Menu

IEW- what after swi A?

My4arrows

After SWI-A, my kids did SICC-A, and we spread it out over 2 years.   Then we did theme books after that.   The theme books do repeat the same sequence of instruction, using different source material, and potentially requiring more output depending upon the one you choose.   I don't remember all of the content of the SICC, but I don't remember it being redundant.

It's the continuation course. Student Writing Intensive Continuation Course. It's the next in sequence after IEW-SWI. There's a SICC for each level A, B, C to pair with SWI levels A, B, C.

Here's their progression chart for the various paths you can take. http://iew.com/sites/default/files/page/fileattachment/IEW_2016_Pathway.pdf

I wouldn't skip SICC-A. I tried that with one of my kids, but later I realized that he missed some important instruction.

If I have twss can I watch that myself and then skip sicc?

Is there anywhere that gives a scope and sequence to know if I would hav pe the skills to teach it on my own?

If I have twss can I watch that myself and then skip sicc?

Is there anywhere that gives a scope and sequence to know if I would hav pe the skills to teach it on my own?

TWSS is the first writing course.  It is the core.  TWSS is the version that you would watch and then teach yourself.  SWI is the version where Pudewa teaches the course and you act as facilitator.  SWI does not cover everything that TWSS does, but it covers the bulk of it.  They are essentially the same, though.  

Once TWSS/SWI is complete, you can repeat it all again with more advanced writing material you select yourself (which some do if they started the program with a young student) or you can move on to the next level, which is SICC (the Student Intensive Continuation Course).  Just like with TWSS/SWI there are levels based on age appropriate and developmentally appropriate material (A for elementary, B for middle school, C for High School).  

SICC goes into more depth and breadth than TWSS, as I understand it.  I don't know where there might be a scope and sequence to see if just using TWSS you could create your own sort of SICC type course or not.

TWSS is the first writing course. It is the core. TWSS is the version that you would watch and then teach yourself. SWI is the version where Pudewa teaches the course and you act as facilitator. SWI does not cover everything that TWSS does, but it covers the bulk of it. They are essentially the same, though.

Once TWSS/SWI is complete, you can repeat it all again with more advanced writing material you select yourself (which some do if they started the program with a young student) or you can move on to the next level, which is SICC (the Student Intensive Continuation Course). Just like with TWSS/SWI there are levels based on age appropriate and developmentally appropriate material (A for elementary, B for middle school, C for High School).

SICC goes into more depth and breadth than TWSS, as I understand it. I don't know where there might be a scope and sequence to see if just using TWSS you could create your own sort of SICC type course or not.

Thanks! That helps a lot. Had I known that I wouldn't have purchased TWSS too. Oh well I guess we move on to SICC next year then.

Well a lot of people find having both TWSS and SWI quite helpful and TWSS can still be helpful once you move on to SICC. Have you watched TWSS all the way through? If not I recommend it before starting SICC. Not strictly necessary but helpful.

I am working my way through it and yes there have been things I've learned. But for some reason I was under the impression, I wouldn't need to buy additional dvd programs if I had TWSS so that's what is throwing me off. I do plan on finishing TWSS and we will just move on to SICC when finished!

• Like 1

I am working my way through it and yes there have been things I've learned. But for some reason I was under the impression, I wouldn't need to buy additional dvd programs if I had TWSS so that's what is throwing me off. I do plan on finishing TWSS and we will just move on to SICC when finished!

Oh, I see.  Probably the confusion comes from the fact that TWSS is the primary program.  A lot of people use only that (or SWI) then jump ship to something else.  Not everyone goes on to use SICC, even though it has a really good reputation.  Best wishes.

• Like 1

At the convention I was told by the sales rep there that you have 3 choices after SWI. She basically said that after doing SWI you'd pretty much know which option was more your style, but all 3 of the options will get you there.

1.  If you like Andrew teaching your kids instead of you doing it yourself, continue with SICC.

2.  If you feel confident going forward on your own and feel you have a good grasp of the program and want to create your own lessons, the skills you get from TWSS are all you need.

3.  Doing a theme based book is kind of a hybrid between the first two options, where you do the teaching according to the skills you learn from the TWSS but the lesson planning is done for you.

• Like 1

At the convention I was told by the sales rep there that you have 3 choices after SWI. She basically said that after doing SWI you'd pretty much know which option was more your style, but all 3 of the options will get you there.

1.  If you like Andrew teaching your kids instead of you doing it yourself, continue with SICC.

2.  If you feel confident going forward on your own and feel you have a good grasp of the program and want to create your own lessons, the skills you get from TWSS are all you need.

3.  Doing a theme based book is kind of a hybrid between the first two options, where you do the teaching according to the skills you learn from the TWSS but the lesson planning is done for you.

This ^^^  is my understanding as well.

We did SWI-A and are now working through SICC-A. I am trying to decide if we will move on to SICC-B next year or try a theme based book.

• Like 1

1. If you like Andrew teaching your kids instead of you doing it yourself, continue with SICC.

2. If you feel confident going forward on your own and feel you have a good grasp of the program and want to create your own lessons, the skills you get from TWSS are all you need.

3. Doing a theme based book is kind of a hybrid between the first two options, where you do the teaching according to the skills you learn from the TWSS but the lesson planning is done for you.

Yes, I agree with this, too.

• Like 1