Menu

NKJV Study Bible for Kids or the Adventure Bible?

MercyA

Does anyone own the NKJV Study Bible for Kids or an Adventure Bible? If so, do you have any thoughts on them, either positive or negative? I'm trying to decide between these two and am looking for any input regarding their help sections, concordances, maps, and commentaries. This would be for a younger child who is a good reader. 

Thanks for your help!  :)

Edited by MercyA

We have an Adventure Bible and I'd say that just from looking at those two options, I like the Study Bible for Kids better!  Here's why. Both have lots of sidebars of good information, BUT the Adventure Bible seems to get more into kid life-application questions and "advice-giving" than I tend to like.  It's usually the place in a Bible or devotional where I have the most quibbles, you know?  It's not a huge issue, however it's the kind of thing that I'd want to read through thoroughly FIRST before giving to a kid who will be reading it on their own. Not a big deal overall, but it would just tip me in favor of the other Bible...unless I just didn't see samples of the same thing in that one, too!  lol  (Which is fine; again, I'm picky about details!)

• Like 1

Neither of those are what we used, but I'll just say that you could add a Keys for Kids subscription to get the devotional aspect, if the Bible you prefer doesn't have that.   :)

Personally, I'd lean toward the one with better font size and readability.

I just tried to send you a Message but could not :( What Bible  did you use? We will be looking for our Kindergartener when she finishes her first Sparks book and she is not at the point, reading wise, where her brother was at this time.

My kids have the NIrV "leather" adventure bibles. I talked to my pastor grandfather quite a bit about it before my initial purchase because I don't love that translation as much. He said just get them a bible they will read, this isn't the Bible they will study from when they get older, but it is the bible they will learn to love. My son has learned quite a bit from the informational sections. I don't recall anything that I have blatantly disagreed with, but we have discussed that the discussion panels are one person's interpretation of the bible and that this bible is not the most accurate translation.

I agree about getting a bigger font. I bought my 4 year old the backpack bible which has very small font, it is difficult to read! He isn't reading yet, but he takes it to Sunday school and I highlight his memory verses in it.

• Like 1

I don't usually care for children's Bibles, but I've been using the Adventure Bible for my third grade boys' Sunday school class because the church has provided enough copies for all of the children to use (many do not bring a Bible to church). Turns out I really, really like it!

The print is very readable and clear for the children; so much easier for them to locate passages than in the Discover NIVr or in a regular NIV. The sidebar information is interesting yet entirely ignorable while reading. The graphics and info are not at all distracting. The maps are sufficient for our third grade purposes, and the hardcover spine is tough enough for constant use (including the shoving in the cupboard that I can't seem to prevent, at the end of each class).

I like it so much that I'm going to buy my own copy, as a person who has never bought a "youth" Bible. (I do buy toddler and preschooler children's Bibles.)

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
  • Like 1

My son's first non-storybook Bible was an NIrV Adventure Bible and we really liked it. My daughter now has the same one, with the exception that hers is fake purple leather with a flower and his was fake green leather with a lizard. To be honest I've never looked thoroughly at the sidebars or anything, but, in glancing through, I've never seen anything I thought was wrong. At this age, I think the goal is to give them a Bible they can understand and enjoy reading. If it's fun and colorful that's more likely to attract some kids, mine included.

• Like 2

I just tried to send you a Message but could not :( What Bible  did you use? We will be looking for our Kindergartener when she finishes her first Sparks book and she is not at the point, reading wise, where her brother was at this time.

Sorry, I let my inbox get full.  We used an NIrV with her.  You can google for reading levels, but runs in my mind it's around a 1st or 2nd gr reading level.  I'm too tired right now to get up and get it (like literally, I have a cold that is trying to turn into pneumonia), but I used a Bible with my ds this year that I LOVED.  It was just right.  He turned 8 this fall and is dyslexic.  It's downstairs and I'm just too tired.  I can look it up later.  Can't remember the publisher.  But what I liked about it was reasonable retellings that worked through the entire Bible, with only maybe 3 sentences and an illustration per page.  Size was like 5" high.  So not huge, not overwhelming.  

For him, that was a really good amount, and working through it was a real accomplishment!

Here, I think it may have been this.  Notice the nice font, the layout that isn't overwhelming  I am picky about art, so we just talked about it.  

The Beginner's Bible: Timeless Children's Stories: Kelly Pulley: 9780310709626: Amazon.com: Books

Edited by OhElizabeth

Is this the Zondervan adventure bible? My SIL works for that branch of their publishing division and sends us all the free book samples - both that and the little kids adventure bible audio and book companions are quite well done. It's not my preferred version by any stretch but if it's the one your church or family uses they're very nice. Not a great cross linked index if I recall, but basic definitions, a few verses for various topics, and good maps. Binding and page quality were both excellent.