Menu

Confused about hemming pants with a cut edge...

PeterPan

I got these Anne Klein polyester/elastane blend wide leg, really drapey dress pants to wear to my brother's wedding, and I seriously need to hem them. So I put on my heels, have dh pin at 1/2" off the floor, and then go to look and realize they're a CUT edge instead of turned up or rolled or blind or anything!  :crying:  So now I'm scared, because there's no going back. If I cut these, will they fray? It's really thick, sturdy material. The side seams are sewn and finished to make sure they don't come undone, so I would reinforce the side seams at the new end point. 

So for the actual hem, do I literally just cut? Has anybody done this before? I thought I might make a try at a lower length, just to see what happens... Feeling nervous here!

If they're cut now, you should be able to tell if the cut edge will fray.

I would cut about an inch below your hem line, finish the bottom edge with an overlock or zigzag and hand sew a single fold hem.  In general, I would be hesitant to wear a garment with a raw cut hem to a formal event (but that's just me).

• Like 3

I would cut about an inch below your hem line, finish the bottom edge with an overlock or zigzag and hand sew a single fold hem. In general, I would be hesitant to wear a garment with a raw cut hem to a formal event (but that's just me).

This is what I do all the time. I'm short and often have to shorten pants by cutting length off.

• Like 3

I think it's because of the type of fabric they were, that it's sort of drapey and doesn't fray or roll. I agree, hemming pants where they weren't designed to be hemmed would make a problem. I went ahead and cut them. Since they just have to be for this one event, guess I'm just hoping I don't leave little threads all over, hehe. But they looked fine. I kind of blew them, and they looked fine. I'm just not messing a lot with the edge, lest I find out they're not.

I think it's because of the type of fabric they were, that it's sort of drapey and doesn't fray or roll. I agree, hemming pants where they weren't designed to be hemmed would make a problem. I went ahead and cut them. Since they just have to be for this one event, guess I'm just hoping I don't leave little threads all over, hehe. But they looked fine. I kind of blew them, and they looked fine. I'm just not messing a lot with the edge, lest I find out they're not.

If you are not going to hem them, you might want to secure the edges of the side seams with a couple of stitches so the seam doesn't unravel and separate.

• Like 2

If the fabric is a dark color, you could run a thin bead of Fray Check along the cut edge to keep it from fraying.  Test in an inconspicuous spot first though.  It's clear, but on some fabrics, it dries slightly darker than fabric.  Also, it does stiffen the fabric, so you may want to run the bead right next to the edge, but not at the edge, to keep the roughness from tickling your foot.  

Never heard of Fray Check?  You can get it at JoAnn's:

http://www.joann.com/prym-dritz-fray-check-sealant/1052851.html#q=fray%2Bcheck&start=3

If the fabric is a dark color, you could run a thin bead of Fray Check along the cut edge to keep it from fraying. Test in an inconspicuous spot first though. It's clear, but on some fabrics, it dries slightly darker than fabric. Also, it does stiffen the fabric, so you may want to run the bead right next to the edge, but not at the edge, to keep the roughness from tickling your foot.

Never heard of Fray Check? You can get it at JoAnn's:

http://www.joann.com/prym-dritz-fray-check-sealant/1052851.html#q=fray%2Bcheck&start=3

I've had it dry white on dark polyester fabric. 😠
  • Like 1