Menu

Middle school literature curriculum

Tink123

I am searching for a secular middle school literature curriculum that I can use for my 11 & 13 yo daughters together. In the past they have chosen books and written book reports about them but it's getting boring so I'm hoping to find a curriculum that focuses on discussion with some writing. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

• Like 1

Moving Beyond the Page is what we use.

This is what I use as well. Each unit takes 3 weeks, and nearly all of those use one novel. There are units for research projects, poetry collections, and short story anthologies too. Many assignments have two levels - one easier or with more support, and one harder or more independent. That would make it easy to combine your kids. I would look at the 10-12 level (includes The Giver, Roll of Thunder, Number the Stars, Tuck Everlasting, Esperanza Rising, etc.) and 11-13 (includes The Hobbit, A Girl Named Disaster, The Pearl, A Single Shard, etc.)

There are discussion questions for each day's reading, grammar and writing exercises throughout the unit (and a final essay or project at the end of each unit), and crafty activities. I skip the crafts but love the rest.

We just read books and short stories and discuss them. I often use the Glencoe lit guides to get them to think about it ahead of time but then we just sit down to a poetry tea and talk about it.

If I had to buy something, it would probably be Mosdos, but I like making my own list.

I am searching for a secular middle school literature curriculum that I can use for my 11 & 13 yo daughters together. In the past they have chosen books and written book reports about them but it's getting boring so I'm hoping to find a curriculum that focuses on discussion with some writing. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Teaching the Classics sounds exactly like what you want. You still pick the books though, but that's how we like it. Whole books, great discussion, fodder for writing assignments.

• Like 1