Menu

Help with this sentence please

Dd wrote this sentence about playing hide and seek with our dog.  

After about five to ten minutes, he will hopefully have found you and when he does find you, he will practically pee his pants he's so happy.

I can't decide if the punctuation is correct as she has it written.  What are your thoughts?  

It's definitely a run-on.

"And" is not strong enough to separate 2 complete thoughts (independent clauses - AKA "things that can be sentences by themselves"); it's a coordinating conjunction and requires a comma WITH the conjunction to separate independent clauses.

Other three options are a semicolon, making it 2 complete sentences, or re-wording it altogether to make it more concise (and not require as many commas).

After about five to ten minutes, he will hopefully have found you and when he does find you, he will practically pee his pants he's so happy.

I can't decide if the punctuation is correct as she has it written.  What are your thoughts?  

It doesn't work as is. To just add punctuation (plus one word -- "because"), one could change it to read, "After about five to ten minutes, he will hopefully have found you. When he does find you, he will practically pee his pants, because he's so happy."

However, it is still a weak expression of thought. I would work on making the whole thing more concise. Remove unnecessary words (such as "about" at the beginning of the sentence). Edit the word choices to remove repetition ("he will hopefully have found you. When he does find you" is repetitive). Choose stronger action verbs.

Without a context for the writing assignment, it is hard to give more ideas, but think beyond punctuation alone as you edit. Hope that helps!

Edited by Storygirl

My take:

It's not a run-on.

It's correctly punctuated. 
BUT, the "he's so happy" is awkward/incorrect because it changes the verb tense of the sentence. 

Without the apostrophe:

...he will practically pee his pants (a colloquialism that you can count as correct or not) because he [is] so happy."

It should read "he will practically pee his pants (if you allow the colloquialism) because he WILL be so happy" OR "he'll be so happy."

My take:

It's not a run-on.

It's correctly punctuated.

BUT, the "he's so happy" is awkward/incorrect because it changes the verb tense of the sentence.

Without the apostrophe:

...he will practically pee his pants (a colloquialism that you can count as correct or not) because he [is] so happy."

It should read "he will practically pee his pants (if you allow the colloquialism) because he WILL be so happy" OR "he'll be so happy."

I agree, the verb tenses don't match. Cleaning up the tenses will make the sentence less awkward.

I can't decide if the punctuation is correct as she has it written. What are your thoughts?

I think I'd also separate it into two sentences. "He will have found you" is the future perfect tense (something that is completed in the future) while the rest of it is future tense (if you change "he's so happy" to "he will be so happy"). It makes sense to me to have the sentence about something that will be complete separate from future actions and feelings. I'd also be tempted to add a comma and the word because... "because he will be so happy" Edited by TKDmom

When I read the sentence, I see a rambling sentence. The sentence has a long introductory phrase followed by *four* clauses.

[After about five to ten minutes,] [he will hopefully have found you] and [when he does find you], [he will practically pee his pants] [he's so happy.]

You can change the punctuation and verb tense as others have suggested, but the sentence would still ramble. Separating the sentence into two is the simpliest way to break the rambling. Perhaps this change is your DD's instructional level. However, she might be ready to try another revision tactic.

While multiple clauses one after the other is normal in casual conversation, converting some clauses to phrases can tighten up a written sentence and make it sound more mature. The resulting sentences are also usually easier to punctuate.

- After five to ten minutes, he will hopefully have found you, practicallying peeing his pants with happiness.

- After hopefully finding you in five to ten minutes, he will practically pee his pants from happiness.

- Upon finding you in five to ten minutes, he will be so happy, practically peeing his pants.

- He will hopefully find you in five to ten minutes, practically peeing his pants with happiness.

Changing clauses to phrases also has a way of emphasizing some ideas more than others. When all the ideas are in clauses, they all tend to get equal importance. When you use phrases, some ideas jump out more than others.

• Like 1