Menu

Rod and Staff or Saxon 8/7 for Pre-Algebra?

ALB

We have really enjoyed Rod and Staff math so far.  This year dd will finish the 6th grade book and I'm on the fence about whether to continue with 7 next year, or switch to Saxon 8/7 for pre-algebra.  She really wants to try to do Algebra in 7th because her cousins have all done that and the schools in our area are going more and more in that direction.  

Does anyone have experience switching from R&S to Saxon somewhere around this level?  Obviously, this option also depends on how she finishes this year.  If she begins to struggle with the material, I'll take that as a clue that we should stick with R&S for 7 and 8.

We have really enjoyed Rod and Staff math so far.  This year dd will finish the 6th grade book and I'm on the fence about whether to continue with 7 next year, or switch to Saxon 8/7 for pre-algebra.  She really wants to try to do Algebra in 7th because her cousins have all done that and the schools in our area are going more and more in that direction.  

Does anyone have experience switching from R&S to Saxon somewhere around this level?  Obviously, this option also depends on how she finishes this year.  If she begins to struggle with the material, I'll take that as a clue that we should stick with R&S for 7 and 8.

If you're going to do Saxon for algebra, then now would be the time to make the change, although you should have your dd do the placement test to be sure whether she should do Math 87 or Alg. 1/2.

I have read of people whose children finished R&S's 8th grade math and going into algebra, but not from 7th.

Personally, I don't understand why children who are just 12ish should be doing algebra, but that's just me. :-)

• Like 3

My dd is doing Saxon 87 this year. It's her first year with Saxon but she was previously in a private school (overseas). I can't say much about the transition from R&S but she is doing very well in it. The drills and review have provided her with a strong foundation I believe. Perhaps you can give her the placement test on Saxon's website? You may also want to consider Derek Owens and if you do, he may be able to provide a placement test as well. We'll probably switch over to DO from Algebra onwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The schools here are all doing Algebra in 7th grade now too, which then doesn't count for high school credits. So they start their high school credits in 8th with geometry. And then do 4 years of higher maths on top of that in high school. They now do this with almost any student that is capable of it, whether they have an interest in math or not. And then some end up not being able to write a decipherable paragraph, outline, essay, or even sentence because the focus has been so much on the maths. The schools just really push STEM on everyone who is capable. 

My only experience so far is that my oldest did R&S through the 8th grade then switched to Alg. I. We originally did R&S a year ahead, so 1st grade math in K, 2nd in 1st, and so forth with the plan of her doing Alg. I in 8th. I was actually glad to have that wiggle room, because when she hit any problems in math it gave us some time to slow down and master it. So she started Alg at the end of 8th grade, has taken a full year and will finish Alg. for 9th grade. We had no trouble going from R&S to Alg. She was prepared after 8, but we did have some adjustment with the new format of our book (Lial's) after R&S. I think the issues were truly just her own. She was used to self teaching w/R&S by the end, and the new book has a different format. She gets set in her ways of doing things.  I did at one point test her into Saxon a few years ago to see if she was on par with their curric, and she did test right into where she should have. So going between the two wouldn't have been a problem. I think that was around the grade 6 or 7 book when I did that. 

With my next child, we will just finish R&S through 8 as well just because it works for us, and I am not pushing the early math.

• Like 4

Yeah, I'm not so sure I'm sold on the early math either.  But she can do it, and wants to do it, and most other students here are doing it... not that I particularly care what others are doing.  

Maybe we'll start Saxon 8/7 but take it slow and possibly even stretch it over 2 years if it is too much.  I kinda hate to leave R&S because we've used it with such success.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not so sure I'm sold on the early math either.  But she can do it, and wants to do it, and most other students here are doing it... not that I particularly care what others are doing.  

Maybe we'll start Saxon 8/7 but take it slow and possibly even stretch it over 2 years if it is too much.  I kinda hate to leave R&S because we've used it with such success.  

Has she taken the Saxon placement test? You want to be sure that she does so you'll know whether to place her in Math 87 or Alg. 1/2.

This may not be useful, esp. if you know that you want to use Saxon in the upper years, but Memoria Press schedules Rod & Staff arithmetic through 6, then does a year of prealgebra (they have plans &c for College of the Redwoods Prealgebra).  After that they go to Prentice Hall's Classic Algebra text. 

You can find a "sample" of the College of the Redwoods Prealgebra book here; I _think_ it gives you the whole text. 

The Memoria Press math sequence is (they are working to develop the upper levels -- so far they are getting it out a year at a time quite reliably):

Rod & Staff Arithmetic 1 - 6

College of the Redwoods Prealgebra

Prentice Hall Classics Algebra

Prentice Hall Classics Algebra II

Geometry (Houghton Mifflin text)

We have not done this ourselves, partly b/c we began using MP materials too late for my older child to do this (this week I hope to begin placing him in the upper level math), but it is an option for which there is a good deal of support: there are the MP lesson plans & folks on their forum can help with troubleshooting/placement, and if you keep going in the MP math sequence sequence there is DVD/streaming teaching support for the Algebra, with plans to provide video support for higher levels in future years.

Edited by serendipitous journey

Personally, I don't understand why children who are just 12ish should be doing algebra, but that's just me. :-)

Nope, not just you. I don't get it, either. Tired of the "we must do it better and faster" push. They will learn as they will learn. Let them be solid in their basic facts before advancing already! (Gets down off of soapbox. . .)

Nope, not just you. I don't get it, either. Tired of the "we must do it better and faster" push. They will learn as they will learn. Let them be solid in their basic facts before advancing already! (Gets down off of soapbox. . .)

I agree that children shouldn't be rushed headlong into upper math.  However, the "they will learn as they will learn" route may bring them to algebra earlier than standard. 

Also, in our case my older needs the conceptual challenge of upper level maths in order to stay engaged with math and not turn off entirely; however, the sweet fellow is a handful and a half to teach and _I_ need a structured program to move him through.   He is actually why I've been pretty much off the boards for the last year or so; what it is taking to keep him thriving is a mix of drill-and-kill (think Rod & Staff!) and conceptual challenge (higher maths) that doesn't make sense and that draws fire.  :) 

The OPs child may or may not do well moving into algebra by 7th; but there straightforward routes for the OP to consider toward this goal, and she can see if her child thrives on such a path or not ...

Me, too, and I did it with my oldest! Now I'm stuck with an 11th grader in Calculus who is sick of math. I SOOO wish we'd slowed down.  We need to figure out one more year. . . .

• Like 1

Me, too, and I did it with my oldest! Now I'm stuck with an 11th grader in Calculus who is sick of math. I SOOO wish we'd slowed down.  We need to figure out one more year. . . .

I'm sorry your 11th grader is feeling so done with math! 

I hope this isn't too far OT ... looking back, can you see things that would warn you off that path -- to indicate that the child would burn out? 

ETA: OT, I was thinking about all this.  It occurs to me that calling Saxon about placing the child to take algebra in 7th, and/or talking with the people at Rainbow Resource, might be useful.  Saxon really wants you to succeed with their materials, I am sure, and has a knowledge base about what works.  The RR folks have seen a lot, too, and have given me useful perspectives. 

It is a good question, what your 11th & 12th lineup looks like for 7th Algebra.  Maybe you could have an option for a year of statistics, which can be a refreshing change, if the child wants some sort of break then ...

Edited by serendipitous journey

That's a good idea about calling for advice.  We have used a lot of MP and like it, but I'm leaning towards Saxon since I know so many people who use it, thus have a built in support system for that.  Prentice Hall looks good, too, but I'd heard that there are only answers available for the odd problems, and that sounds difficult to navigate.

• Like 1

That's a good idea about calling for advice.  We have used a lot of MP and like it, but I'm leaning towards Saxon since I know so many people who use it, thus have a built in support system for that.  Prentice Hall looks good, too, but I'd heard that there are only answers available for the odd problems, and that sounds difficult to navigate.

You are right about answers only for the odd problems, and there have definitely been complaints about that on the MP forums.  I can see that it would be a great benefit to use the same program as others you know!

• 7 years later...