Menu

Favorite Geography Curriculum for Middle School?

Maryam

Previously, we did map drills on Seterra, in addition to locating places on a map that we find in our readings (across all subjects). We are currently reading Book of Marvels and bounce around on the map with respect to each chapter. We also do a bit of AO, so we've tried living books (Book of Marvels is one) and right now we're starting Long's Geography (Free online) and I'm putting together a list of youtube videos to supplement those reading topics. Videos and geography go well together, IMO. 

Today I was debating on ordering Evan Moor's Daily Geography, or a gently used copy of Maps, Globes, and Graphs. The former is about $22-$29 dollars I think, and I have been able to find Maps, Globes, and Graphs for under $15 a few times. 

When I was little my dad carried around so many maps and atlases in the car, as well as on our bookshelves, and I just gravitated toward them. I'm thinking of putting some more out like coffee table books and see what happens, naturally.  ;)

We use the Geography Coloring Book recomended in WTM. And we make our own maps and find places on the globe, etc. Today I had them draw a large scale map of the Mediterranean area and Roman Empire and label seas, rivers, provinces, etc. on their own as opposed to filling in a map. The GCB has current social studies info on every area like about their economy and agriculture and populations. It covers physical maps, political maps, flags, some historical maps, geography terms. They have a lot packed into them.

• Like 1

We like the Trail Guides to World & US Geography for 5th-8th. We spread World Geography out over 2 years (in 5th & 6th) while we cover ancient & medieval world history, then do US Geography in 1 year while we cover modern history (8th). By 8th grade it's no problem to do the whole thing in 1 year.

In 7th we don't do geography at all because we include some civics/government lessons while we study the US Revolutionary War period.

• Like 1