Menu

San Diego- without kids!---update in last post

Rachel

My husband has to go to San Diego in January and I get to tag along. What should we see?

We will arrive in time for dinner Saturday then have Sunday and Monday for site-seeing. Tuesday he will be working so I can site see on my own.

I enjoy hiking and would probably enjoy seeing the beach. I saw that we will be there during whale migration season so a boat tour may be an option. Is there any cool bookstores or museums I should checkout? I'm not use to getting to go places without my kids, what's something we shouldn't miss?

Edited by Rach
  • Like 2

My husband has to go to San Diego in January and I get to tag along. What should we see?

We will arrive in time for dinner Saturday then have Sunday and Monday for site-seeing. Tuesday he will be working so I can site see on my own.

I enjoy hiking and would probably enjoy seeing the beach. I saw that we will be there during whale migration season so a boat tour may be an option. Is there any cool bookstores or museums I should checkout? I'm not use to getting to go places without my kids, what's something we shouldn't miss?

Torrey Pines State Park is a good combo of hiking and beach. I don't know what kind of transportation you'll have - I'm not sure how accessible it is without driving.

Edited by ocelotmom
  • Like 2

Oh my goodness, dh and I went there just the two of us for a few days and HANDS DOWN the most fun/romantic time we had was at Coronado Island. Take a ferry there and rent bikes. Whatever bike shop you rent from will tell you a good route to take -- there's a park and the bike path is all along the water. If you drink, park your bikes and get mango martinis at Candela's.

The next favorite thing we did was go on a kayak tour. Super fun! You see the gorgeous homes along the coast and all kinds of wildlife. There were even little (harmless) sharks swimming under our kayaks.

The Gaslamp District (where our hotel was) was also a fun place to eat dinner. 

• Like 2

Oh my goodness, dh and I went there just the two of us for a few days and HANDS DOWN the most fun/romantic time we had was at Coronado Island. Take a ferry there and rent bikes. Whatever bike shop you rent from will tell you a good route to take -- there's a park and the bike path is all along the water. If you drink, park your bikes and get mango martinis at Candela's.

The next favorite thing we did was go on a kayak tour. Super fun! You see the gorgeous homes along the coast and all kinds of wildlife. There were even little (harmless) sharks swimming under our kayaks.

The Gaslamp District (where our hotel was) was also a fun place to eat dinner.

That sounds fun! Not sure my husband will want to kayak but that is right up my alley.

• 4 weeks later...

Torrey Pines Gliderpark. It's at a wonderful location overlooking the ocean, and you can watch hang gliders take off and land. We visited twice during our last San Diego trip. It's a beautiful and relaxing place to spend the morning. Bring your binoculars if you want to get some close-ups as they fly down the coast and back.

Torrey Pines is lovely and one of my favorite places here but it's also incredibly crowded. If you go in a rental car, plan to get there early. Uber won't be an issue except for the other people on the trails/beach with you. Not that you shouldn't go, just be prepared.

Another cool ocean place is the tide pools at Cabrillo National Monument. You can tour the lighthouse and go see the tide pools. We've never seen any octopi but other people have.

Edited by felicity
  • Like 1

Torrey Pubes is lovely and one of my favorite places here but it's also incredibly crowded. If you go in a rental car, plan to get there early. Uber won't be an issue except for the other people on the trails/beach with you. Not that you shouldn't go, just be prepared.

Another cool ocean place is the tide pools at Cabrillo National Monument. You can tour the lighthouse and go see the tide pools. We've never seen any octopi but other people have.

:lol:

Update:

We ended up arriving a day later than planned due to cancelled flights through Atlanta. However, we have had a blast. We went straight from the airport to a grocery store for picnic foods then ate at Torrey Pines. We didn't do much hiking, it was packed, but we did walk along the beach a ways. We then went out to Mission Valley Regional Park and did a mini hike before dark. It gets dark so early here!

Monday in rained, which I know is desparately needed, but was disappointing. I walked along the harbor that morning while my husband worked. We were able to visit a couple stores we don't have locally, then spent the afternoon on a whale cruise. It was really neat! We saw a few sea lions, a couple gray whales, and a lot of dolphins. The dolphins kind of raced the boat which was really fun. We then drove up to Cabrillo National monument at sunset. It was beautiful looking back at San Diego!

Today I hiked at Mission Valley again, hiking to the top of 2/5 peaks in their challenge. I wish we could have arrived on time because that would have given me time to do all 5 peaks. I made a quick stop at Balboa Park on the way back to my hotel, I wish I had more time there.

I had fish tacos two nights in a row, now I need to find a place back home that makes decent fish tacos. I fly back home tomorrow. I'm already dreaming about finding cheap flights so we can bring our kids out here sometime.

• Like 4