Menu

Is AARP membership worth it?

mum

Someone in our house turns 50 next year. I have seen that some businesses or restaurants give discounts to those 50+ (age varies by business) and some say, "with AARP membership". Who has any experience with this and what have you learned?

Thank you! Ever on a quest to be more frugal!

• Like 1

Someone in our house turns 50 next year. I have seen that some businesses or restaurants give discounts to those 50+ (age varies by business) and some say, "with AARP membership". Who has any experience with this and what have you learned?

Thank you! Ever on a quest to be more frugal!

No.  Not for me.  I don't shop enough to make it worth my while.  You might.   They have a few coupons but nothing I need, nor is any price I can get through AARP better than I can get on my own through other sources.  I like the magazine though. 

I was an AARP member, until they raised the dues for Overseas Americans so much that I dropped it. It was like one year it was $8 (?) and the next year it was $24 (?) and I did not renew.   I remember (and believe) that at that time, they had the best (highest) discounts for car rentals. Probably good discounts in many hotels too, but you can also get those with AAA membership.

I've heard that the group insurance is a benefit, but don't know by experience. We have AAA and use that for hotel and car rental discounts. The hotel staff have told me that AAA discounts are better than AARP's AAA membership costs more but their benefits are in line with our needs and preferences so that's ok by us.

You might want to look into their lobbyist activities and let that help decide if you want to contribute to them or not. Some people support them, some people vehemently oppose them. But it is a powerful organization either way you feel about them, so I would take that (supporting their activities) into account every bit as much as the benefits you'll receive provided when deciding.

If you are working through issues related to retirement and aging, the magazine is considered one of the very best on those topics.

We haven't found that the discounts are that great at this point, although over time that may change.

AAA has good discounts, and most places either take your word or look at your driver's license for discounts.

You might want to look into their lobbyist activities and let that help decide if you want to contribute to them or not. Some people support them, some people vehemently oppose them. But it is a powerful organization either way you feel about them, so I would take that (supporting their activities) into account every bit as much as the benefits you'll receive provided when deciding.

That's exactly what I was going to say. Make sure you agree with what they do with that money as well as whether the discounts are worth it.

• Like 1