latin 1.  She likes it, which is weird because she is not a focused, diligent worker. Every semester I offer to move her to something "easier," and every semester she wants to stay with Mrs. Barr.

So, no, once we started with Lukeion & Mr. & Mrs. Barr, we never looked back. :)  But! Mrs. H is teaching GC 4 in the fall, so I've signed my dd up for that expressly so that she'll have Mrs. H for a teacher. If anyone can ignite an interest in Great Books in my dd, it's Mrs. H.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 3

What do you mean? Are you just trying to get to the next level of Spanish or something else like get their diploma?

I was going to try and meet their graduation requirements to get their diploma.  But my dd really likes Gamache and I did not realize it was 'substandard' in any way, but I guess WHA thinks so.  WHA has a list of graduation requirements that we were going to try and meet with my dd coming into the academy as a 10th grader.  One of the requirements is 2 years of language (plus 2 years of Latin somewhere between 7th-12th grade).  They wouldn't count as transfer credits the Spanish she wanted to continue to do with Gamache.

I was going to try and meet their graduation requirements to get their diploma. But my dd really likes Gamache and I did not realize it was 'substandard' in any way, but I guess WHA thinks so. WHA has a list of graduation requirements that we were going to try and meet with my dd coming into the academy as a 10th grader. One of the requirements is 2 years of language (plus 2 years of Latin somewhere between 7th-12th grade). They wouldn't count as transfer credits the Spanish she wanted to continue to do with Gamache.

Wow, that's harsh. I've taken Gamache Spanish 1 and it's not substandard. I'm very picky with any class DD takes. There's a lot of work assigned including listening comprehension. It's more work than Landry's Spanish 3, though I'm thinking they will not recognize Landry as well. The conversational aspect is missing with all language classes but that's the nature of online classes.

Are you sure they looked into his class and what he uses and the interactive aspect of Vista? It's very comprehensive. He even gives extra worksheets on top of all that work. Say what you will about Gamache but his class is not substandard. DD liked Gamache.

:confused1:  I guess we'll see. My dd will be jumping into WHA's Spanish 4 after three years of Sr Gamache. If she does well, perhaps they will need to rethink it. (WHA includes a lot more written (paragraph) work with their Spanish classes from the very beginning. Gamache also has bigger classes than WHA - at least Span 1 & 2. Perhaps that's what they are thinking? I doubt they really looked into it. I bet it was just a "we won't accept anyone else" type argument. It would be interesting to see if they accept the Barrs (Lukeion) for Latin. If not, we have our answer.  :lol: )

.. . . And, honestly, I don't think a diploma from them is that important. It definitely won't be prestigious. But, that's IMO.

Edited by RootAnn

• 1 year later...

WHA has a new spanish teacher for Spanish 1 & 2, Samantha Lucas.  Presently, she is my daughter's spanish tutor and has been teaching at a local classical school in our area.  She is fabulous!  

That's great to hear. I'm always happy to hear of good Spanish teachers!

I wonder who WHA will get for Spanish 4?

WHA has a new spanish teacher for Spanish 1 & 2, Samantha Lucas.  Presently, she is my daughter's spanish tutor and has been teaching at a local classical school in our area.  She is fabulous!  

Whatever you do, avoid Sra Pliego. We have had a negative experience with her this year. My son will not be taking Spanish at WHA again. he'll either do DE or homeschoolspanishacademy.com

• Like 1

I like Sra Pliego, but she is not the best fit for my daughter.  However, my daughter did fine with her once we found a tutor.  We tried homeschoolspanishacademy.com last year and that did not work at all for my daughter.  My daughter wants a book and needs to learn and understand the grammar of spanish.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had children take The Great Conversation 3 and/or The Great Conversation 6.  My daughter has taken TGC 1+4 and TGC 5.  They were wonderful classes, but my daughter had a foundation of ancient & medieval history thanks to the Story of the World books 1&2.  However, when we joined CC in 3rd grade we never found time to do the other SOTW books.  Thus, her American history education consists of 24 history sentences, memorizing the states & capitals, and what she learned from the show "Liberty Kids."  I was planning on her taking TGC 3, but I'd like to know the difference between 3 & 6 and if it's best to do both or if you can only do one, which is best. The books in 3 are fabulous and I hate for her to miss them.  Any words of advice?

TGC 3 & 6 Booklists.pdf

• Like 1