Menu

Panini press....do I want one and which one?

Ottakee

My friend has a panini press and I love the sandwiches I have made at her house on it. It just seems so simple and easy and without the added butter of grilling a sandwich.

Those of you that have them, do you really use it regularly? What else can you make on it? Which features would I want or not need?

Likely I should have thought of this more yesterday for Cyber Monday deals.

I love mine but I confess that I do still lightly butter the bread. Flavor, man!

I also grill chicken and make burgers on it...closing the lid and cooking both sides of a piece of chicken or a burger at the same time really speeds up dinner prep!  I grill veggies on it and make fajitas.  Last weekend we made what we call little hamburgers. A pound and a half of meat made into 24 tiny patties and they all fit on the open panini grill.  Topped them with cheese and put each one on half a hawaiian roll...it was a fun lunch for all six of us and took minutes to make. 

I really like pounding chicken breasts thin and grilling them on the panini and topping with cheese, pickled onion, mushrooms, bacon, avocado, bell pepper, or whatever. No bun, just juicy grilled chicken with some veggies as a side dish. 

ETA: I have the Cuisinart Griddler. It has plates that reverse and remove for washing. One side is flat and the other is ridged. I've had it for about a decade and it's well used. 

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 1

I have a Griddler, which you can do paninis on.  Mine also has a waffle plate :D  I love having it on the counter.  We do quick quesadillas, paninis, grilled cheese, and I can cook frozen burgers on it quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Griddler-Panini-Bundle-Attachment/dp/B01IFVQX88/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1480474664&sr=8-9&keywords=griddler

(they also have a cheaper version without the waffle plates)

I want one too bc I think we might start eating sandwiches this way which would simplify my life. But I think most have Teflon :(

This one has ceramic plates- I didn't realize that was an option!

https://www.amazon.com/Oster-DuraCeramic-Panini-Maker-Grill/dp/B00FR6RCBM

Seems the biggest drawback is that the plates don't come out, but reviews say it wipes down easily.

I always think I want a panini press. I wonder how much I would actually use one. 

This one has ceramic plates- I didn't realize that was an option!

https://www.amazon.com/Oster-DuraCeramic-Panini-Maker-Grill/dp/B00FR6RCBM

Seems the biggest drawback is that the plates don't come out, but reviews say it wipes down easily.

I always think I want a panini press. I wonder how much I would actually use one. 

If I couldn't remove the plates on my panini press I probably wouldn't use it at all.  I cook a lot of meat on mine and wiping it down isn't enough for me.  Years ago my mom had a George Foreman and the plates didn't come off...it was a pain to keep clean.  But if you want to avoid a nonstick surface, you're probably more willing to take additional time to clean one w ceramic plates.  

I have one that I really like. The brand is breadman.  It belonged to my aunt, so it's pretty old.  It does have a very non-stick surface, but it's doing fine.  It would never occur to me not to use oil.  I actually use mayonnaise spread on the outside of the bread instead of butter b/c it has a higher burning point than butter. It's a cute cook's trick I learned and really like.

But I do actually use the panini press more than I thought we would.  It can also be used for quesadillas. And we have grilled cheese or tuna melts once a week, especially during Nutcracker season (which is now).

I mostly like it because I can make at least two at a time. That is really the only thing, for me, that makes it better than cooking a sandwich in a pan.

• Like 1