Menu

First Semester Completed

kewb

Ds has completed his first semester at college.  He had numerous challenges this semester.  Brainstorming for ideas on what to do to make next semester run smoother.

His executive function challenges are what did him in.  Mostly task management combined with his avoidance behavior.

He did great in most of his classes but seriously dropped the ball in one of them.  He was borrowing from Peter to pay Paul and it snowballed from there.

Things that worked when he was home were his whiteboard of tasks combined with his calendar. That in your face on the wall thing helped him.

No white board in his dorm room.  Really no wall space for it and the walls are cinderblock so difficult to write on.  I want to look into bullet journaling.

He spoke with his advisor and they decided it would be a good idea for him to only take 12 credits this semester to work on his transition.  Any thoughts on things to work on to help next semester go more smoothly?

I have one with a similar challenge that relies on a white board. The monthly calendar one works best for her. I would find a place to hang one. Maybe hang it on the closet/cupboard door, the room door, the side of the desk, attach it to the window with suction cups, hang it on the foot of the bed, the back of the chair, use magnets if there's anything magnetic in the room, etc. She also uses a phone app for lots of daily reminders.

Things that worked when he was home were his whiteboard of tasks combined with his calendar. That in your face on the wall thing helped him.

No white board in his dorm room.  Really no wall space for it and the walls are cinderblock so difficult to write on. 

Can he mimic the whiteboard with post-it notes?  There's a certain satisfaction in removing and throwing away ones when you've completed the tasks written on them.

• Like 1

Whiteboard on the back of the door? In the bathroom? Over his bed? 

Or mimic one by a sheet on the front of a binder?

White butcher paper on his desk so it's in his face when he works?

Has he contacted student counseling and asked for suggestions? They must have tons of students like this.

Is he using academic assistance available for his classes? He should schedule these into his schedule.

• Like 3

Whiteboard on the back of the door? In the bathroom? Over his bed? 

Or mimic one by a sheet on the front of a binder?

White butcher paper on his desk so it's in his face when he works?

Has he contacted student counseling and asked for suggestions? They must have tons of students like this.

Is he using academic assistance available for his classes? He should schedule these into his schedule.

I second the recommendation for contacting academic services to see what assistance he can get.  When K was at school and struggling with executive function due to mental illness and the corresponding "dullness" brought on by meds, they had a weekly appointment with an academic coach to go over all the assignments and create project plans, assign due dates and task lists, basically all the things I would help my kids do whenever they got overwhelmed.  This was very helpful.  But, it only works if the student continues with it.  K's mental health problems proved to be too big to keep this up long term. 

Thanks for all the suggestions.

For the 2nd half of the semester he finally admitted to needing help and started getting it weekly. Office hours, studying/scheduling assistance, etc. He plans to continue this immediately when he returns next month.

Definitely like the post it notes idea. It is satisfying to throw away completed tasks.

Hallway shared bathroom so that is not a usable location. The rooms mirror is screwed on the back of the door and the closet is a wardrobe with very narrow doors. But, might be able to make something work there.

My dd (she's a 2E kid) does up a "semester at a glance" thing on one sheet of regular sized paper. She uses this site http://www.pdfcalendar.com/12-weeks/

You put in how many weeks your semester is, when the start date is & it generates a calendar that fits on one page. 

By the end of the first week of classes, she pulls out the syllabuses from all the classes & enters EVERY assignment that is for points/handing in on this one sheet of paper. The boxes are small so she uses very fine pens (staedtler triplus fineliners) & a color code for the various classes.

But every midterm, assignment, essay, project goes on this one sheet of paper. 

She has a copy in a plastic sheet protector tacked to her wall near where she works, & a copy in a page protector at the front of every binder or in the clear cover in those binders that have the clear plastic on the front. 

Separately she uses a weekly dayplanner notebook where she plans out prep, studying, readings which will be required for that week & the next. 

Is your ds also having problems with procrastinating on the computer or his phone? The app Cold Turkey or Rescue Time for your computer work great. My dd "cold turkeys" her computer during exams.  She hasn't needed to do her phone but that's mostly because she puts her phone across the room and she's fairly self disciplined. There are apps for your phone as well.  Forest is a neat one. 

• Like 2

I am not sure if it would help, but we have used some self stick white board materials at home similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Pacon-GoWrite-Erase-Self-Adhesive-AR1820/dp/B000F8XDXI

I am sure this isn't the one we purchased, but I have been requested not to check previous Amazon orders at this time of year:)

If he couldn't self stick, maybe he could place holes in it and hang using approved hooks or something. We have a huge file cabinet, that our is stuck on, so I can't speak to how easily it comes off.

Sounds like he has a great plan for next semester!

Edited by Silver Brook

I am not sure if it would help, but we have used some self stick white board materials at home similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Pacon-GoWrite-Erase-Self-Adhesive-AR1820/dp/B000F8XDXI

I am sure this isn't the one we purchased, but I have been requested not to check previous Amazon orders at this time of year:)

If he couldn't self stick, maybe he could place holes in it and hang using approved hooks or something. We have a huge file cabinet, that our is stuck on, so I can't speak to how easily it comes off.

Sounds like he has a great plan for next semester!

This is what we use in his room at home. Love the stick on white boards. No good place to hang in his door room where it is easy to write on and in his face.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's something within iOS that prevents many of these productivity apps from working well. 

The best tips I've seen for iphone (other than Forest which I mentioned above) are Pomodoro apps, & Focus Time - which are all based on the Pomodoro technique 

& the habit of putting the phone down somewhere where you have to stand up to go look at it. Like setting up the charging station as far away from the study station & just putting the phone there....