Menu

Veritas Press Diploma

Hi everyone,

I am going to start with a big salute to all highschool board moms. You guys are obvious Veterans in homeschool. I have a 5th grade DD who is extremely advanced. I don't want to graduate her early. In fact keep her with me as long as I can ( can I come across more selfish?). I am looking at Veritas press Secondary Diploma (7th grade). She is taking Algebra this year and so far doing extremely well. Is the Diploma from Vp worth it? Though we are from different religion and culture, I am ok with omnibus as well. I love the book selections there.

Do you think this is a good idea ( most likely Highest Honors) or can you suggest a different route? Thank you all so much in advance.

• Like 1

A full degree through VP is extremely expensive. This might be why you are not getting much of a response. Personally, if I am going to spend that level of money, I would not have all the instruction be from one place. We have chosen Lukeion, for example, for classical language instruction because they excell at it. This does not mean that VP is bad, but merely that one-size-fits-all is rarely great across the board. This is especially true if you have a different cultural and religious background,

Many have serious issues with Omnibus due to the questionable morals of the company, racism, and plagarism issues. There have been several threads about it you can search for if you would like more info.

Not for our family. We enjoy the freedom of studying subjects the way we want. With the exception of math and high school science, I design my kids' courses and rarely use textbooks.

I have had a 10 yr old taking alg, so I some of my kids are advanced. With that child with the exception of math and science,we did all subjects at home until he graduated at 18. For math he used AoPS through calculus and then dual enrolled at our local universities. For science he did multiple courses simultaneously, some at home and some dual enrolled.

His math before high schools included alg, geo, alg 2, counting and probability, and intermediate alg (AoPS book....the last 2 courses are where he started AoPS). In high school he took

9th precal,

10th: cal,

11th DE for multivariable, and diffEQ,

12th DE linear alg.

His only high school level,science before high school was physics in 8th. High school looked like this:

9th: chem and astronomy 1

10th: AP chem and astronomy 2

11th: DE university physics 1 and 2; at home, independent black hole and dark matter study

12th: DE modern physics, and classical physics 1 and 2. At home, bio.

Probably not hard to guess that he is now a physics and math major in his jr yr. He will be taking the GRE this spring and applying to grad schools in the fall.

My current 12th grader is equally advanced but has different interests. She loves languages and literature. She is taking her only DE course this semester, stats. She has not taken any APs. We have created some pretty intense courses and have enjoyed every minute. She has three foreign languages on her transcript and is fluent in French (and I don't know a word. She learned it independently); she finished math through cal her first semester of 11th, and this yr she designed her own capstone sr thesis project centered around research she is doing on Shakespeare.

Fwiw, our home brewed courses and transcripts plus course descriptions have been well-received by colleges. She is a phenomenal writer, and her application essays demonstrated her skills and love of language and literature. They were very literary, and she did things like include internal rhyme structures in her sentences. :)

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I am going to start with a big salute to all highschool board moms. You guys are obvious Veterans in homeschool. I have a 5th grade DD who is extremely advanced. I don't want to graduate her early. In fact keep her with me as long as I can ( can I come across more selfish?). I am looking at Veritas press Secondary Diploma (7th grade). She is taking Algebra this year and so far doing extremely well. Is the Diploma from Vp worth it? Though we are from different religion and culture, I am ok with omnibus as well. I love the book selections there.

Do you think this is a good idea ( most likely Highest Honors) or can you suggest a different route? Thank you all so much in advance.

Most homeschoolers issue their own high school diploma upon graduation.  I am not aware of any need to use any type of outside homeschooling agency for the diploma.

If you are planning on your child attending college down the road, the college will be interested in  your student's SAT or ACT score and the high school transcript.  I have now gone through the college application process twice, and neither school even asked for a copy of the diploma.

Good luck on your homeschooling journey!

• Like 1

EndofOrdinary: Thank you so for the reply. Now I am not even remotely considering Veritas.

8FillTheHeart: I have always tagged you along. I have a question. How do you do it all? Do you learn with the kids? I really want to do a home made course. I am just not confident. So you teach them yourself? If you are not well versed, how do I learn?

Snowbeltmom: Thanks a lot. So even top tier colleges don't require diploma other than mom made? Am I breaking my head for no reason😰😰

So even top tier colleges don't require diploma other than mom made? Am I breaking my head for no reason😰😰

Yes -- my kids were admitted to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Duke, etc.  with mom-made diplomas.  We did do many APs, SAT subject tests, and DE classes to back up our transcript.

Like 8, my kids were advanced but we opted not to send them to college early.  So, for example, this is my youngest daughter's math schedule:

5th -- Algebra 1

6th -- Geometry

7th -- Algebra 2

8th -- Precalc

9th AP Calc BC

10th -- Statistics and Differential Equations at the community college

11th -- Linear Algebra and Calc 3 at the community college

12th -- independent study in Real Analysis with a cc prof

Among her classmates at Princeton, this is not unusual. She said that most of the students in her freshman analysis class had taken the same math courses she had taken.  They were coming out of math magnet schools or are international students.

Yes -- my kids were admitted to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Duke, etc.  with mom-made diplomas.  We did do many APs, SAT subject tests, and DE classes to back up our transcript.

Like 8, my kids were advanced but we opted not to send them to college early.  So, for example, this is my youngest daughter's math schedule:

5th -- Algebra 1

6th -- Geometry

7th -- Algebra 2

8th -- Precalc

9th AP Calc BC

10th -- Statistics and Differential Equations at the community college

11th -- Linear Algebra and Calc 3 at the community college

12th -- independent study in Real Analysis with a cc prof

Among her classmates at Princeton, this is not unusual. She said that most of the students in her freshman analysis class had taken the same math courses she had taken.  They were coming out of math magnet schools or are international students.

That really puts me at ease. Thank you so much. 

8FillTheHeart: I have always tagged you along. I have a question. How do you do it all? Do you learn with the kids? I really want to do a home made course. I am just not confident. So you teach them yourself? If you are not well versed, how do I learn?

So even top tier colleges don't require diploma other than mom made? Am I breaking my head for no reason😰😰

I rely heavily on quality resources. Some courses I do learn along with them. Some I don't. I don't have to master content at the same level to create assignments and have discussions. For example, I know nothing about dark matter and black holes, but I could skim through the materials and understand well enough to generate research assignments. I can ask leading questions and interject additional ones during their explanations to know if they understand what they are talking about. Sometimes they don't. I don't know the answers, either, so we research until we find one.

Teaching Company lectures' booklets include suggestions for further research. Their outlines give a decent overview of the key concepts. They are a decent source for assignments.

For the subjects I learn along with them, we spend a lot of time bouncing ideas off of each other and looking up information. When my dd and I did her fairytale study last yr, we read multiple books on the psychoanalysis of fairytales, cultures and fairytales, extended metaphors in fairytales, etc. It was a topic I knew nothing about. As we read the books, we would pull out fairytales and look at what was being discussed. Sometimes we would look up journal articles on specific topics for greater clarity. I couldn't describe what we did in cut and dry terms bc we didn't do this and then that. We immersed ourselves in the study and read, discussed, researched, applied, debated what we each thought, etc. In addition, she would write analytical essays on different fairy tales, etc. it was a wonderful intellectual challenge and we had conversations which are memories I will treasure forever. (I am going to miss her so much next yr.)

My kids really like learning. They are intellectually curious and they put a lot of effort into these types of classes. Some of their classes are more check off the box ones (biology is that for my sr.) Those are more straightforward do this. But, we all treasure the ones that are different (for a lack of any word that really captures what they are.)

• Like 1

I really appreciate the detailed reply. My DD loves to learn new things as well and curious about everything. I am going go keep asking you all several questions as we go. I totally relate to missing your DD next year! I am sure she will miss you deeply! She is so lucky to have such involved mama!!! I will soon start picking your brain 8Fill!!!

I agree. I search out the best classes - online, in person, or mom-created for each of my children. A mom diploma with transcript is all you need other than ACT/SAT scores for most colleges. For more competitive schools, you might need more AP courses/Dual enrollment, etc. Certainly taking more rigorous courses will take you farther, but you have to do what is best for each individual student.

If your standardized scores match your transcript there is no reason to question anything.

About Veritas,

I have looked at their diploma program. It looks great. And students do have very good scholarship opportunities if you stay on their plan.  I do not have the finances to do their program. I also like to make my own choices about which curriculum to use. But also, it does require your student taking a specific number of courses through them. We do the self paced history/lit with Omnibus due to cost, but the live courses are not so heavy on the reading assignments. Understand that the reading assignments are very large.

I know in my home, advanced is not exactly the same as mature in understanding abstract concepts. Other moms have given you some good advise. If you are interested in Veritas, go to their website and see the requirements for different types of "diplomas." But obviously, many options do exist.  And if your student is just 5th grade right now, you have a few years to really hone study skills, organization skills, writing skills, etc... before you have to make a decision. (Unless you choose a school that starts their program at 7th grade) Many online schools offer diplomas. You have some time to research out the differences if you decide to go that route.

• Like 1

I rely heavily on quality resources. Some courses I do learn along with them. Some I don't. I don't have to master content at the same level to create assignments and have discussions. For example, I know nothing about dark matter and black holes, but I could skim through the materials and understand well enough to generate research assignments. I can ask leading questions and interject additional ones during their explanations to know if they understand what they are talking about. Sometimes they don't. I don't know the answers, either, so we research until we find one.

/quote]

How do you find your quality sources? Are you spending hours upon hours reasearching and reading to discover them? How are you able to quickly weed through the vast sources available? Are there certain places you "look first"? Do you have your older children help to supply their own resources for the course work you create together?

I've seen you mention prelection; but when do you decide that enough is enough and just make do with what you have discovered, even though something 'better' may be still lurking out there? And how to you determine what output you will require when designing your own courses?

Apologies for bombarding you with questions.......I'm headed into the end of middle school with my 1st next year and also expecting baby #5. I'm finding it difficult enough for time to adequately prepare now. Aside from the great font of resources from veteran mother's here (I've lurked for years!), I'm clueless as to where to find what I'm seeking for my oldest children, and to find it quickly and efficiently, while at the same time not wasting precious hours reinventing the wheel.

Edited by angellehg

We used a mix of Veritas classes and others online and locally, but no Veritas diploma. It's somewhat restrictive, and we had other goals in some areas. As an example, they have only AP Calculus, no other AP classes. And some of their classes are more faith-based than others. We've found their math and Latin classes to be more neutral, but you're going to encounter a young earth viewpoint in science classes and more theology in their Omnibus classes. That said, the quality we've experienced is outstanding.

For research, this board is the best source IMHO. Here we found out about Lukeion and Classic Academic Press for Latin, and then Pennsylvania Homeschoolers for AP classes.

My daughter is graduating in May, and everything is outsourced with her this year except for physics, which I am fine with teaching her. I work full-time, and she thrives on academic challenge, so it's been a good year for her. The outsourced courses she's taking are beyond what I could handle at this point. I am a STEM professor (among other things), and she's planning a liberal arts degree in college. So finding people stronger in that area than I am has been very important.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1

Hi Pistachio Mom,

Thank you so much for the reply. She is great at organization skills and good with studying and taking notes. I think participating in academic competitions since first grade helped her in these areas. These are definitely not from her mama! Lol

I am not going the Diploma route. But going to rely heavily on you veterans. I looked at omnibus and I like the book selections. Though we are secular, my daughter loves to learn about different cultures and religions. She sees it from a different point of view. With everything going on in the world, I would love for her to learn and respect other religion and cultures as well. She loves reading. Whatever we have done this year, is heavy on literature.

I am wondering if I should try self paced with her or do WTMA Middle Ages.

Do you all think a 6th grader could handle highschool ancients history and literature in Wtma?

We used a mix of Veritas classes and others online and locally, but no Veritas diploma. It's somewhat restrictive, and we had other goals in some areas. As an example, they have only AP Calculus, no other AP classes. And some of their classes are more faith-based than others. We've found their math and Latin classes to be more neutral, but you're going to encounter a young earth viewpoint in science classes and more theology in their Omnibus classes. That said, the quality we've experienced is outstanding.

For research, this board is the best source IMHO. Here we found out about Lukeion and Classic Academic Press for Latin, and then Pennsylvania Homeschoolers for AP classes.

My daughter is graduating in May, and everything is outsourced with her this year except for physics, which I am fine with teaching her. I work full-time, and she thrives on academic challenge, so it's been a good year for her. The outsourced courses she's taking are beyond what I could handle at this point. I am a STEM professor (among other things), and she's planning a liberal arts degree in college. So finding people stronger in that area than I am has been very important.

Veritas doesn't have anyother AP classes? Will their physics 11 and organic chemistry quaint for AP exam?

G5052,

Thanks for the reply. I might sound really really dumb here. But what's young earth viewpoint? I thought science and Math are usually straight forward. Or is it different? I am sorry for such silly questions😰

Not a silly question at all. They don't believe in evolution and believe that the earth is not millions of years old. Some young earth creationists take creation as literally occurring in seven days, and others believe in a slightly longer schedule, but that the earth is still "young."

We are conservative Protestants, but I didn't want science taught entirely from young earth standpoint. I believe that God created the earth and that the Genesis account relates some of the particulars, but not that it is a literal, scientific account. So we didn't use Veritas for science. I taught my own children with a more balanced approach, covering all of the viewpoints.

Not a silly question at all. They don't believe in evolution and believe that the earth is not millions of years old. Some young earth creationists take creation as literally occurring in seven days, and others believe in a slightly longer schedule, but that the earth is still "young."

We are conservative Protestants, but I didn't want science taught entirely from young earth standpoint. I believe that God created the earth and that the Genesis account relates some of the particulars, but not that it is a literal, scientific account. So we didn't use Veritas for science. I taught my own children with a more balanced approach, covering all of the viewpoints.

Oh ok! Thank you! I appreciate it.

Veritas doesn't have anyother AP classes? Will their physics 11 and organic chemistry quaint for AP exam?

They're not oriented towards that. Advanced, yes, but not oriented towards the AP exam. A student would have to study on their own for anything not covered in those classes in terms of depth and any subjects not covered.

We found that taking a specific AP class oriented towards that is more efficient in the long run if your goal is to sit for the exam.

They're not oriented towards that. Advanced, yes, but not oriented towards the AP exam. A student would have to study on their own for anything not covered in those classes in terms of depth and any subjects not covered.

We found that taking a specific AP class oriented towards that is more efficient in the long run if your goal is to sit for the exam.

It makes sense now!

Wilson Hill Academy has a selection of AP courses.

When I was looking for Ap and Veritas press, ended up calling them. They said that all their courses from calculus, chemistry, physics, biology, US history, economy, omnibus prepares the students for AP and beyond. Also the kids are well prepared to take AP exam doing their course. Not sure how true that is. Unless someone took their high school classes and sat for their AP, we wouldn't know. Definite mystery.

When I was looking for Ap and Veritas press, ended up calling them. They said that all their courses from calculus, chemistry, physics, biology, US history, economy, omnibus prepares the students for AP and beyond. Also the kids are well prepared to take AP exam doing their course. Not sure how true that is. Unless someone took their high school classes and sat for their AP, we wouldn't know. Definite mystery.

There have been a handful of companies over the years which make a similar claim. I think where I become concerned is that the AP tests have an extremely specific format and a very specific course of study. It is not necessarily the best or only course of study by a long shot, but it is what they have prioritized. For another provider to just decide that their non-AP course is going to work is difficult for me to swallow. I think VP courses are very well laid out, but if my son is taking an AP course then I am planning on him taking the test and want his chances as high as possible.

There have been a handful of companies over the years which make a similar claim. I think where I become concerned is that the AP tests have an extremely specific format and a very specific course of study. It is not necessarily the best or only course of study by a long shot, but it is what they have prioritized. For another provider to just decide that their non-AP course is going to work is difficult for me to swallow. I think VP courses are very well laid out, but if my son is taking an AP course then I am planning on him taking the test and want his chances as high as possible.

I totally agree with you. I would be scared too.

• Like 1

I agree. I'd rather have a record of performance. Money is tight at our house, and I didn't want to gamble with something requiring so much effort.

Both Lukeion and Pennsylvania Homeschoolers were more than welcome to provide me with their stats on how their students did, and both have many years of producing top performers.

When DS took AP Latin from Lukeion, over half the class got 5's, and Latin is considered one of the toughest APs. To compare, there are three nationally-ranked prep schools in my area in the $30,000+ tuition range.  All three have one or more dedicated Latin teachers and go through AP.  And each has only had a few 5's over many years of offering. I know because they announce that sort of thing in the local paper, and I actually talked to those schools when I was trying to find a place for DS to take it. BTW, none would take him because "homeschoolers are universally below what we teach, and it would distract our students".

For the tests with timed essays, you want a LOT of timed practice and critique with previous prompts. 

• Like 1

I agree. I'd rather have a record of performance. Money is tight at our house, and I didn't want to gamble with something requiring so much effort.

Both Lukeion and Pennsylvania Homeschoolers were more than welcome to provide me with their stats on how their students did, and both have many years of producing top performers.

When DS took AP Latin from Lukeion, over half the class got 5's, and Latin is considered one of the toughest APs. To compare, there are three nationally-ranked prep schools in my area in the $30,000+ tuition range. All three have one or more dedicated Latin teachers and go through AP. And each has only had a few 5's over many years of offering. I know because they announce that sort of thing in the local paper, and I actually talked to those schools when I was trying to find a place for DS to take it. BTW, none would take him because "homeschoolers are universally below what we teach, and it would distract our students".

For the tests with timed essays, you want a LOT of timed practice and critique with previous prompts.

I am so happy that I posted in highschool broad. Thanks to Lori. D. You guys give me wealth of information.

So how would you proceed with a kid who is taking Algebra as a 5th grader. She did Ellen Mchenry chemistry, holt biology, Ellen Botany this year. Did Texas private competitons called PSIA. Always been a state winner for the past 4 years. Did PSAT 8/9 through Duke tip this year and waiting for the results and She wants to do engineering or be in research field in medicine. She is up for any challenge academically. Does horseback riding and fencing. Can I get some guidance from you veterans?

Hi Pistachio Mom,

Thank you so much for the reply. She is great at organization skills and good with studying and taking notes. I think participating in academic competitions since first grade helped her in these areas. These are definitely not from her mama! Lol

I am not going the Diploma route. But going to rely heavily on you veterans. I looked at omnibus and I like the book selections. Though we are secular, my daughter loves to learn about different cultures and religions. She sees it from a different point of view. With everything going on in the world, I would love for her to learn and respect other religion and cultures as well. She loves reading. Whatever we have done this year, is heavy on literature.

I am wondering if I should try self paced with her or do WTMA Middle Ages.

Do you all think a 6th grader could handle highschool ancients history and literature in Wtma?

I have one daughter in self paced Omnibus Medieval History/Lit who is tenth grade. I have another daughter in 5th grade who just started the self paced middle ages.

I recommend you do the free trial opportunity to see the lectures for yourself. Then you can also see the PDF's of the reading schedules. For a rising 6th grader, I definitely would not recommend the Omnibus primary. The secondary might be ok.  The primary lectures deal with lots of history and theology.  The secondary is more literature. Again, the reading assignments are very heavy in Omni. Even though the course is designed for 8th grades, the literature is complex and you have to read at a super fast pace (30 - 60 pages per day - per lecture - and you have 7-8 lectures per week from the the primary and secondary together) To read large chunks of hard theology has been challenging for my daughter. It is hard to take it in. She likes the lectures very much. Another option would be to "audit" a self paced Omni course. Then, you could pick and choose which books you study - adjusting the pace as necessary and even making your own substitutions.

The middle ages self paced for elementary is well done. We are in the end of the first week right now. The upper level reading list is still an adjustment for my 5th grader. She has to read 2 - 4 chapters per day of a literature selection. It is theology, history, church history, map skills all mixed together. The reading selections add in the literature. It would be worth checking out the free trial offer so you can see the lectures for yourself. In the elementary, you can tweek the lit selections. For example, my 5th grader will be reading an abridged Beowulf from our library rather than a translation of the real thing. She can read a translation when she is a few years older.  We do additional geography from Memoria Press.

Your girl sounds very mature in her academic skills. She might find the MA Veritas too simple. You would have to check out the lectures for yourself to know. I also recommend checking Beautiful Feet books for their middle school history through literature. Memoria also has the famous men series which is based on short biographies. You could mix a FM series with a WTM middle ages history. Honestly, you have lots of choices in curriculae or just to do a "homegrown" course too.

Also, Wilson Hill has courses called Great Conversations that take selections from Omnibus and teach just the selections. The pace might be more doable for your girl who will already be studying Geometry at the same time.

http://bfbooks.com/Medieval-Intermediate-Study-Guide?sc=21&category=-121

http://bfbooks.com/Medieval-History-Study-Guide?sc=21&category=-121

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/classical-studies/book-middle-ages/

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/classical-studies/famous-men-middle-ages/#tab-description

https://www.amazon.com/Famous-Renaissance-Reformation-Robert-Shearer/dp/1882514106

FYI: self paced courses in Veritas are busy. You have to make time in your schedule for integrating composition.  I added in comp last year for the Omni-Ancients cycle so to count it as an Honors Credit. It exceeds the requirements in my state compared to the public school honors courses. So, if you do Omnibus self paced, it is really too busy to do much focused composition. We did a lot to earn the Honors credit. If you do a live class, just use the textbook at home, or text along with auditing the self paced lectures, then you would have more time to focus related composition assignments.

Good Luck as you research.  It is worth the time it takes.

Edited by Pistachio mom

I have one daughter in self paced Omnibus Medieval History/Lit who is tenth grade. I have another daughter in 5th grade who just started the self paced middle ages.

I recommend you do the free trial opportunity to see the lectures for yourself. Then you can also see the PDF's of the reading schedules. For a rising 6th grader, I definitely would not recommend the Omnibus primary. The secondary might be ok. The primary lectures deal with lots of history and theology. The secondary is more literature. Again, the reading assignments are very heavy in Omni. Even though the course is designed for 8th grades, the literature is complex and you have to read at a super fast pace (30 - 60 pages per day - per lecture - and you have 7-8 lectures per week from the the primary and secondary together) To read large chunks of hard theology has been challenging for my daughter. It is hard to take it in. She likes the lectures very much. Another option would be to "audit" a self paced Omni course. Then, you could pick and choose which books you study - adjusting the pace as necessary and even making your own substitutions.

The middle ages self paced for elementary is well done. We are in the end of the first week right now. The upper level reading list is still an adjustment for my 5th grader. She has to read 2 - 4 chapters per day of a literature selection. It is theology, history, church history, map skills all mixed together. The reading selections add in the literature. It would be worth checking out the free trial offer so you can see the lectures for yourself. In the elementary, you can tweek the lit selections. For example, my 5th grader will be reading an abridged Beowulf from our library rather than a translation of the real thing. She can read a translation when she is a few years older. We do additional geography from Memoria Press.

Your girl sounds very mature in her academic skills. She might find the MA Veritas too simple. You would have to check out the lectures for yourself to know. I also recommend checking Beautiful Feet books for their middle school history through literature. Memoria also has the famous men series which is based on short biographies. You could mix a FM series with a WTM middle ages history. Honestly, you have lots of choices in curriculae or just to do a "homegrown" course too.

Also, Wilson Hill has courses called Great Conversations that take selections from Omnibus and teach just the selections. The pace might be more doable for your girl who will already be studying Geometry at the same time.

http://bfbooks.com/Medieval-Intermediate-Study-Guide?sc=21&category=-121

http://bfbooks.com/Medieval-History-Study-Guide?sc=21&category=-121

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/classical-studies/book-middle-ages/

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/classical-studies/famous-men-middle-ages/#tab-description

https://www.amazon.com/Famous-Renaissance-Reformation-Robert-Shearer/dp/1882514106

FYI: self paced courses in Veritas are busy. You have to make time in your schedule for integrating composition. I added in comp last year for the Omni-Ancients cycle so to count it as an Honors Credit. It exceeds the requirements in my state compared to the public school honors courses. So, if you do Omnibus self paced, it is really too busy to do much focused composition. We did a lot to earn the Honors credit. If you do a live class, just use the textbook at home, or text along with auditing the self paced lectures, then you would have more time to focus related composition assignments.

Good Luck as you research. It is worth the time it takes.

Thanks a bunch! All great resources. You guys are overwhelming with so much information that I can hardly sleep and keep researching.