Menu

Kahn Academy

Night Elf

Is anyone familiar with this site? The videos won't work for me. Any ideas? Is it them or me? I tried looking up help and it says to be sure I have the bandwidth and make sure I'm using an acceptable updated browser. I have both of those. I can do the math problems but I can't watch the videos to explain a concept to me making the program useless.

• Like 1

We use that site all the time without issue. That's weird. I'm going to probably frustrate you, but IT 101 is to always reboot your computer first thing. I would try that and reboot your router too at the same time. Give it 15 minutes to all come back up and try again. If that doesn't work, do you have a firewall you're trying to work through?

The videos were working for a while but now they're having trouble buffering. Restarting my browser isn't working. I'm using Firefox on a Windows 8.1. Restarting the computer worked this morning but I'm not going to restart my computer multiple times a day. I didn't want to pay for a math program but I want to brush up on math.

• Like 1

have you cleaned your cookies?  or reset your playback speed so it's not as high a quality - but will play?

You tube videos are working. I haven't cleared my cookies but would I really need to do that after so many videos have played already? I must have watched 6 with no problems then they stopped working. I don't want to clear my cookies once an hour!

Well wait, ETA, that my you tube video stopped in the middle of it and started to buffer. This is frustrating. I've never had this problem before today. I'll see if I can figure out how to clear cookies.

Edited by Night Elf
  • Like 1

Clearing cookies didn't help. It's still having buffering problems. That sounds like a problem with my internet, right? I'm not having any problems with my internet though. I'll have DH look into it when he gets home from work. I have no idea how to do any of that stuff.

• Like 1

The videos aren't working in Internet Explorer either. *sigh*

I suggest that you do not use Internet Explorer, except for "Windows Update".  It must be installed, or Windows Update will not work. I use Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. My DD has a Windows 8.1 laptop and she does not have any problems with it. She says it is as stable as her Windows 7 laptop, which is more powerful. The issue may also be that your ADSL/Cable Modem Router is overrunning and a buffer/cache there is getting overloaded. We have that problem sometimes, because we have TV over IP.  Also, sometimes our Line Speed drops. I check with SpeakEast.Net/SpeedTest and I check against their servers in two (2) cities. Washington DC and New York City. Sometimes, the Line Speed to one city is OK, but to the other city, much slower. If there is an issue, I turn off our ADSL Modem for 30+ seconds and reboot it.  That usually fixes things.

I just read that you are using Firefox.  I normally use Google Chrome, but I have Mozilla Firefox installed, so I can use the "Firebug" plug in to develop a WordPress site.  After I updated to the latest version of Firefox a couple of days ago, I had to get a new version of the Adobe Flash Plug in. I think that's what it was.   I am in Chrome, but I just launched Firefox. I can watch this YouTube video without any issues, on Firefox:  

We are in a large rural subdivision, where the infrastructure is very old. Our ADSL Line Speed is only 2 Mbps.  Your issue may be on your machine or it may be in your ADSL/Cable Modem Router or with your provider.  

SUGGESTION:  Try the same video(s) on Khan Academy, but on another machine.  If it works OK on the other machine, when your Windows 8.1 machine is having issues, the problem is on your Windows 8.1 machine.  If not, the problem is not in your machine. Try to isolate the issue. 

Clearing cookies didn't help. It's still having buffering problems. That sounds like a problem with my internet, right? I'm not having any problems with my internet though. I'll have DH look into it when he gets home from work. I have no idea how to do any of that stuff.

Coming in late to the game and you may have already dealt with this, but I think the buffering sounds like an internet issue. I'd unplug my router and cables and leave it off a minute or two then hook everything back up and restart it all. If that didn't work, and I was still having issues, I'd call my service provider and see if there was trouble in the area.

I can't do anything with the router until dinner time. It's in ds's room and he sleeps all day because he works all night. But I appreciate all the feedback. I have AT&T UVerse which connects internet, tv and phone. I'm not having any trouble except trying to watch videos. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll table this until DH gets home.

You tube videos are working. I haven't cleared my cookies but would I really need to do that after so many videos have played already? I must have watched 6 with no problems then they stopped working. I don't want to clear my cookies once an hour!

Set your Firefox cache size bigger. Then more videos can stay in cache before it runs out of space.

Link is to how to change cache size https://www.cs.uic.edu/~consult/how/firefox-cache.html

Buffering does sound more like internet issues though. If you watch more than 6 non-Khan YouTube videos, do you still get a buffering problem? Because Khan video server could be overloaded when you were accessing.