Menu

Is there a good Drone (not micro) that isn't $1k?

Ginevra

I'm thinking of getting a drone for DH, probably one with a camera. But how do I make heads or tails over which are good drones and which are poor quality break-in-one-use drones? I don't want to spend more than $200.

He would probably never guess I would get this for him, but he kept urging me to get a "good" one for DS as a Christmas present. (dS has a micro drone, but they tend to break quickly.) i'm not getting one for DS, but I think this actually means DH really wants one.

So can you recommend a "good" one that will most likely last?

• Like 2

I googled for "how to buy a drone" (without the quote marks).   

NOTE: Usually, I go to About.com when I have no clue about things. Also, to CNET.

This is at the top of the Google SERPs:

Where to purchase a drone?
#1 Not All drones Are Easy To Fly. If you want to buy a drone, you should first know that anything that flies is going to be hard to control. A typical quadcopter is actually physically impossible to fly, but what keeps it stable is the computer inside (typically called the flight controller)

This is the URL for the SERPs:

https://www.google.com.co/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how%20to%20buy%20a%20drone%3F

Sounds like a good gift for your DH... We live in a rural subdivision where it is flat.  We could enjoy flying it here...    :-)

Research and do your learning curve, before you click to buy. Look before you leap. That's what we are trying to do with the skates for DD.

• Like 2

Hi Danielle,

I have no answer to your questions, but that won't keep me from commenting on your thread!

I will say it sounds like an excellent gift for a DH! ;)

He would probably never guess I would get this for him, but he kept urging me to get a "good" one for DS as a Christmas present. (dS has a micro drone, but they tend to break quickly.) i'm not getting one for DS, but I think this actually means DH really wants one.

I have a similar but different theory of how to know if MomsintheGarden wants a particular gift for Christmas:  I can be sure she wants something if she tells me repeatedly that she doesn't want one. :lol:

Anyway, once you present this high-quality, under $200 drone to your husband on Christmas, can you please ask him to fly it over my FIL's house and post the video on Youtube so we can see what he is up to?  TIA! :sneaky2:

• Like 3

A good friend of mine got this for her son, 12, a year ago -- and she said it's sturdy and reliable. She's seen it land through trees and roll down hills and it's still going strong. And get this: it's only $44. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/UDI-U818A-2-4GHz-RC-Quadcopter/dp/B00D3IN11Q

Alley

I clicked on the link. It is $50.50 now, but your description is a huge recommendation for that particular item.  It has 3783 customer reviews on Amazon and a 4 star average.  

• Like 2

My son received drones for the last two x-mass. When we go fly, I am always surprised that there are no other children flying. My conclusion, parents make the mistake of purchasing too cheaply or expensively.  Either way, if the very  first drone, its gone in a day.  Like remote control airplanes--these things crash ( something else you don't see children fly) .  At the beginning,crashes are severe and frequent.  In fact, cannot do the first take-off w/o crashing.  In addition, some fly off, get stuck in trees..  So the $20 ones fall apart after the first couple of crashes, and no one bothers again  after destroying $200 x-mas day..

The model we started with was HAK907 for $45.00.  very durable and repairable. We still use it (I guess it mine now).  Then last x-mas he got a SYMA 8xhw for around $110.. I like the syma line.  They have appearance and  power of much  more expensive drones like the Phantom.   Your husband won't be embarrassed to fly this in the park. It looks like a big boy toy.    The drawback, is that the syma is not durable enough to withstand the learning curve. My plan was to upgrade to the Phantom this x-mass, but  son barely had time to fly this past year.  I am not investing $400 until he has mastery.

You could get your husband both with your budget.  Check the entire syma line.  I heard they have some very large drone in the $100-125 range.  it your husband likes flying after the syma, he can make the decision as to next level. No rush to purchase, as prices are steadily  falling.  Entry level pro quality  is now $300-400. Two years ago it was around a  $1,000.

• Like 2

OP I went into the kitchen, to tell my wife and DD about the drone for your DH. My wife was listening in Spanish and she thought I said "Drum". Do not buy your DH Drums for Christmas! We think a Drone would be a good gift for him.

Lol! Well, perhaps unfortunately, he does already have a drum kit. That's why I bought noise-cancelling headphones for myself.

My first attempt to order a drone on-line has been stymied because the drone I was all revved up to buy will not arrive by Christmas. Then DH was also talking about getting a new TV for our bedroom, an idea I had floated a couple months ago. We still have an old-style TV in there and it would be nice to have a flat screen. So, I don't know...I don't really want the TV that much, but I also am not keen to try to get a drone in a real store this busy, crazy coming week.

• Like 2

My son received drones for the last two x-mass. When we go fly, I am always surprised that there are no other children flying. My conclusion, parents make the mistake of purchasing too cheaply or expensively. Either way, if the very first drone, its gone in a day. Like remote control airplanes--these things crash ( something else you don't see children fly) . At the beginning,crashes are severe and frequent. In fact, cannot do the first take-off w/o crashing. In addition, some fly off, get stuck in trees.. So the $20 ones fall apart after the first couple of crashes, and no one bothers again after destroying $200 x-mas day..

The model we started with was HAK907 for $45.00. very durable and repairable. We still use it (I guess it mine now). Then last x-mas he got a SYMA 8xhw for around $110.. I like the syma line. They have appearance and power of much more expensive drones like the Phantom. Your husband won't be embarrassed to fly this in the park. It looks like a big boy toy. The drawback, is that the syma is not durable enough to withstand the learning curve. My plan was to upgrade to the Phantom this x-mass, but son barely had time to fly this past year. I am not investing $400 until he has mastery.

You could get your husband both with your budget. Check the entire syma line. I heard they have some very large drone in the $100-125 range. it your husband likes flying after the syma, he can make the decision as to next level. No rush to purchase, as prices are steadily falling. Entry level pro quality is now $300-400. Two years ago it was around a $1,000.

Thanks for the recs.

DH is experienced at flying RC. He had planes for years, although yes, they do all eventually meet their unfortunate ends. I think this is one reason why he is becoming annoyed with my son's cheap micro drones (he has had two, but they break). DH has not yet had a camera copter drone of his own. So I think he would enjoy it and I also think it's part of why he says he wants DS to get a "good" one and not another cheap micro drone. DH really wants to play with it himself is my guess.

• Like 2

My first attempt to order a drone on-line has been stymied because the drone I was all revved up to buy will not arrive by Christmas.

I had the same experience.  Based on the information I found here, I decided to purchase this quadcopter for DS12, but it appeared that none of the vendors would commit to Prime delivery.  I went ahead with it anyway since I didn't know what else to get him.  I liked that this unit came with lots of spare "stuff", since we are starting from scratch.

Did you end up purchasing one, Danielle?  If so, which one?

• Like 1

No, Reg, I just canned that idea. I bought DH some dress shoes last night as his gift. Not the most fun ever, but oh well. The man hates to shop and, with the exception of work boots, he has not purchased his own shoes since 1994 or so. :D

• Like 2

For anyone else that is interested.   A really good friend of mine is, well, someone that has the inside scoop on the First Person View planes and drones.  It is a small group so I don't want to get more precise.  He says that it is really best to start out with the cheapest normal controller.  If you use your iphone as the controller, you can't really upgrade to a nicer drone or plane.  Also, to really get a feel for it, you need the FPV goggles.   Even with the tiny ones, the initial outlay for the drone, controller and goggles is around $200.  

DD aged 6 surprised us by asking Santa for a "remote control bird".   Santa, DH and I looked at each other in confusion.  Since we were confused Santa said the elves hadn't created one yet, but that they were trying hard.   It wasn't until the next night, it hit me.  She'd had a blast chasing after a Tiny Whoop, and that was what she was calling a 'remote controlled bird'.   Like I told DH, She isn't going to get a $200 add-on present.  But, her birthday this summer is a possibility.  

Edited by shawthorne44
  • Like 2

I do not have the URL yet, because it will not be available to enroll in, until January 9th, but after that, I will (hopefully) remember to come back here and post the URL of a free MOOC course about small UAVs. It will be for 2 weeks in February.  I think, but am not sure, there may be a 2nd course after that. If you receive one of these, or, give one of these, it might be worth your time.  

• Like 3

I had the same experience.  Based on the information I found here, I decided to purchase this quadcopter for DS12, but it appeared that none of the vendors would commit to Prime delivery.  I went ahead with it anyway since I didn't know what else to get him.  I liked that this unit came with lots of spare "stuff", since we are starting from scratch.

Good news!  I had thought that I was trapped in Amazon "Preparing for Shipment" Purgatory (APSP), but it didn't last too long.  The unit shipped from North Carolina overnight!  Since it shipped from someplace so close, there is still a chance that it will arrive by Christmas.  Here's hoping!

• Like 3

Based on the information I found here, I decided to purchase this quadcopter for DS12, but it appeared that none of the vendors would commit to Prime delivery. I went ahead with it anyway since I didn't know what else to get him. I liked that this unit came with lots of spare "stuff", since we are starting from scratch.

Completely unsolicited comment from DS12 after two batteries' worth of flying: "This is the best Christmas present ever!"

I'm so glad we didn't buy him a pair of dress shoes! :lol:

• Like 5

Completely unsolicited comment from DS12 after two batteries' worth of flying: "This is the best Christmas present ever!"

I'm so glad we didn't buy him a pair of dress shoes! :lol:

LOL.  There is no comparison. Shoes or a Drone?    I'm glad he got something he likes!  I will try to remember to post the URL for the MOOC course, when it is available for enrollment. That should be on January 9th or 10th.  The course is 2 weeks, in February.  

• Like 3

LOL.  There is no comparison. Shoes or a Drone?

Not in Danielle's husband's world! :w00t:

No, Reg, I just canned that idea. I bought DH some dress shoes last night as his gift. Not the most fun ever, but oh well.

I will try to remember to post the URL for the MOOC course, when it is available for enrollment. That should be on January 9th or 10th. The course is 2 weeks, in February.

Thanks!
  • Like 2

RegGuheert, that is the first quadcopter my sons got 2 Christmases ago. It is really a great value for the price. This Christmas, Dad & Granddad were flying them while the boys were scootering & playing with their Syma nanos. My point is, if he takes care of it, it can lost a long time! 

• Like 2