Menu

Has anyone NOT used a formal handwriting program?

mo2

I started off using a program with my older children but have really phased that out and now just teach them by using copywork. I have them copy examples of writing, then if they have any problems with joins or letter shapes I will just target that area and have them practise it. This works for us.

HTH

But now that he knows cursive, we are not using a handwriting program. Just copywork and dictation (he has to use cursive now for nearly all his writing).

For ds#2, whom i just started with his K program, we did 2 sheets from RFH when I dropped it. We're going through the preETC books, and we'll add in some copywork and dication, too, so I don't know if I'll ever use the rest of the K program.

I have Startwrite, and it really a great program. I use it to make all sorts of notebooking pages and copywork pages.

I'm not using one for my 6 yo.She does copywork instead.I did use several handwriting programs with my oldest dd (Getty-dubay & HWOT) and her handwriting ranges from atrocious to just legible.When she was younger she would cry,saying that it made her hand hurt when she wrote so I let her do alot of her work orally and in a way I regret that now because her handwriting is so poor.She prefers to type her written work on the computer when I have her write papers for school.The 6 yo doesn't complain about writing the way her sister did.

I've started using the ideas from Cursive First with my left-handed, just want to play, ds8. He is not complaining! We made the salt box and it was an instant hit. The clock idea is genius. My dd10 is jealous - she didn't get to learn that way. It is one of my best purchases. I'm not using the worksheets, just the ideas, and incorporating my own way. It's even helping my handwriting.