Menu

Ok, so what options are out there for high school physics?

One of my boys did Derek Owens and loved it. We did the half price option with me doing all the support and grading (he supplies the answers). It worked great for self-study.

Julie - I never knew this was an option?  Wish I had known earlier!  My son NEVER has had to ask for help after using his courses for 4 yrs!  But with my middle son will probably keep as it is.  :-P  Did you just have to ask?  Curious how this worked or if he still offers?

• Like 1

Julie - I never knew this was an option?  Wish I had known earlier!  My son NEVER has had to ask for help after using his courses for 4 yrs!  But with my middle son will probably keep as it is.  :-P  Did you just have to ask?  Curious how this worked or if he still offers?

I heard about it here and just emailed and asked. He told me how to request it and then just sent all the solutions after I registered. We have access to all the videos, homework, and tests. I do the grading and answering questions.

Yes, he still offers as we are currently doing it. 

• Like 3

My thought is to do some sort of course to make the course later on easier.  It is possible he'll be done after next year though.  So that's part of it.

I think the ultimate test now will see how he does in Calc 1.  If he pulls that off I don't think I'll have any worries.  Although I say that...I'll always have worries!  LOL

My thought is to do some sort of course to make the course later on easier.  It is possible he'll be done after next year though.  So that's part of it.

I think the ultimate test now will see how he does in Calc 1.  If he pulls that off I don't think I'll have any worries.  Although I say that...I'll always have worries!  LOL

Has your student taken any HS level Physics?

if not, IMHO Calc based College Physics (aka University Physics) wouldn't be the best plan forward no matter how he does in Calculus.  Some kind of course stressing concepts and their relations should go first otherwise you end up in the "formula trap"  (just give me the formula to memorize).

• Like 1

Has your student taken any HS level Physics?

if not, IMHO Calc based College Physics (aka University Physics) wouldn't be the best plan forward no matter how he does in Calculus.  Some kind of course stressing concepts and their relations should go first otherwise you end up in the "formula trap"  (just give me the formula to memorize).

Well that and it seems like it might take the fun out of it.

My dd did the Clover Creek course with Jetta. It was fantastic. I'm not a physics teacher but I'm pretty sure that Jetta's course is more than just conceptual physics although she does use that text. She adds so much more to it though, and I'm pretty sure someone said that the math in her course is Algebra based. It was a wonderful course and I'm definitely having my youngest daughter do it too. 

• Like 3