Menu

Time for fun: What part of speech are you and why?

LOL this brings back memories! When I was in seventh grade, my Social Studies teacher knew I liked English a lot better and so he started calling me "Miss Adjective." When I told him I didn't like that, he called me "Miss Adverb" instead! So I guess I am an adverb!

Sometimes I feel like a modal verb: a modal verb indicates ability, obligation, permission or possibility. Examples: can, may, must, should, could, might, ought, would.

You can do it, dear!

I guess if your dad says you may have ice cream for breakfast, then you may!

You must pick up your dirty laundry before you ride the horse.

You really should set your alarm a bit earlier.

Well, you could take your test for your permit today, but I don't think you should until you study a bit harder.

I only said we might go out for ice cream!

You know, you ought to write a letter to your great-grandmother.

Would you please get me some more ice cream?

Thank you! This will be my topic for the next dinner party I give. I always like to have a fun question to throw out when the a discussion about politics or religion gets too heated and I want to divert everyone from the debate. Last time I used Remundamom's proposition that people who have bumper stickers are more likely to have tatoos. My dh looked at me like I was insane, but the guests quickly turned to the new topic and we had a lot of fun with it. Did I mention that I am a non sequitor? I'm sorry, once again I have digressed...

90% of the time, because I can't sit still. When I take a nap, you could call me a state of being verb, since I'm just "being".

My oldest and middle daughters are adjectives, as they are the drama queens around the house.

My youngest is another action verb, and she's very seldom a linking verb.

My dh, the most relaxed of the bunch, is either another state of being verb; when he makes a final decision on something, then he's the punctuation in the sentence, usually the period at the end of the sentence. :D